| MBB/WBB Coleman, the rebuild, and a point I've tried to stress.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
What's underneath, behind the scenes, is too notch. It's not a lipstick on a pig monies spent as some suggest.

This includes offices, rehab, S&C equipment.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Which begs the question, how important is the practice gym for recruiting?

Consider this a slow pitch 😉

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
...and that's Avery.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
So what would be the pro's and con's of a whole new coliseum? Con's of course is $$. Would the pro's offset that? Would the PR itself make it worth it? Speaking completely w/o information about our basketball facilities other than I have been in Coleman a few times.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
Forgive if this is ignorant but wasn’t one of the issues at one time with building an all new structure an issue of location necessitating demo of existing structure and rebuilding in the same spot or some such

as I said forgive if I dreamt this

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
A lot of people have no clue to the “behind the scenes” facilities. I for one, simply forgot. I didn’t have anything to compare them to, so I really wouldn’t know if they were up to par with other programs or not.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
A stand alone basketball complex is the draw here from what I've seen from other fans. I love the idea, who wouldn't? The "con's" that I've seen all seem to revolve around one aspect; the outside of the building. A lot don't like the Quonset hut look of Coleman.

The "lipstick on a pig" moniker resonated because a lot of the fans only saw things like a new scoreboard, new floor, etc. When reading comments dating back to the first investment in Coleman I realized a lot, and I mean A LOT, of fans didn't even know there was a basketball facility underneath Coleman. We owe thanks to Avery for his input on their new digs down there.

In the end it's a money issue. The infrastructure Coleman provides (the bones of the complex for a lack of a better expression) gave UA a lot of freedom in their rebuilding plans.

This reminds me a lot of what happened with The Joe. There was a large group of baseball fans who wanted the stadium razed and a new one built. After the renovations were completed I haven't heard any complaints about how it came out.

In case any of you folks have missed this, here are the plans.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
If bama doesn’t scrap all plans for another rebuild ...another rebuild....of Coleman...
It will be worse mistake in Alabama sports history....
The time is right....
If a new arena isnt built.... bama stays mired in mediocrity for next 20 years....

and cant compare the Joe....lot of difference between college baseball and college basketball...

and underground practice facility...really.... you cant just practice on main court....
Its not like you’re wearing out the hardwood...

money? When has coming up with money ever been a problem for bama boosters?
AU ...LSU....and can come up with $$$$$ and bama cant?.....really...

my take.... Coleman has had its time in the alley...time to bring bama bball up to sunlight...

but...probably wont....redo floor...redo seating...get a fancy scoreboard....etc

but....its still just what it is....

02431A33-5943-4790-8977-91061DF6682D.png

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
@50+yeartidefan did you listen to Oats take on things? He seemed ok with the facilities that they use the most. My take is lets do a new one like you but I know nothing about the rest of the facilities other than what Oats mentioned and has been mentioned on here. Honestly if the program continues success I think it will take care of itself. Hope it is not a one season wonder.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@50+yeartidefan truer words haven't been spoken on this forum. And it's evidenced by this.

It's still a multi use facility. And no, if you're using the main floor for more than one event you can't just "practice on the main floor." That's not to mention how many other things you're simply ignoring.

You're literally criticizing something you know nothing about.

Now, shall we start talking about what the women have in Coleman? What they gymnastics program has in Coleman? All three programs have facilities that rank among the top in the nation.
I'd call this hyperbole but that's an insult to the word hyperbole.
If you'd read the post you'd understand it's exactly like The Joe. The bones, the infrastructure, that's already there, it's a cost saving move and gives the University A LOT to work with.

It's a nice idea to have a new facility. But we're not just talking about a basketball facility for the men. It would be a new facility for three programs all of which have had their practice facilities, medical and strength and conditioning facilities and equipment, offices, film rooms, players lounges, dressing areas, locker rooms...

Reaction score
This money loss from CV19 is a big deal for all schools and the timing on Nate and teams success vs loss revenue for Bama due to CV19 is just bad timing. This time next year maybe things will be totally different dollar wise but the same with Nate and teams success. I will ask Lone Watie to take a look into the future.

Lone Watie All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
so its a multiple use facility....so what....you dont think bball and other sports can share space....Co exist...
And scheduling use.... is it to complicated...thats really a reason to keep the aged building....wow!

all ....every bit...of what is there can be upgraded...and ..can be had in a top of line ....state-of-art facility...envy of every program...put a-twinkle in every recruits eye...

and i don’t understand what you mean by saying...."criticizing something you don’t understand ". I understand i want bama basketball to have the best facilities...in sports...like football...softball....... maybe you dont want that...but i do......
I personally dont see how any person that care about the long range future of bama athletics ( that use such facility) can see any other way,...

your acting like...a new facility...is demeaning to womens gymnastics or other sports....it can upgrade their facilities too... thats ridiculous ...

And...its not like the joe...college baseball and college basketball are on different universes... thats the apples and oranges... you like to throw out...

but all this said...to say this....

My opinion...is build new... yours appear to be put lipstick on the pig..BUT...my opinion and yours are meaningless.( i have expressed mine to the AD office...and quite frankly...i have my life invested in Bama...not a job like the AD or HBB coach...i care about 10-20 years down the line ...cant go futher for obvious reasons)........its the big boosters and universities power brokers...who will decide the future...for this issue......

Top Bottom