| NEWS D'Eriq King, Houston QB, announces he's entering the transfer portal.

17Champs

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
All eyes on whether he's looking at LSU?

There is no eligibility issue with King since he graduated from Houston in December.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
I'm watching what we see from Kendal and D'Eriq with Pittman and Arkansas. People are pointing to the success King had at Houston in the 2018 season which was under Briles as his QB coach and OC.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Dana Holgorsen had him redshirt at Houston and now D'Eriq goes into the transfer portal....priceless. Ole Dana could be in for another long year in Cougar land.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
So, was the story with this kid last year he blew out his knee after setting pretty much every AAC passing record and then was struggling to learn Holgerson's offense so they decided to redshirt him and give him another year?

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I am not sure whether it was Holgersen or D'Eriq who actually made the decision to shut it down last year. If memory serves me correctly, D'Eriq, played 3-4 games and then all of a sudden he and a WR magically decided to redshirt. Head scratching for sure IMO. Holgersen put all his eggs in the basket to have these two players back for the 2020 season and the basket fell off the shelf and splattered all over the floor if they do transfer.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I know there are several transfers on the defensive side that he's banking on making them much better next year, so I'm wondering if this was something that was all Holgerson thinking he would have a better team overall by redshirting those guys on offense and just sacrificing this season?

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
And just to point to that they may legit have some dudes on defense waiting in the wings...

These are the guys that they have as transfers on defense that had to sit out this past season...
  • Marcus Jones (Troy) - 3-star cornerback, was an All American kick returner and All-Sun Belt cornerback, kick returner and all-purpose. Easily the fastest guy on their team. He also played literally every spot in the secondary at Troy and receiver.
  • Eyabi Anoma (Alabama) - We all know this guy. 5* linebacker that left Alabama. He's gonna play DE at Houston.
  • Thabo Mwaniki (Oklahoma State) - Starting safety at OSU before transferring 3*
  • Kelvin Clemmons (Minnesota) - Former big (6-2) cornerback that went JUCO and then signed with Minnesota before leaving after spring. 3*
  • Hasaan Hypolite (Colorado) - Safety that got kicked off Colorado's team. 3*

Also have a receiver from TCU.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
We know how the media likes to portray a story every now and then. I recall that during a Houston telecast, they announcers said that Holgerson had asked several of his juniors and even seniors to redshirt in order to build up some age and experience with his team. Again, the media presents a narrative that doesn't always tell the truth. For example, did anyone catch Herbstreit embellishing a bit on the Joe Burrow story? He said the Joe had been a 2* QB recruit coming out of HS and only had 1 offer. I called BULLSHIT and outed Herbie on Twitter. In fact, Joe was a 4* QB recruit that was ranked as the 8th best duel threat QB in the nation and #280 player overall, plus holding multiple offers!!!! Damn Herbie!!! You had 2 weeks to fact check things! The rags to riches story wasn't quite so rags after all.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
IMO, he (Holgersen) found out real quick that he was low on talent and age. He decided to ask select players to redshirt so they would have another year under their belts, in addition to this years recruits and any players that would transfer in to Houston. Its bit him in the butt with his QB entering the transfer portal. Of course, he could come back but I would bet against it.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
@BamaBoyJosh it was late 3rd maybe early 4th quarter when he said it. I rewound it just to make sure I heard it right.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
This roster management decision by Dana is questionable. It should have gotten more press than it did. Start the season 1-3 and you effectively quit asking players to redshirt for next season.

Top Bottom