• Guest Holiday graphics can be disabled in your preferences. Happy Holidays!

| FTBL Dabo is just a clown. He'd never last or be able to handle a job like Bama's.

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
The upside is he has grown into a coach and he knows what it means to be here. He supposedly told his '92 teammates at the reunion that " he'd crawl on glass to be the coach here". If anyone has the confidence to follow saban it's dabo. I also think he'd drop the poor ole us schtick ...he knows it wouldn't play well here

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
And the ACC isn’t better next year...and clemson s Outta conference game is...
Notre Dame
But come on...Dabo is doing a hellva a job...

Bama Club
Reaction score
He has done a great job keeping his staff intact that's very important treat them right and pay them well.

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
The think about his staff is no one is beating down their doors ...makes it easier to stay. Only cokehead venables is really highly coveted by other programs.

c5vetman

Verified Member
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Who has come a callin? I haven't heard of anyone, though I don't really pay much attention to other schools. I know he's a great D coach, but I haven't heard of anyone even asking for an interview... I'm sure I'm wrong, but name a few, please...

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Venables name is thrown around a lot by media and boards but I never hear of any actual contacts.

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
My point is it's easy to keep coaches when they're not being courted by other programs. Contrast that with Spurrier saying a few years ago that " people need to try to hire away some of that Alabama staff"

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Gotcha didn't take it that way ...and you're right about it being a no name staff, I think Todd Bates is the DL coach.

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
And to further your point .. the fact that no one is calling them is something the pundits who praise dabo for staff retention are conveniently leaving out.

S

SEC Sports

CLEMSON — Dabo Swinney on Tuesday railed against this season’s media coverage of Clemson, echoing a tone used by some politicians on both sides of the aisle and claiming that mass portrayal of the Tigers has been inaccurate and misleading.

On the same morning 16 Clemson players were named to the All-ACC team, Swinney complained that many people have missed out on a “beautiful season” from the Tigers, who are No. 3 in the College Football Playoff rankings ahead of this weekend’s ACC Championship against Virginia.

“I just think other programs get the benefit of the doubt,” he said. “Last year’s team we had a lot of superstar guys. We were portrayed differently. And the crazy thing is this team is playing way better than last year’s team. It’s not even really close.”

Last season, Clemson won the national championship by defeating Alabama, 44-16, to become the first 15-0 team in the sport’s history. Swinney labeled it the “best ever.” High expectations followed this season, with Clemson starting the campaign ranked No. 1 in the AP Top 25.

Perception shifted after the Tigers’ 21-20 win on Sept. 28 at North Carolina, which finished the regular season with a 6-6 record. Swinney said Tuesday there’s been too much emphasis on that game, which Clemson won by stopping UNC on two-point conversion attempt in the final minutes.

“The story, instead of who we are and how we play, the story’s been about, we played a close game, we don’t play anybody; which is totally disrespectful for other teams,” Swinney said.

The Tigers rank No. 66 in the nation in strength of schedule, per Jeff Sagarin’s rankings.

Swinney has vigorously defended the ACC this season, and on Tuesday he noted the league has 10 bowl-eligible teams.

“It’s a very deep league,” he said of the ACC, which does not have a team other than Clemson ranked in the top 20 in the nation in scoring offense or scoring defense.

Only two ACC teams — Clemson and Virginia — have won more than eight games this season. The Big Ten has six such teams and the Big Ten has five.

Paul Finebaum, a commentator for ESPN and the SEC Network, has been a vocal critic of Clemson, and on Tuesday morning’s edition of ESPN’s Get Up he called Swinney “the most annoying winner in all of sports.”

“Somebody just give the man a pacifier, send him to timeout,” Finebaum said, in reference to Swinney’s comments this past weekend that the CFP committee doesn’t want Clemson in the top four.

Finebaum’s comments were relayed back to Swinney during Tuesday’s press conference. Clemson’s coach said he harbors no ill will toward Finebaum or any media member in particular, but he continued to point out what he believes to be wrongheaded narratives associated with his team.

