| NEWS Cal Football Players Leading Pac-12 Boycott if Players' Demands Aren't Met - Hero Sports (ESPN now reports)

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
~20 million homes is the Pac12 networks footprint. Let that sink in.

That's less than 1/3 of the SEC estimates.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
I looked at their last ESPN & Fox contract.. It was worth $3 Billion over 12 years, through 2023. Might as well have been begging in front of the Wal Mart, eh? :p . I'm aware that falls short of other conference deals, some in large significance.

Looks like the future is a little more uncertain. They turned down a potential deal from ESPN in 2019. Likely in hopes to get a more lucrative deal. Which may or may not work out for them. Crazy how that works, someone hoping to maximize their potential leverage. It's almost like... a theme.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Falls short of other conferences deals. Exactly. They were looking for private investors a few months ago to keep things competitive...which they aren't.

The PAC's deal with Fox is one of the worst thought out TV deals we've seen.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Read an article recently that suggests any new deals for the Pac12 will occur after the NFL renegotiates their TV contracts which is later this year potentially.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
I think you're completely missing the original point... That when they go to negotiate, it's to get the most $ possible.

Whether or not the market will agree with them is up for debate, but I don't believe you or anyone else would disparage them for the act of negotiating.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
What do you mean? Every negotiation has that underlying idea... Otherwise there would be no point. If someone doesn't get enough of what they want, there is no deal, and 1 or both sides quit or find other opportunities.

Something tells me if the verbiage was more sensitive to your views, you'd still take the same stance. I have no issue with them demanding something directly as opposed to beating around the bush.

footballer

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Aren't TV contracts made on the basis of market value? How much are advertisers willing to pay for TV time based on viewership? Everybody
wants a slice of the pie, but the pie is only so big. They can't dole out what isn't there.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Market value = potential viewership. Ad sales are based on expected viewership. That's why they change the game of the week to pick a bigger viewing game = higher ad sales. Although the TV contracts with each conference stipulate that each shool needs to be shown, they will create an initial list of games for each week and then change those games weekly to pick the "best" game.

Rsedge72

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I say go ahead and pay them. Then charge them for the room, board and tuition.
Plus they will lose pell grant money...
Then they’ll bitch about that, I guess...

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
No. Every negotiation does not begin with "do this or I'll quit." I've never had to address my employer in a manner like that and in spite of bi-annual raises I had a salary negotiation with him. It started respectfully, "this is what the market pays for this skill."

Moreso, the mere absurdity of their "demands" takes negotiations off the table—at the very least it cuts the legs off said table.

Care to speculate on how much athletes at the University of Colorado will receive if this goes through? As much as they're getting now. Zero. And that's not even mentioning the 44 MM not allocated to specific genders or sports.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
THEN TELL THEM TO F-OFF! :cool:

All I'm saying is I don't have a problem with anyone asking for more... And I'm not sensitive to how they ask for it.

Everyone has a right to say yes, no, or negotiate. And it doesn't matter if I agree or disagree with what they're asking for... I'm all for the ability to ask for it. That simple.

Top Bottom