| FTBL CBS regretting not picking up the LSU/UF game this week?

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I wonder if they are regretting not picking up the LSU/UF game this week as opposed to aTm/UA. I know B'ham is always the best market in the SEC and if Bama is on CBS at the prime slot......it always makes the numbers look good. I'm still surprised at the half way point of the season with 2 unbeaten heavy weights in the SEC not getting the nod.

I know when the game times were set, everyone thought UF would lose to AU, but still a 5-1 UF against LSU, I would think would be a better set up than 3-2 aTm vs Bama.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I was surprised seeing this as well. Two Top 10 undefeated teams and at Death Valley.soundslike a better business move than a disappointing Texas A&M team and having Alabamaagain when you know LSU and Auburn will be two more Alabama games. I love the CBS broadcast, but it still confuses me from a business standpoint.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Was very very strange...... Lsu/Florida had to be top game....
Maybe they just picked bama / AnM to piss bama off again....day game stuff...
Anyway...i like night games when i am home watching on tv....day games when i am at stadium...so good for Alan

Last edited:

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
LSU/UF should be interesting to watch on any network. Dont know what CBS is thinking.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
CBS can't always pick the "best" game. They still have to show as many teams (all?) during the season.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
CBS can't always pick the "best" game. They still have to show as many teams (all?) during the season.
Agreed, but I think they are limited to 1 team 4 times per year. We are all but guaranteed the Bama/LSU game will be CBS. That leaves Bama/AU. So I guess you pick Bama as much as you can to keep your ratings up.

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
CBS picked this game based purely on the humongous ranting potential from a potential upset. It would be the biggest game in the country if that happened. It's too hard for them to resist considering the ratings they got from the Johnny Manzel game.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
The limit is 5 per season, with the possibility of a 6th in certain cases. That does not include the SECCG. So there is no way the limit made them pick the games they did. Somebody decided Texas viewers were more important than the LSU-Florida matchup.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Staff member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Aren't there a certain number of weeks CBS has to allow ESPN first choice?

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
CBS always has first choice, but when they have a double header ESPN gets choices 2 and 3 before CBS picks their second game.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Agreed, but I think they are limited to 1 team 4 times per year. We are all but guaranteed the Bama/LSU game will be CBS. That leaves Bama/AU. So I guess you pick Bama as much as you can to keep your ratings up.
You're going to have to find that reference/source. There are a lot of conflicting reports on this. Bama played six recently.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
The limit is 5 per SI

Selections are made a couple of weeks in advance and there is a contractual limit to the amount of times one school can appear on any network. That number has correctly been reported as five TV appearances, though there is clearly some flexibility in the contact because CBS aired Florida six times in 2009.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
The maximum as I understand is 5 games per season, I've seen this mentioned a few times. Below is from this article How ESPN landed the Iron Bowl, plus more Media Circus. They have some flexibility on how they can get additional games, but I'm not too clear on how that process works. Don't think the SEC CG counts towards the 5. EDIT LOL, just realized that I posted the same article that @rocknthefreeworld posted..doh! I was distracted earlier on a phone call which delayed me in finishing this post.

As per its long-term contract with the SEC (which runs through 2023), CBS gets the first choice of SEC football games for its Saturday afternoon telecast, including one prime-time game each season. The remaining football games go back into a pool for ESPN (which also has a long-term contract with the SEC) and the SEC Network.

Selections are made a couple of weeks in advance and there is a contractual limit to the amount of times one school can appear on any network. That number has correctly been reported as five TV appearances, though there is clearly some flexibility in the contact because CBS aired Florida six times in 2009. When Alabama played Mississippi State on Nov. 15, it was the school’s fifth time (Florida, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, LSU and Mississippi State) appearing on CBS in 2014.

"Our agreement includes certain appearance parameters," said CBS Sports president David Berson, who declined to get into the specifics of those parameters.
I went back and looked at the last 3 years, pulled this from the archived tv schedules, http://www.lsufootball.net/archives/tvschedule.

2018 (6 times)
Texas A&M at Alabama
Alabama at Tennessee
Alabama at LSU
Mississippi State at Alabama
Auburn at Alabama
SEC CG: Alabama vs. Georgia

2017 (4 times)
Alabama at Vanderbilt
Tennessee at Alabama
LSU at Alabama
Alabama at Auburn

2016 (6 times)
Alabama at Ole Miss
Alabama at Tennessee
Texas A&M at Alabama
Alabama at LSU
Auburn at Alabama
SEC: Alabama vs. Florida

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
I read somewhere else the flexibility is so CBS and ESPN can negotiate if the two want particular games but the limit gets in the way.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Sorry for what I'm about to say!! But to me the Bama game any Bama game is better than any other team in College!! @planomateo I don't think the SECC game would count against Bama would it?

Top Bottom