NEWS Deandre Baker said UGA wasn't prepared for Jalen Hurts. Just not enough time to prepare for two QBs

'65 Cobra

Verified Member
I hate to tell him but the way Hurts played wasn't any different from the calls that would have been made if Tua was in. He was just healthy and able to throw. I stand firm in the belief with a healthy Tua we beat the brakes off Georgia. They were just fortunate to hobble his ankle in the first series.
Agree 100%

BamaFan334

Verified Member
While you can clearly see the difference between our two quarterbacks, the entire offense is relatively the same. Tua runs the ball too you know. How can you say you did not practice for both, knowing one was hurt, and that you've played against the other last season? I mean, that just screams "unprepared" if you ask me.
Not to pick on him, but with Jalen (in the past) our passing offense was a run. Jalen has improved this year, but he'll pull it and run before Tua does.
I agree with you. I was just trying to say that we don't go from a traditional passing offense to a speed option offense with our 1st and 2nd string guys. I'm flabbergasted that Curbee didn't plan for both, making the same mistake he made in January. I'll let him slide on the January one, but this game had all signs that Hurts would play in some way, shape, or form.

I hate to tell him but the way Hurts played wasn't any different from the calls that would have been made if Tua was in. He was just healthy and able to throw. I stand firm in the belief with a healthy Tua we beat the brakes off Georgia. They were just fortunate to hobble his ankle in the first series.
Agree 100%
Makes you wonder if Tua is doing something that is keying the play call that UGA has pickup on?

What I think it comes down to in reality is that they looked at what Tua does well and schemed to take those things away... certain routes or reads that he is seeing that Tua prefers. UGA would scheme to make that harder on him. Since Hurts has a different comfort level with different plays than Tua does... the scheming they did might not suite well. Example, Tua likes to throw down field much more than roll out or run the ball. If you hide your coverage well, this might really throw him off his reads, thus making him hold it longer in pocket (as we saw). I did notice that UGA would blitz the LB if the RB released to the outlet. They then would cover the RB with a safety or DB instead of the LB. This caused us all kinds of trouble in the first half... We seemed to adjust to it in the second half. So for Tua who may stay in the pocket and take the dump off read, it gave him trouble. Hurts is more likely to roll out of the pocket than dump off the the RB, so that coverage/scheme wouldn't be as effective.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
When Jalen took over Locks was on the phone with him asking what calls he liked to run during practice, what he felt comfortable with running Saturday, and that's the direction they went. The play calls weren't the same. The offense being productive remained the same. What we saw out of Jalen we could have seen from a healthy Tua. However, based on what Locks has said, the calls/plan were not the same.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
However, based on what Locks has said, the calls/plan were not the same.
Biggest difference I saw was using roll out with Hurts and the called QB draws. I think there are definitely 2 sets of plays depending on which QB is in the game. That is not a bad thing IMO

I still say the excuse by the UGA player is bullcrap

In all fairness to Georgia (that was hard to say), they did take it to us for about 2 1/2 quarters. Very similar to last year. I have never seen another team be more physical at the line of scrimmage than a saban coached team but the last two first halves with Georgia has been that way. I remember thinking so this is what being bama'd feels like. Georgia just cannot sustain that level of intensity and plan for a full 60 minutes and Bama can.

When Jalen took over Locks was on the phone with him asking what calls he liked to run during practice, what he felt comfortable with running Saturday, and that's the direction they went. The play calls weren't the same. The offense being productive remained the same. What we saw out of Jalen we could have seen from a healthy Tua. However, based on what Locks has said, the calls/plan were not the same.

But what Jalen ran wasn't something completely alien to their preparation for Tua.

But what Jalen ran wasn't something completely alien to their preparation for Tua.
That's not really true...

For example,

Tua in 3 quarters of play had 1 QB run.
Hurts in less than 1 quarter of play, had 5.

Simply put, Hurts is more likely to bail the pocket and roll out and run if he can't find someone to throw to. Tua, is more likely to sit in the pocket and move down his progression rather than run the ball. That being the case, your coverage with Hurts in the game would need to lean more to Zone rather than Man to Man AND the way your pressure the QB will change.

musso

Verified Member
So how gassed was the GA defense at that point? Going for the 4th and 11 from mid-field seems like a total desperation move.
If they were "gassed" at that point then it doesn't say much for them considering Georgia ran 20+ more plays than Alabama did. Losers look for excuses and Georgia has thrown out as many excuses as I've ever seen anyone.
I'm pretty sure Bama's previous possession was a 16-play drive. So yes, there was a discrepancy in total plays, but the UGA defense could have been gassed at that juncture. Honestly, that is the only rationale I can imagine to justify Kirby's call. Just utterly insane on a 4th and 11.

I'm pretty sure Bama's previous possession was a 16-play drive. So yes, there was a discrepancy in total plays, but the UGA defense could have been gassed at that juncture. Honestly, that is the only rationale I can imagine to justify Kirby's call. Just utterly insane on a 4th and 11.

Being gassed doesn't add up. We didn't run that many plays and why would you give an opponent half a field to beat you with 5 minutes to play with the score tied? Kirby panicked when Bama started controlling the second half of football. When you panic, you can't remember your name. He stopped trusting the process and let emotion dictate the outcome. Coach Saban can only teach the process, he can't make you a true believer.

Top Bottom