| BSB/SB College baseball talent level to go up with change to draft

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
With the influx of talent we're beginning to see under Coach Bo, this bodes well for Bama baseball...even if they're still "catching up to the pack."

Division I programs stand to benefit because of two factors. First, the NCAA is allowing all players to return in 2021 with the same eligibility standing they had in 2020. Second, and perhaps more important, Major League Baseball is shortening its draft, going from 40 to as few as five rounds, and capping signing bonuses for undrafted free agents at $20,000.
As disappointing as it’s been to have the college baseball season shut down because of the coronavirus pandemic, Michigan coach Erik Bakich sees a silver lining.
“I do think the coming years will be the deepest college baseball has ever been,” he said.
Division I programs stand to benefit because of two factors. First, the NCAA is allowing all players to return in 2021 with the same eligibility standing they had in 2020. Second, and perhaps more important, Major League Baseball is shortening its draft, going from 40 to as few as five rounds, and capping signing bonuses for undrafted free agents at $20,000.
Last year, 87% (131 of 150) of players taken between the sixth and 10th rounds were from four-year colleges, with juniors receiving bonuses between $125,000 and $250,000. Seniors typically get less because they lack leverage.
Those college players who just miss getting drafted must decide between signing for $20,000, if offered, or returning to school. Elite high school seniors not drafted have the same decision: Take the money or stick with their college commitments.
TCU coach Jim Schlossnagle said $20,000 shouldn’t be enough to entice many players to sign, saying that up-front money doesn’t go very far when it must be used to supplement a small minor-league salary. He added that another year of seasoning in college can help a player make a faster rise through the minors.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
As sad as I was to see the Spring sports come to a halt, I'm excited to see what next Spring will look like. The top teams will still lose some elite talent, but our young guns will still be on the team.

Top Bottom