| MBB/WBB Coleman, the rebuild, and a point I've tried to stress.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
What you don't see and refuse to acknowledge here is this: they have a state of the art facility and the envy of not only the majority of other programs but also some of the professional teams. You're saying what you don't see and refuse to acknowledge doesn't put a twinkle in a recruits eye without knowing what's there.

What I'm telling you in no uncertain terms is what Bama has right now rivals that of the best basketball programs and franchises. The thanks goes to Avery because that's what he brought to the table with the last renovations.

Another insult to hyperbole.

The only thing you have to criticize about Coleman is how it looks on the outside. You're literally "judging a book by its cover."

No. I'm not. I didn't say anything close to that. I said nothing that comes close to that.

What I'm saying is your ignoring what they have now which, as with the men, is top notch; among the best in the country.

Again. Read the original post.

Just like The Joe, the bones are there. The infrastructure gives the administration a lot of leeway. They didn't tear down The Joe because of "it's bones" and that's one of the primary reasons they are moving in the direction they are with Coleman.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
if coleman rivals the best in the nation...and is envy of "majority of programs " including "some professional teams. And puts a twinkle in recruits eyes....
OMG

then that should quell any talk about anything else necessary forCC...an overlarge marines barrack...

got a nice car here for sale...excellent radio...steering wheel..good engine...why would you want a vette...its awesome car... the peach of every young mans eye

38330E35-D55A-4D6B-AD98-2CDF53D3346E.png

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
It's really not. I've yet to see one critique of what these players have for their facilities. All you've ever mentioned has had to do with the Quonset hut look.

In spite of the fact I've seen these things your argument isn't with me. It's with Avery Johnson who patterned their facility after the better NBA franchises. It's against guys like Tom Izzo and Mark Few who told Oats, before he accepted the job, what and where he'd be working (and more specifically what his team would be working with.)

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Can't you have both? Look good on outside and have great facilities?

Question because I do not know, do most SEC schools have a multipurpose facility that is shared across multiple sports with their basketball program? Does UK?

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
UK men's basketball (in Rupp) doesn't, but it's in a different boat. As one example, their gymnastics program competes in Memorial. That would be like the GymTiders competing in Foster (where there's no where near the room for spectators just to start.) Their women's volleyball team just remodeled the old men's locker room in Memorial. Their support programs (offices, medical and rehab, S&C, etc.) are in Memorial.

Here's the biggest difference between UK and UA. Their men's and women's basketball teams have their practice areas as well as support areas inside of Memorial. (Remember, they play in Rupp.) They also share the Joe Craft building with football, the ticket office, the AD's office, the K-fund, and on down the line.

Football,
Basketball X2,
Volleyball,
Gymnastics,
and more are all in Memorial.

Can the outside of Coleman be remodeled? I'm sure it can. To what benefit? Is the product, say men's basketball, going to improve because they remodeled the outside of the complex? To me that defines "style over substance."

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
@50+yeartidefan you trying to make it like it is so easy to schedule “practices/events” so everyone can use the main floor is simply wrong and misguided. When is the last time you have been to Coleman for a basketball game or a gymnastics meet? Did you not notice the differences in the set ups? A LOT of hours go into simply setting the floor up. So you can’t make a schedule out for the women to practice at a set time, men come in afterwards and then set up for gymnastics and work this all around class schedules. There isn’t enough hours in the day!!! There likely is a schedule worked out between the men’s and women’s team for main court practice versus practice facility use. Basketball practice isn’t about rolling out a ball rack and cranking the goals down. All kinds of equipment used now and you have to roll goals in and out along with rebound nets and shooting nets.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
not saying anything looks easy or hard...

Just saying...its doable....and workable....

and why would a new place have anything negative....

Take the positives and build on it...just have a new place...that is state of the-art...beautiful inside and out......
That compliments all users...

is it that complicated....

Last edited:

SoCalPatrick

Sideline Club
Reaction score
How would you know when you don't even know what Coleman houses now?
NO ONE has said that. No one has said there's a negative.

What has been said is that's not the plans. The only negative here is your stating "state of the art" when what they have below ground is exactly that, state of the art. It's as if you're complaining about the color of the candles on your own birthday cake. Who cares, it's all about what's inside.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Well. If all you care about is the inside fine...i care about the entire facility...
The entire bama programs...

Inside ...outside ....
..floor ....court ...seating...all...
all makes the whole......for a facility...firstclass...

how do you know i dont know what CC houses... ...i have been around all these programs a longgggg time... longer than most....

the negative..was referring to...perceived negatives...of sharing court time...period
Which someone else brought up...

if you loveCC. Great....i dont. ...as a fan/booster i would like to upgrade toa new awesome incredible first class facility

SoCalPatrick

Sideline Club
Reaction score
When you're saying they need state of the art facilities when they have them in place that tends to lead people to think you don't know a lot about Coleman. When you continue with "lipstick on a pig" without acknowledging the vast improvements made in the renovations to date? It tends to lead people to think you don't know a lot about Coleman. When you say "it's doable" without knowing the work involved? Again, it leads people to think you don't know a lot about Coleman other than "it looks like a military barracks." When you have some of the best coaches in college basketball telling Oats how good of a set up he would have, with the facilities, it tends to lead people to think you don't know a lot about Coleman.

At what point do we see or read something that would lead us to believe otherwise?

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
It is DOABLE if you limit everyone’s practice time! Limit practice time means more L’s are likely to follow. Building a new facility means displacing 3 programs for an entire season! Where are they going to play? Central High School? B’ham “Legacy Arena”? We all saw how well that worked for the baseball program? Travel time killed and limited practices and the end result was 35+ L’s!! I’ll pass!!

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
All that's assuming. Its a tear down and rebuild on spot. Or relocate ....
already busing fans to CC from parking
( maybe not this year with limited capacity

based on past years the extra available practice time or facility hasnt helped with the Ls. Or certainly not Ws
???
I don't know if thats what a plan would look like or not.
Neither a architect nor engineer

i look at this whole thing as a very long term fan and booster.
I know a lot is bling. But bling is apparently important these days. The football programs around the country show it. And some think it doesn't matter the appearance. Maybe so. But the whole is made up of all the parts
And can nitpick this n that. Some has value added. Some is just nitpicking

2020 showed a lot about what can be done. When so many said such n such was IMPOSSIBLE

but. Just have to see what power brokers want.

But if its such a super great place and its a positive for Bball (envy of many including pro bball?) ...and its loved once and for all.... then why is there even a discussion?

and what's really funny about ghis and a couple of other topics... how personal some take another's opinion.

my opinion is a new home for Bama basketball. I get tickled how such blows others away. Just my opinion guys!!!!! Lol

Last edited:

Top Bottom