NFL Contract holdouts

colbyjacks

Verified Member
Why do these pro athletes hold out for new contracts when they may be in the middle of their current contract? They signed it, just be a man of your word and live out the details you agreed to at that point.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
With Julio Jones, I'm not sure how you could expect to sign a 6-year contract and still be the highest paid receiver in the NFL even halfway through it. You want the longterm stability but only if it's on a sliding scale. Missing mandatory camps could start some resentment soon enough.

planomateo

'cause small minds can't see past Uranus...
ADMINISTRATION
HARRY'S
Because the NFL and teams constantly remind the players it's a business decision. That old saying, what's good for the goose...

Bigger question, why didn't Sexton get an escalator clause in the contract?

The guys that signed new contracts in the last 12 months are NOT as good as Julio but they're getting paid more than Julio.

colbyjacks

Verified Member
When he signed his contract, he became the 2nd highest paid wide receiver at that time. If he wanted to get a new contract at this time, he shouldn’t have signed a longer contract back in 2015. I’m sure if he sucked now, he wouldn’t be returning any money.

planomateo

'cause small minds can't see past Uranus...
ADMINISTRATION
HARRY'S
And teams should honor the contract for the full length of the contract? Do you expect NFL teams to hold up their end of the contract?

If the Falcons want to pay him more than so be it. I don't see an issue.

Far to early to throw stones in my opinion, what has he impacted?

You're talking about one of the most unselfish players in the league.

colbyjacks

Verified Member
I believe the teams should honor exactly what is written in the contract that both parties agreed upon. So, I guess that would be a yes.

I agree he comes off as one of the most unselfish NFL players, that is why it is so surprising.

Not throwing stones here. Just don’t understand why in this day, people sign a contract they are happy with and then a couple of years into it, it ain’t good enough.