| FTBL Dabo on a 12 team playoff: There aren't 12 teams good enough? He's right.

"I knew when it went to four, it was going to become all about the playoff, and when it goes to 12, it's going to become more about the playoff, but it's inevitable," Swinney said. "Some people will say, 'Well you've been in the playoff. If we can get in with four, we're going to get in with 12.' Our odds aren't going to go down, so it's not about that.

"Our team isn't for it. They don't want to play more games. And to be honest with you, I don't know if there's 12 teams good enough. So you're going to play more games just to play more games. And I think the more you expand it, the less important the season becomes and the more you become the NFL, as far as all right, you're in the playoffs? Well, you know, why play Trevor [Lawrence] in this game if you're already in? All of a sudden you're not in the top 12 and kids just aren't playing."

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
Dabo nailed it. There haven't been 4 teams good enough and now we have to wade through 12.... ugghh!

Definitely been a blow out in each playoff since inception. Three decent teams a year I feel. Oklahoma and Alabama was one I could have highlighted, but we let off the pedal and they made an effort to make it close in the end, even though the game was never in doubt.

1626897437776.png

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Mark my words.

"Meaningless playoff game" is a phrase soon to be heard in each and every postseason.
But a matchup in cfp.....has more interest than same teams playing in a meaningless bowl...!

and how can any "playoff game " be meaningless....?
Don’t understand!
one moves forward...to a quarterfinal round....thats same as final 8....

but...given that....taking this....
It sure eliminates the prestige of being in playoffs...

like being in ncaa bball tournament...or being in a bowl....which use to be a big deal to make a bowl or make bball tournament...

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
So these 12 teams would be played in a regular bowl game? Right/May? How the last three teams will be picked to play? Because one of those will get a bye?

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
But a matchup in cfp.....has more interest than same teams playing in a meaningless bowl...!

and how can any "playoff game " be meaningless....?
Don’t understand!
one moves forward...to a quarterfinal round....thats same as final 8....

but...given that....taking this....
It sure eliminates the prestige of being in playoffs...

like being in ncaa bball tournament...or being in a bowl....which use to be a big deal to make a bowl or make bball tournament...

You think Alabama vs Coastal Carolina or Indiana would be meaningful? Clemson vs Indiana or Iowa State? Below are the rankings last year before the Playoff. With six or eight teams I still think you can keep it relatively interesting. I like four, but if my hand was forced I'd do six or eight, not twelve. No way on Earth Cincinnati, Georgia, Iowa State, Indiana, or Coastal Carolina win the National Championship. Almost impossible for even Notre Dame, Texas A&M, and Florida to even do it. Oklahoma had a chance, but a small one. The tier is very small of teams that could win it all.

1627051653613.png

TerryP

Ivory Club
General interest.
May not for you
But for me

otherwise Why would they believe the expanded playoffs will generate more money?'
More money for the networks, schools, conferences doesn't change the ball game or its participants. Players are already sitting out NY6 bowl games. They'll do the same for Podunct U vs Football U. Why? Because it's a meaningless playoff game.

Just because you change the name doesn't change the game or the product.

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Century Club
C'mon y'all... We all knew the playoff expansion was coming especially in our "Everybody gets a trophy" culture.

Now we are going to have to deal with who is playing in these games. But on the bright side, I have always wanted to see another enactment of starting the 1st team at the beginning of the second half. That would be EPIC to beat the hell out of snowflake team like that.

mando

Sideline Club
Team A plays Team B in a bowl game that's considered meaningless.
Team A plays Team B in a playoff game that will be considered, and aptly called, meaningless.

If the ingredients are the same the product is the same. There is nothing in life that is an outlier to that statement.
By ingredients do you mean just the two teams? If broader then the venue and certainly what is at stake are not the same. Likely more eyes than you would have gotten normally.

I do believe some of these games are a formality (meaningless?) and the higher seed will be expected and most likely win (1 vs 12 if that is how it works). In the basketball tournament the cinderellas always create a lot of hype.

Top Bottom