| FTBL CECIL HURT: A few post-A-Day observations - TideSports.com

B

Bama News

This will always be remembered as the A-Day where Nick Saban placed himself on injured reserve.

As the traditional close of spring football, A-Day is always a time for taking stock of where the University of Alabama football team stands going into the summer. That season used to be a hiatus, a vacation for some players, a chance to get summer jobs for others.

Those days are gone. Football is the summer job for college football players — weight room work, 7-on-7 drills, film study. Coaches get little relief either, heading into a routine of summer camps and recruiting, days that might start at 6:30 a.m. instead of 5:30 — but perhaps with some family time, a beach vacation or some golf wedged in among the responsibilities.

Saban will miss the golfing for a few weeks, at least. He will take the time to “have his hip fixed,” as he has expressed it. The procedure may curtail a couple of weeks of travel and it will certainly address the vexatious question of whether Saban can be a model patient. It also will allow him to coach “a lot more years,” which he pointed out partly from transparency and partly because of the annually-increasing speculation from recruiting rivals Saban may be headed to retirement. Always be recruiting, above all else.

The announcement capped a press conference that required the usual Saban translator. When he called out the Crimson team’s media coaches for failing to win a spring scrimmage despite having an All-America quarterback, that was an inside joke of the sort he enjoys and that the media gets, even if it comes across on Twitter as anger. But there were also times when he was low-key but clearly perturbed and there was a stretch where he flashed some real frustration. Yet he seemed, as he has seemed all spring, to be fairly happy with the progress that the team has made overall.

That leads to a few traditional-style A-Day observations, taking into account the fact intrasquad games are by definition zero-sum endeavors.

Quarterbacks: Mac Jones had a good day against the second-team defense. Paul Tyson seemed to have “a lot of anxiety,” as Saban said, but that is natural for a freshman. The other freshman, Taulia Tagovailoa had what was probably the best throw of the day on his touchdown to Jalyn Waddle. Taulia’s older brother, as Saban noted earlier in the spring, is the starter and will be fine.

Running backs: On a day where holes were sometimes hard to find, Tuscaloosa’s Brian Robinson Jr. ran hard.

Wide receivers: Everyone who threw the football for Alabama, including Slade Bolden, should be thankful for the embarrassment of riches at this position. It was inevitable that true freshman John Metchie winning the MVP Award would make Saban angry (it did, although he probably would have been just as angry had Mac Jones, who probably deserved it, had won.)

Kickers: Usually a fountain of frustration, this was actually one of the day’s positives. Will Reichard kicked well and Skyler DeLong’s punting appeared to be much improved.

Defense: Not short of talent. Not even close. Another linebacker would be nice, in the way that another billion dollars would be nice if you were Warren Buffett. Maybe Shane Lee, who was an eye-catcher, will fill that spot

Did any or all of the above make Nick Saban happy? There is no way to tell. And at this point, Alabama fans want a healthy coach, not just a happy one.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Century Club
Reaction score
#13 didn't look like he was having much fun on the field or on the sideline. Some of the guys were having some fun but not so much #13 or #4.

Bama has all the ingredients for a good team. We'll see.

12gage

Century Club
Reaction score
"He's really kind of a throwback style of middle linebacker that we haven't seen at Alabama in awhile. The vocal part of his game is what I was so impressed with. He was one of most impressive players I saw today."
Who is being quoted here?

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
@12gage, there's no telling. It's not in the link, as you likely realized. It's not part of Saban's presser. That leaves no other option than it's something one writer heard from another (why that makes it quotable is another question.)

One thing I've found of note since yesterday are a lot talking about all of the interior linebackers and I've yet to see many point to the job McMillon did yesterday. Lee is getting attention because he had a good day--led the team in tackles and there's the INT as well (fumbled snap, wasn't it?) I've yet to see anyone mention McMillion was right behind him in total tackles. And, he did well in run and pass coverage.

We're still left with knowing we'll see four guys inside this season (barring injury.) I of the opinion we'll likely see McMillon start against Duke and on the same end I can't see any reason to not believe Lee sees a lot of action this season.

Combining depth charts post A-day ... isn't it always a guessing game?

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
@12gage, there's no telling. It's not in the link, as you likely realized. It's not part of Saban's presser. That leaves no other option than it's something one writer heard from another (why that makes it quotable is another question.)

One thing I've found of note since yesterday are a lot talking about all of the interior linebackers and I've yet to see many point to the job McMillon did yesterday. Lee is getting attention because he had a good day--led the team in tackles and there's the INT as well (fumbled snap, wasn't it?) I've yet to see anyone mention McMillion was right behind him in total tackles. And, he did well in run and pass coverage.

We're still left with knowing we'll see four guys inside this season (barring injury.) I of the opinion we'll likely see McMillon start against Duke and on the same end I can't see any reason to not believe Lee sees a lot of action this season.

Lot will happen between now and Duke....
Who is committed and who aint.....usually biggest question
Talent is never in question ( unless its kickers)

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score

Knowing what it takes to win a championship I think we're all looking for the next incoming stud... McMillon could be a very solid option, but solid may not be enough. I know that's why I'm drawn to watching those guys (Lee, Moody, Kaho) opposed to McMillon who we've already seen.. Plus the long term outlook being better with a young cat in the mix.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Plus the long term outlook being better with a young cat in the mix.
A younger player, in their role, is a good thing. When it comes to interior linebackers Bama's most successful groupings have come with experience there. Give me a vet that handles his responsibilities six days a week and all day Sunday versus a guy that has shown some flashes for the future.

