| NEWS Cal Football Players Leading Pac-12 Boycott if Players' Demands Aren't Met - Hero Sports (ESPN now reports)

S

SEC Sports

Players from all 12 football programs in the Pac-12 are threatening to boycott the 2020 season if several demands aren't met, according to former Arizona State quarterback Rudy Carpenter.

Carpenter, a four-year starter at Arizona State from 2005-08 before bouncing around NFL rosters and practice squads for four years, sent three tweets on Friday that outlined a potential boycott led by Cal football players.

"Thread- Pac 12 football players have created a list of “demands” 4 the [Pac-12/universitities] take into consideration, if the demands aren’t addressed/complied w/ the players R threatening to sit out the season. There is significant support growing among ALL 12 teams with 50 or more players on many of teams in support of this action/demands list.

"The initial idea was 2 create a players union, they decided time didn’t allow 4 this & figure the best way to create the change they want is 2 “boycott” the season. Things they r asking 4 is 50/50 rev share, 6 yrs insurance upon graduation, better Covid-19 testing & protcols etc etc ...The player led group is being spearheaded at [Cal football] & they have been holding phone calls with other Pac12 teams. There is some kinda of players only meeting/vote that will be taking place shortly."

When reached for comment Carpenter, now a podcast and radio host and contributor to KTAR-FM in Arizona, said the meeting and vote are taking place on Sunday, though it's unclear when a potential boycott would begin.

Eight days ago, the Pac-12 announced the cancellation of all non-conference games, which came about one month after the conference said all schools are required to test all student-athletes weekly. As of Thursday, 12 FBS teams had halted workouts because of positive tests; no Pac-12 team was among them.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Twitter has character limits per tweet. ✅
He used three tweets to cover his context. ✅
Why didn't the use four? ⁉

A thought, hijacking one, before getting into the subject here.

Personally, if I'm expected to take a situation, suggestion, or anything seriously I don't want to see "r' for "are." It doesn't garner respect to see "r asking 4" when one could have said "are asking for" by simply going from three tweet to four.

Professional consideration should requite professional presentation?

Meh...just a Sunday musing.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
If the numbers are what he's indicates, we won't see as many in the transfer portal as originally suspected (if the PAC were to have canceled their season.)

I don't see this "killing PAC athletics" (assuming the boycott goes through) because of the endowments found in some of their schools. Hurting other programs? Oh yeah.

I wonder...

Let's assume we start to see the PAC breaking apart. Which school do you think would be the first to leave and to which conference?

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Well....
Lets see where we agree and disagree...
Better C-19 testing....yep...definitely need that
Insurance upon graduating....yep....might buy that
50/50 revenue sharing...nope...not at all...i still value the scholarships and quailty coaching, SnC, diet, other extras not afforded other students....

There once was a fable about....a goose that laid golden eggs....most know it

So, this wont be confines to Pac12....as u know terry
I would hate to see Pac 12 break up...its a good conference with a lot of history and traditions.... like the SWC that bastardized into the big12.... the Pac 12 would do same...
A couple may try to move to big12...but nobody wants to be Texas's little boy...

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
We also saw how quickly this died when spawned at Northwestern. In reality, we know nothing on how this will end.

IF it does gain momentum (coincidence or irony the NCAA is finalizing their draft to Congress about the NIL) I do believe it'll answer one nagging problem. G5 and P5 will have to operate as their own entity.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
It very much may.......

But....I would hate to see that also..... Gp of 5 play good football.....have loyal fans....
Ncaa has tried for many years to seperate G5 and P5 in different forms ( 1AA n 1A, etc).... its reall a put down to those schools.. to be reduced in rank....
And really?.a lot of P5 teams are propped up by programs at the top of the conference..
The vandys, miss states couldn’t survive without the Uppercrust...
They get tv, sellouts because who they play, etc. not because who their fan base is

This C-19 may do some serious damage to G-5 programs that dont have deep pockets......

This yearis going to alter...( may change) a lot of structures that we have known for years.......may even have some permanent effects....

