| MBB/WBB Cecil Hurt not-so-subtly making the case for a MBB Coaching change

bamanc50

Sideline Club
Reaction score
How about it Greg? Are you a legit AD or just collecting a near 1 million a year salary?

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Century Club
Reaction score
The AD and BOT are to blame for creating such stupid buyout amounts for average at best coaches. I guess the good news is the buyout isn't 40 million. I believe AJ will get another year and if so then the AD should demand Johnson clean house of assistants.

EasyTider

Attention Whore
Bama Club
Reaction score
The AD and BOT are to blame for creating such stupid buyout amounts for average at best coaches. I guess the good news is the buyout isn't 40 million. I believe AJ will get another year and if so then the AD should demand Johnson clean house of assistants.
I concur. Like it or not, I believe the Lil General gets 1 more year.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
The AD and BOT are to blame for creating such stupid buyout amounts for average at best coaches.
The buyout was well within the market parameters when his contract was extended. In other words, a normal move by any AD at any school. I find it difficult seeing "stupid" assigned to an action when said action is market driven. Going below, or above, market value and we'd have a stupidity discussion. It was neither.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Century Club
Reaction score
The buyout was well within the market parameters when his contract was extended. In other words, a normal move by any AD at any school. I find it difficult seeing "stupid" assigned to an action when said action is market driven. Going below, or above, market value and we'd have a stupidity discussion. It was neither.
You were paying Johnson top money already and to add such a buyout for a yet not known BB coach was stupid.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
You were paying Johnson top money already and to add such a buyout for a yet not known BB coach was stupid.
Then practically every extension we see for a newer coach is stupid in spite of the reasons why it's done. As example, it's stupid to send that message to recruits? That's one of the primary reasons for such extensions.

On the other hand we could have seen UA give him an extension with a buyout below what the market was dictating. And, then we're left with a recruiting trail littered with "UA isn't supporting their head coach."

One thing that strikes me as one of those "unsaid's..."

If Avery should have skipped to the NBA he'd be looking at paying UA over three million according to that buyout clause. I'm betting no one would consider that stupid if this story would have gone along those paths.

The biggest issue being missed here is "market driven." Call the market stupid if you must. A school or administration staying within that market is one of the definitions of being competitive, is it not?

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
"Wonderful things can happen", Vincent said, "when you plant seeds of distrust in a garden of assholes."
A "garden of assholes" does pretty well in describing a large portion of the vocal Bama fan base when it comes to basketball.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Then practically every extension we see for a newer coach is stupid in spite of the reasons why it's done. As example, it's stupid to send that message to recruits? That's one of the primary reasons for such extensions.

On the other hand we could have seen UA give him an extension with a buyout below what the market was dictating. And, then we're left with a recruiting trail littered with "UA isn't supporting their head coach."

One thing that strikes me as one of those "unsaid's..."

If Avery should have skipped to the NBA he'd be looking at paying UA over three million according to that buyout clause. I'm betting no one would consider that stupid if this story would have gone along those paths.

The biggest issue being missed here is "market driven." Call the market stupid if you must. A school or administration staying within that market is one of the definitions of being competitive, is it not?

Didn't we just go through this mess with Anthony Grant? The extension no doubt still baffles the masses. So we got 6 years of a tractor pull when 4 was plenty for my taste.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Century Club
Reaction score
Didn't we just go through this mess with Anthony Grant? The extension no doubt still baffles the masses. So we got 6 years of a tractor pull when 4 was plenty for my taste.
Ed Zackery....the AD and the BOT shite the bed on both contracts all due to both guys had a decent season in to which they were already overpaid.

EasyTider

Attention Whore
Bama Club
Reaction score

"Wonderful things can happen", Vincent said, "when you plant seeds of distrust in a garden of assholes."
A "garden of assholes" does pretty well in describing a large portion of the vocal Bama fan base when it comes to basketball.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
So you're telling me the coaches at Ole Miss and Miss State have a 9 million dollar buyout?
As I recall reading when Andy Kennedy took the job at the SECN he just quit and took four million. That was what was left of his buyout. In '17 his contract wasn't extended in what was his 11th year I believe. I believe it was written to run through 2021. Kermit Davis, their new coach, had a buyout of a little less than one million at Middle Tennessee State.

Ed Zackery....the AD and the BOT shite the bed on both contracts all due to both guys had a decent season in to which they were already overpaid.
Again, it's the market. If you want to call the market stupid, that's one thing. Here your're looking in hindsight and faulting the University for doing something that was well within the norm. It still is.

When you're in a conference where on one hand you've got a guy like Pearl making 2.5 million a year and then you look at Starkville and see Mississippi State paying Howland about the same figure, then look around the conference as a whole you'll find a litany of highly paid coaches where do you want UA to appear? Offering contracts to coaches that are below the average within the conference?

That inevitably leads to another discussion; "let's go out and get a great coach!" And @TUSKtimes we're back in the same conversations.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Alabama has accepted mediocrity in the round ball program....when they gave Grant another year ( his program was a dude and it was so obvious ) , when they agreed to redo Coleman in lieu of a beautiful new arena, etc..... they will give AJ another year.....they will see poor attendance for bball, and quite frankly.....they...the BOA , the AD, the administration....wont give a shit..
Why do we stick our heads down in the ground and like why its going to be different...
Now, AJ is a dandy guy.... you cant help liking him.... but watching the product...
It is poor production....with good athletes ....coaching is the only explanation.....
Hope next year at this time...i have to apologize to aJ....

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
That inevitably leads to another discussion; "let's go out and get a great coach!" And @TUSKtimes we're back in the same conversations.

So what's market value for a 3 million dollar coach in the SEC? Avery Johnson had completed his 2nd year as head coach when offered the 2-year extension that would take him to 2023 for 2.9 million. At that point, AJ was making over market value at 2.8 million and hadn't taken Bama to the NCAA tourney yet. Market value, in this case, was Collin Sexton coming to Tuscaloosa and a stout recruiting class following him. Like Grant, not much to do with what was actually going on in the ball games.

Century Club
Reaction score
It's obvious to me CAJ can't take us to the next level. He can't develop talent and the incoming recruiting class does not address our needs in post replacement. As a boy my father took me to see C.M. Newton coached teams as a student at UA I watched Wimp thunder up and down the side lines.
There is no reason we shouldn't be in the dance the major majority of the time and we are no where near it. Last years trip was an aberration with Sexton's miracle shot. Take that away and CAJ does not make the dance in four years. I will say that he has beaten some ranked teams which Grant could not do but that is not enough. And if he stays and I expect he will next year will be the same or more likely worse. Per Cecil's column one time in the last 13 years after the season ended we knew we were going to the dance that is unacceptable. The University, BB program, players and fans deserve more.

Last edited:

Top Bottom