IE: Moody had a nice pick yesterday. Where were the tackles in run support? Kaho is fast, but where's the size for the MIKE role? (Same with Benton whom I believe we'll see rotate back to the rotation at WILL making him that fifth linebacker, 3rd WILL.)

opposed to McMillon who we've already seen..
Whom we've already seen? :unsure:

My point was along the lines of we've not seen the same player as we saw yesterday. I've never seen him cover as well. I haven't seen his run support as good as it was either. And those observations are coming from less than 100 snaps in the entire 2018 season—many of which I've watched again—while watching replays and his role with the 2's and 3's. He played in 3% of the 1st team defensive snaps last season. That's hardly even a weak sample size.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
And those observations are coming from less than 100 snaps in the entire 2018 season—MANY OF WHICH i!VE WATCHED AGAIN—
Terry....buddy you need a life !!!!....lol...just poking you...i have done same...many times...
You gonna buy me a beer when i am in Charleston SC this summer?

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Terry....buddy you need a life !!!!....lol...just poking you...i have done same...many times...
You gonna buy me a beer when i am in Charleston SC this summer?
Welp ... SHIFT + f12 or perhaps CTRL + S ... I do have a few habits with things I hang onto.

I've been known to drink beer. You have plans to travel down here this summer?

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
A younger player, in their role, is a good thing. When it comes to interior linebackers Bama's most successful groupings have come with experience there. Give me a vet that handles his responsibilities six days a week and all day Sunday versus a guy that has shown some flashes for the future.

IE: Moody had a nice pick yesterday. Where were the tackles in run support? Kaho is fast, but where's the size for the MIKE role? (Same with Benton whom I believe we'll see rotate back to the rotation at WILL making him that fifth linebacker, 3rd WILL.)

Whom we've already seen? :unsure:

My point was along the lines of we've not seen the same player as we saw yesterday. I've never seen him cover as well. I haven't seen his run support as good as it was either. And those observations are coming from less than 100 snaps in the entire 2018 season—many of which I've watched again—while watching replays and his role with the 2's and 3's. He played in 3% of the 1st team defensive snaps last season. That's hardly even a weak sample size.
I should have mentioned "to the trained eye"..... :ROFLMAO:

JK JK, but I'll say it. After 4 years there's a reason we saw him when we saw him. Aside from J. Harris - Can we think of anyone who goes that long without a consistent role until his 5th year? He would be one of the few.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I know it was a spring game, but Reichard looks to have good touch when kicking. I was in the north end zone and noticed his kicks were always kicked super high on the PAT's. He really gets under it and lofts the ball in. Bulovas appeared to still attempt as though he was kicking it 50 yards. (his first one bounced off the upright, but made it in).

I'll be surprised if Will doesn't land the job for being the most consistent.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Welp ... SHIFT + f12 or perhaps CTRL + S ... I do have a few habits with things I hang onto.

I've been known to drink beer. You have plans to travel down here this summer?
Yep.....plans made at MB...and Charleston ....for pre-football season vacation( also know as summer vacation)....and cold beer and summer go good

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
JK JK, but I'll say it. After 4 years there's a reason we saw him when we saw him. Aside from J. Harris - Can we think of anyone who goes that long without a consistent role until his 5th year? He would be one of the few.
You've not seen him for four years. If you want to call it two, I'll hesitantly agree with you.

He shirted his first year. He didn't play his second year. He played eight games in his third with a few from the linebacker position. (eight tackles on the season, maybe fewer...I'd have to look.) And, just like we've seen since Saban has been here, he saw the snap count last year just like any back-up linebacker has.

The difference is we're looking at a fifth year versus a fourth year guy. Evans had more experience coming in to his senior year but that was due to the injury to SDH.

SDH had more experience coming to his last year but that was due to snaps in regular. His story is about the same as Nico's when he saw more action in regular than Mosely who was more of a starter that season.

It's eerily reminiscent of the conversation I had yesterday about James at tight end. "What we've seen" was brought up and we haven't seen anything of note from Kendrick (depth chart.)

We've seen Joshua in back up roles in the few games we've seen him. In total, over the four years, he's seen action in what's equivalent to one season.

It's a small sample size to say "what we've seen" from him. We've not seen a lot, and understandably so.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Century Club
Reaction score
Your minutes always depend on just how good the starters ahead of you. We learned about Keith Holcombe when he HAD to start. I believe I have read that Josh is a very smart guy but that doesn't mean he has football savvy. Then again you might understand Nick's system as well if not better than any player on the field but if you don't have the ability to make the play then you're in trouble.

We'll see.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Your minutes always depend on just how good the starters ahead of you. We learned about Keith Holcombe when he HAD to start. I believe I have read that Josh is a very smart guy but that doesn't mean he has football savvy. Then again you might understand Nick's system as well if not better than any player on the field but if you don't have the ability to make the play then you're in trouble.

We'll see.
Good points. And back to my original point - When you're chasing titles, solid may not be good enough. Would we consider last year's ILB's "solid"? Around the country a lot of teams would have traded theirs for ours... But was it good enough to win a title?

Difference makers are needed!! If he is one, then we need him. If it's Lee or Moody... Come on down, ASAP.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
In the words of Allen Iverson, "we talking practice." I still saw a lot of work by the LB's and DB's.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I haven't gotten to watch A-Day, but recorded it. How did Antonio Alfano and Justin Eboigbe look?

Top Bottom