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Isn't this a form of blackmail?

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Looks like we have raised a generation of entitled kids. Honestly I do not think the human spirit can handle prosperity because it leads to this. Apparently we need adversity to create perseverance/mental toughness and a healthy dose of gratitude.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
I just don't see it that way...

I see some kids who have earned leverage (their talent helps create revenue), and using it, to do something they feel either better's their situation and/or accomplish something they want to accomplish.

I think we can all agree that the way the NCAA is designed has some obvious flaws. Our "free market" crowd probably understands this more than anyone.

Ultimately, if the PAC decides meeting those demands is not worth their time/resources/investments... Then they can and will move on. And more power to them! But I don't see any issue with the players trying to help themselves, the same way most employees would use whatever leverage possible to get the most they can. Whether it's NFL dudes threatening to sit out for a renegotiation, or joe blow drumming up a job offer from a competitor to get a raise, it's the same idea... And ultimately comes down to a simple cost/benefit analysis.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Who loses with a boycott?

Players - anyone will pro potential loses exposure. Other players could lose their scholarships.

Schools - athletics are a selling point for college life. Not everyone attends college strictly for academics. Reducing students reduces revenue. Reducing revenue and students reduces the number of teachers needed/required.

Teams - are there enough players to play a game?

Conferences - no teams, no games. No games, no TV revenue.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
The concept is I guess what I am talking about - " threatening to boycott season if demands aren't met ". When I was in high school playing sports there was no way I would challenge the coach and make demands. To me it was a privilege to get to play so only thing I needed to focus on was working hard to get better so I would be the best I could be for my team.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
@Tidestalker
@mando
@OldPlayer
Theres actually lots of incidents of this...
Dock workers leaving fruits and veggies on dock...til they spoil...
Massive callins of "sick" employees.....
All til their demands are met...

If you get enough behind a movement.....there is power...
Whether college athletes could accomplish such..... hard to say...but these days?.so many want whats inside the golden goose...and are willing to cut it open ...
At any cost..to get it.....

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Can college football players do any of these stunts? What exactly could they do? When the rules say you can't be paid, and they demand to get 50% of the revenue/profits (if there are any), do you think a school can override the governing body and pay them?

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
I dont know..... maybe.... currently the rules...but rules change...just saying....

50/50...... i dont know of any...but a lot of companies have profit sharing....

Not saying i agree or concur...which I do not....

But things are different ..... I personally think the players get a tremendously rich agreement..... diet, training, coaching, exposure, .....incredible facilities to develop in... they make money for the institution ....although a lot of programs don’t make money....

But everyone wants more....more...more....

My fear is...in this era of giving in to every f'ing demand by anybody...regardless of how dumb a demand is... that there will be enough willing to give in that it will ruin the essence of the sport... its not professional sports...and should not be
Its a privilege to be able to participate....a privilege!..

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Call their freaking bluff and see how well they do with no football. I have said this over and over, no one in this world is given more of a fast track to riches than an athlete. Baseball players don't even have to go to college to sign for millions, soccer players can sign as teenagers before they can drive, football players can go to college for three years, basketball players can go to college for a year and can even go overseas now out of high school, pretty sure hockey players can go pro in Canada before graduating high school. It simply amazes me that they continue to want more. Give a mouse a cookie is the perfect comparison here, because all it is is greed. You have some washed out football player pushing the narrative and emboldening these kids. You would think he would know the value of what they are getting compared to what players used to get, and now with this NIL about to take off, the rewards will be even bigger. Sadly it won't stop there. You would also think their upbringing, most in lower income neighborhoods where crime is high, would appreciate all of the effort and money put into their new lifestyle while in college, but all they care about is wanting more and threatening an institution in the process to give it to them. Eventually it's going to come to a head where these guys get left behind and they find someone that will play for these amazing perk packages. They want real jobs, can't wait to see the ones that don't make it get cut and their scholarship pulled due to lack of performance. Seems like the colleges and universities are going to figure out that they don't have to carry the dead weight somewhere down the line.

Top Bottom