| FTBL Defense needs major fixing

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Not the same offenses that are proliferating today. The precursor maybe but nothing like today. You forget how urbs was basically ran out of the conference by old style defense. Then again you are just a rude shit stirrer with 4 posts and not coming on THE Bama site until after the regular season. I smell roasted troll.

Then again this thread was started by someone such as yourself.

BamaFisher

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Reaction score
One thing I noticed last night was the OSU linebackers (particularly that top tier Tuf Borland) get torched trying to keep up with skilled WRs. Seems Bama isn’t alone in the department of having a linebacker trying to cover elite receivers and not having a shutdown. Maybe this hand wringing is a product of better offensive schemes and defenses that struggle to get stops.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I think what you are looking at are these spread concepts that puts WR's in positions that normally are covered by LB's. Those are indeed mismatches for any defense. If you bring in an additional DB it would help but there is a cost in run support unless you have the DL that can control the run w/o that extra LB body. These OC's are getting paid a lot of money to figure out how to create mismatches. That is their job and they are doing it well.

Crtuneman

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I will say the defense played better last night. Yes offenses are going to score points and OSU has some talented players, so I'm not upset with them scoring 24 points. But we saw some of the same problems last night that have plagued the team all year. Specifically the run defense. Our linebackers, notably Moses and Harris, have been out of position all year and have been a step slow. I think if Trey Sermon had played the whole game he would have gotten a lot of yards. I think the problem is that Bama has always had a group of nasty inside linebackers ever since Saban arrived, and this year we simply don't have anyone that fits the bill. I'm not sure if that is talent or coaching, but it is a fact that neither Moses nor Harris can hold a candle to guys like Hightower, McClain, Mosley, etc. And we are still missing tackles. That problem should have been fixed by game 4 or 5. IMO we need a change at DC in order to get some fire back in these players. see a few guys playing with that fire and nastiness that makes a Bama defense, but not the whole defense. And that, I think, is leadership and coaching. I rewatched the 2018 title game with Georgia, and I realized that every single player in the two deep rotation is in the NFL, and most of them are starters. Compare that to this year and I see a handful of guys that may play in the NFL, but I don't think they can start, outside of Surtain. Maybe the young guys like Allen and Moore will prove to be elite, they are still young. But that is my take on the defense. And even that elite defense gave up points to fast paced offenses. So no defense is perfect. Not anymore.

Reaction score
Hopefully Bill Obrien will be able to keep the offense operating at a high level.....I wonder if Nick is going to bring in another QB for the roster. Not sure how that would be received by the young QB.

94 Grad

Century Club
Reaction score
Defense played great last night. Missing several key players for most of the game in the secondary and still performed well. A couple of bad fits by the safety and run support gave them some yardage in a couple of bad coverage is in the secondary is all I saw. That’s pretty damn good for 60 minute game. I don’t expect that they’re going to be perfect for every single play the other team had some players to and sometimes they win.

c5vetman

Verified Member
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
my best friend kept texting me during the game, and he's one of these debbie downer types. Every message was about how we stink on D and how we can't tackle, can't cover, whatever. I always tell him to calm down and wait and see, or I tell him to quit watching the game, he's bad luck, etc... Last night I got so fed up with it, I had to tell him at one point that they only had 260 yards total in the whole game and we were up by like 21 at the time. He's a lifelong Bama fan, but I swear he is never happy with the D no matter what the score is. Some guys are just like that.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Where have I been? Watching the evolution of college football and based on that knowledge I'm sitting here knowing a defense from the first decade of this century won't stop an offense of today. And that's the point...when have we seen a Strong defense stop one of today's offenses? We haven't because he hasn't. What did he stop at Louisville? Or Texas? Or South Florida?

Crtuneman

Sideline Club
Reaction score
So here is the big question: who is next? Putting aside the Golding issue, who do we have coming back that can improve this defense? I'm mainly focusing on the ones with experience, not the elite talent we signed this year. I like the young guys on the DL like Smith, Young, and Burroughs. And of course Ray will probably be back along with Mathis and Eboigbe and Dale. Barmore most likely gone. But at LB I'm still concerned. Harris comes back, hopefully will be the man. Shane Lee comes back, can he be improved enough to make an impact? Drew Sanders is a baller but not sure if he can be the man. Of course Allen and Anderson are both studs and will greatly improve our pass rush. Will Moody be the man to step up? Parks? Mwikuta? Kaho? Robinson? I think the secondary will be great next year with Branch and Moore and Hellams and Armour-Davis, among others. But it's the LB position, specifically the ILB, that needs to improve. But the good thing is that we have a bunch of elite talent coming in that can make an impact. They will lack experience but they should be ready to play. I think the defense next year will actually be much better.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
If you look at the stats from last night the run defense we actually good last night. I think their two top rushers had around 60 yards a piece. One of those was Fields who got a lot of his on one run where #3 took the wrong angle and missed the tackle. These guys held their own against what was supposed to be the strength of tOSU. Honestly I was pleased with how well the Defense did given how prolific their offense had been. Now a lot of that was helped by the differences in time of possession where I think Bama held around a 37 minute to 23 minute advantage.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Most of us know someone like that... family member, friend, co-worker, the Tide Pride member that sits directly behind you in Bryant-Denny, etc... And while they are often good, well-meaning folks, none of them deserve the happiness that comes with Alabama's unprecedented success.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Reaction score
It's impossible to play great defense week after week.

Which DC out there hasn't been de-pantsed and exposed completely the past couple years?

Venables? LOL
Kirby/Lanning? LOL
Coombs? LOL
Grinch? LOL
Grantham? LOL

Every DC out there has been torched because it's impossible to defend some of these offenses.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
They've been held to under 350 yards 3 times in the last 4 seasons. In 7 games (including Clemson, they averaged 544)

2020 - 341 vs Alabama (7 game average 544)
2018 - 347 vs Michigan State
2017 - 277 vs Southern California

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
The only way to stop the offenses of today is all of your LBs and DBs need to be 6’5” 260 lbs, run like Waddle with Smitty’s hands.

MunchyOs

auburn h8r
Century Club
Reaction score
Doggone. We won the national title, right? What was so bad about the defense last night? Really and truly, we could have won 52-17 or even 52-10. Take away the fumble early on and the targeting, and we definitely hold them to less. The defense came a long way since the Ole Miss game. Granted there were some hard matchups last night but, I think they held their own pretty well against a high powered OSU offense.

Tidestalker

Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
To add on to the defensive praise & areas of improvement - Something I noticed in the last 5+ games or so, was how quickly our Defensive players popped up and either got back to their position/the LOS/sideline. It was like clock work. It helps in so many ways because we were able to sub even when the 'O' was going hurry up and designed to not let us sub... It allowed the D to get their eyes on the 'D' calls earlier... And it also allowed for better teammate communication up to the snap.

Clearly I'm not a football coach but it was something that I could really notice that was drilled and emphasized. Whether the D made a TFL, gave up a big play, PBU, etc., they really hustled to to the next action. That was extremely well coached!

Top Bottom