| RECRUIT ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Defensive Tackle, Tim Keenan, (6-2, 340lb) commits to Alabama!

Tidestalker

Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Not overly impressed with the film, or that particular type of player, but I'm sure CNS has a vision for how to use him valuably.

While I've been touting the idea of getting as athletic and versatile as possible on the DL, we've also seen a slight dip in run defense. I'm thinking this kid and the ILB Blackshire are pieces to address that!

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
You know what I find funny here, TS. I remember people saying the same thing just a few years ago; class of 2015, another Defensive tackle. He ended up being the 13th pick in the first round of the 2018 draft.

Keenan is a STRONG kid; perfect type to plug the middle in this defense. Remember the scheme here, right? Not only that from what I've learned he's a really good kid as well: "a high character player" is a term I've seen on several occasions.

Now, let me pose a question to you.

If the S&C department can develop a guy like Da'ron Payne what do you think Dr. Reah and Coach Ballou can accomplish with Keenan?

Tidestalker

Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
There's no doubt he will improve his physique and athleticism at UA. And I love hearing the high character aspect... That goes such a long way in development and ability to contribute early for CNS.

I've just gotten to the point where I see being able to get a QB to the ground as most important. D. Payne was like 30-40 pounds lighter than this kid out of HS, and simply more athletic. DJ Dale probably a good comparison as a bigger body, and had a good freshman year. I'm more intrigued with the dudes who can disrupt and create negative plays... Like Q Williams/Barrimore.... I think they impact the game most now a days. (I know, different packages = different players, etc.) JMO

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Payne had a much different natural body. I read Keenan showed up at a camp at 6'1 380. That would be way overweight. Payne is a natural giant and freak of nature that is rarely seen given he didn't have tons of bad weight. Keenan can and will drop much of that, but there's work to do.

Destiny's Child

It's Rolling Baby
Century Club
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Hi TS, I mentioned a little earlier in this post about this kid as I have seen him on the hoof. When I saw hi last I would say he was shorter than what they have him listed as and he was definitely a big powerful kid but he was very agile and hostile. He doesn't move like a guy that big so if they can convert some belly fat to muscle he could be a beast.
I do understand what you are saying about the Mount Cody's and the jesse Williams of the world and I agree with you.. They dont really fit against today's offenses. Mainly because of the lack of endurance and atheleticism but in this kids defense he moves like a much smaller guy

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
He's in the 335-340 range right now. He camped at Bama in June of 2018. I have a hard time believing he was 380 two years ago. Where did you read that? In March of 2019 he weighed in at 325 when he took a visit during Junior Day at Bama. And that was one of a lot of visits he's taken to the Capstone.

One thing I believe is important to keep in mind as well. He has been involved with Freddie Roach since he was a young 'un. People have seen the potential there for a long time.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I read that on the SEC rant site. They could definitely be wrong. And I don't believe anyone mentioned he camped in 2018 - they were talking like he was currently 80 lbs overweight.

Again, despite any reservations, if Saban, Kirby, and Orgeron all want Keenan, he has to be a player.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Oh, they're wrong on this one. I went back after I posted that and did a little research just to make sure I had my numbers right. Is the Thursday before April fool's day is when he weighed in 2018. Then again last year...again this year. A person doesn't just gain and drop 80 lbs like that.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
10 CT this morning

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Keenan commits to Bama.

B

Bama News

The giants of Alabama’s defensive line have been forged from iron in recent years. The Crimson Tide’s last three nose tackles, starting with Daron Payne in 2016 have called Birmingham home.

Alabama replaced Payne, the 13th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, with Quinnen Williams, who went third overall in the 2019 NFL Draft.
The latest tackle to suit up for the Crimson Tide is returning starter, and sophomore, D.J. Dale. On Saturday, Alabama found his possible successor when four-star defensive tackle Tim Keenan III, also from Birmingham, became the 20th overall 2021 prospect to commit to Alabama.

“I definitely see Tim being that first-round draft pick one day,” Keenan’s trainer Kevin Brown said. “And that’s just me over the course of the years just understanding and knowing what it takes to get there. Being able to work with so many guys that have done it.”

The list of players Brown has trained is long, and it does happen to include Payne, Williams and Dale. When asked to compare Keenan to his Birmingham predecessors Brown, the owner of Xtreme Fitness and Performance, said he sees a lot in common between Alabama’s latest commitment and the guy that started this ridiculous run of local dominance.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. That's a large human being. I would be be some rebuilding if his body after he arrives on campus to help him be more effective.

Top Bottom