“I think last year’s team was portrayed great,” Swinney said. “They didn’t focus on who we played. ... They focused on how we played.

“This year’s team has been the exact opposite. I’m not sure anybody knows who (first-team All-ACC safety) Tanner Muse is! Do you know how good a year Tanner Muse has had? He’s been unbelievable.”

College and professional sports thrive on drama, with differences on the field spilling over into social media feeds and reporters’ notebooks. That dynamic is exacerbated in college football, where mismatches and blowouts abound during the regular season.

On Tuesday, Swinney leaned into the back-and-forth, kicking off the day’s news cycle with a steady stream of fresh soundbites. Late in the session, he claimed Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence, who attracted some early criticism this season after a string of interceptions, should be a finalist for the Heisman Trophy.

“Still talk about Trevor throwing interceptions,” Swinney said. “They don’t talk about all the touchdowns. Trevor, they thought he was good last year. He’s so much better now than he was last year at any point. He’s twice the quarterback right now than he was in the national championship game, when everybody was crowning him the king of football.”

Finally, after 48 minutes at the lectern, Swinney took his cue from a Clemson public relations official. He smiled, shuffled his papers. The show was just about over, but Swinney had one last thing to say. He leaned into the microphone:

“Alright! See y’all in Charlotte!”

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
But you and others only know what the media is saying...
We...none of us really knows.... withmoney he is making...and working for Dabo...
He may very be known is intentions are to stay there....
the criticism is due to ...just envy....period...
Great recruiting..great preparation.... great play....whats not to envy

17Champs

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Or, i'ts not envy.

Bourbon Ghost
@BourbonGhost

I wish Dabo would've just stayed a realtor after he got caught being a bagman. I don't even care about the titles, I just wish I could've lived life without hearing this dude complain about everything.
https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1201903934656434177

Dabo was a bagman for DuBose and was hit with a show cause which is why he has the gap in his coaching resume where he was a realtor for 2 years.
The reason this is annoying isn't because I'm not perfectly fine with recruits getting paid under the table. It's because Dabo paints himself as the "poor me," character in every story about his life/career/team. The gap has been painted as overcoming adversity.
And after saying he'd quit coaching if the NCAA ever allowed players to get paid... man...
And the fact that he's been protected over this forever and it's never been made public knowledge despite everyone talking about it for 2 decades is insane.
Look at the timeline of events for Alabama in the early 2000's/NCAA problems/Dabo getting fired/getting out of coaching and then when he came back as a position coach at Clemson in 2003.
I don't think a lot of the Alabama fanbase that kinda sorta is holding out hope that Dabo might come back one day have any idea of any of this and it needs to be out there.
Also, in retrospect, I realize this was a very bad time to talk about this after the fake Mike Leach news yesterday. idc idc

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Yep I'm not gonna let him being a bama alum cloud my judgement, hes got a cakewalk in that league. Whole lot easier when u only have to prepare for 2 games a year. It's not envy ...it's calling it as is. He doesn't have to deal with programs raiding his staff.

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
And everything that u just laid out champs has never really been brought to light. That's why some don't want Dabo within 100 miles of Ttown.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
With some of his coaches he may; Venables being one. With others, not so much. He's got a few on that staff that will stick with him no matter what.

There is truth to this statement and it's not envy by any means. And, this applies to some on his staff as well.

From purely a coaching/responsibility standpoint I don't believe he can handle the fish bowl that comes with the job. I've never doubted he'd be a good coach. But in Tuscaloosa? I'm a HUGE skeptic. And, I don't want him around Tuscaloosa for other reasons as well.

Reaction score
Looks like Dabo and Clemson has caught that Bama fatigue syndrome. The LSU media is such a crock of shit. One great year and now they're the standard. Ross has a short memory on who is paying who .

Hopefully when Nick retires (in 2 years) the BOT will not sign another sales manager like Billy (where is my sunglasses) Curry. F U Joab and the rest of that group.

Top Bottom