| FTBL Bryant-Denny Stadium to Open at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday; Fans Encouraged to Arrive Early Due to Heightened Security

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Bryant-Denny Stadium gates will now open at 11:30 a.m., three hours prior to kickoff, on Saturday for the Crimson Tide's matchup with LSU. Due to heightened security and larger crowds, it is highly recommended that fans arrive well in advance of the 2:30 p.m. start time to be expedited through the security screening process.

In addition to gates opening early, concession stands will also open at 11:30 a.m., and games in progress around the country as well as the Walk of Champions will air on the video boards.

As a reminder, both ESPN's College GameDay and the SEC Network's SEC Nation will broadcast live from campus on Saturday morning. College GameDay will be set up on the northeast corner of the Quad near Lloyd Hall with live hits beginning at 6 a.m. and the show running from 8-11 a.m. SEC Nation will take place on the lawn in front of Moore Hall with the pit opening at 6:30 a.m. for fans and the show airing from 8-11 a.m.

Those in town are also encouraged to visit Mercedes-Benz Fan Fest, located outside the north end of Bryant-Denny Stadium, which will open at 9 a.m. Unique to this game within Fan Fest will be the Nissan Heisman House.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Good lord, I can only imagine having to show up for a 2:30 kickoff at 11:30. This is gonna be a circus. Hopefully everybody gets there safe and nothing stupid happens.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
I'm wondering how Coach Saban is dealing with this. He likes things done in a specific way.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Good lord, I can only imagine having to show up for a 2:30 kickoff at 11:30. This is gonna be a circus. Hopefully everybody gets there safe and nothing stupid happens.
Traffic will be stupid heavy as well. At least most of the corn dogs will be coming from the opposite direction.

Despite all of the great, quick work that's been done to expand 59/20 to six lanes between Bham and Tuscaloosa, this last stretch of bridges is taking forever. They've had to make some major modifications to the existing grades, but I think I read it won't even be completed before next season. A few years ago, I was talking to a guy with ADOT about how quickly they added a 15-17 mile stretch in that run. They picked the longest stretch that didn't involve a bridge modification and that was a quick kill for them. Now they're down to the most complex piece.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
It funny...my drive time from northport is about 30 minutes....including Tennessee game ( biggest crowd of year).... and AU last year....never seems to matter game..
so crowd size really should not impact drive time....

Now security is a different dog....its pretty light..... just walk through metal detectors with keys and phone out ofpocket.....look at clear bag...
Takes seconds .... Trump wont be there til near KO....

Wonder if they will bring him in on a helicopter? Shuddling him over to sky box through elevator.... you know he wants to be seen n make a splash...

The alarming is funny like we never have had abig crowd....

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
The "big crowd" isn't the issue, though that will already cause issues. The issue is all of the insane security, blocking off even more streets than usual, etc. that comes with the President of the United States coming to a town like this.

sk33tr

el jefe
Bama Club
Reaction score
i'm glad i'm up at 5:00 and on the road by 5:30. that puts me on campus a little after 6:00. i find a free parking spot a couple blocks (sometimes closer) from the quad and make the short walk to our tailgating spot. and yes, i even do that for the later games.

i take 20/59 south to exit 100. then i take 216 straight (relatively speaking) to University Blvd. so even when there was heavy construction, i always missed the worst of it since i take that particular exit.

hopefully even with the all the extra stuff on campus this weekend, it won't be too bad.

Last edited:

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
i'm glad i'm up at 5:00 and on the road by 5:30. that puts me on campus a little after 6:00. i find a free parking spot a couple blocks (sometimes closer) from the quad and make the short walk to our tailgating spot. and yes, i even do that for the later games.

i take 20/59 south to exit 100. then i take 216 straight (relatively speaking) to University Blvd. so even when there was heavy construction, i always missed the worst of it since i take that particular exit.

hopefully even with the all the extra stuff on campus this weekend, it wont' be too bad.
I'm having to leave from GA instead of the lake, won't be able to leave until 8AM central, so that's going to put me in the mosh pit, likely.

@50+yeartidefan for folks coming in on the interstate, you can tell a difference in traffic depending upon opponent, certainly game time as well. Late games allow many to trickle in over the day. UT fans add to traffic coming from East TN, but Ole Miss, MSU and LSU not so much because they're coming from the west. My buddy I go to most games with lives in Northport, so I usually drive over there first.

RTR,

Tim

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
The "big crowd" isn't the issue, though that will already cause issues. The issue is all of the insane security, blocking off even more streets than usual, etc. that comes with the President of the United States coming to a town like this.
Well, du, josh....I understand that...put him on a chopper and land him on the field.... from Birmingham airport....
We landed in a lot smaller LZs then that.... lot better security....
i agree....thats the thing ......cant wait to see him...but damn i expect them to make a cluster fuck out of it....
May wish i would have taken the 1200$ offer on my tickets

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
It funny...my drive time from northport is about 30 minutes....including Tennessee game ( biggest crowd of year).... and AU last year....never seems to matter game..
so crowd size really should not impact drive time....

Now security is a different dog....its pretty light..... just walk through metal detectors with keys and phone out ofpocket.....look at clear bag...
Takes seconds .... Trump wont be there til near KO....

Wonder if they will bring him in on a helicopter? Shuddling him over to sky box through elevator.... you know he wants to be seen n make a splash...

If the NCG against UGA is any indication, it will be more than the metal detectors. They had armed federal agents (FBI, Secret Service) to screen you (hand wands) after you went through the metal detectors.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
If the NCG against UGA is any indication, it will be more than the metal detectors. They had armed federal agents (FBI, Secret Service) to screen you (hand wands) after you went through the metal detectors.
Maybe strip search.....need a wild moment in life again...lol
We went to neyland after 9-11 and guard tried to pat ms50+ down.....
They had harsh words...lol

The NCG was indoors....and things were really tight... be interesting to see...

bamachine

Master Debater
Century Club
Reaction score
I am kinda glad I sold these tickets. The older I get, the less patience I have for annoying delays.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Maybe strip search.....need a wild moment in life again...lol
We went to neyland after 9-11 and guard tried to pat ms50+ down.....
They had harsh words...lol

The NCG was indoors....and things were really tight... be interesting to see...
They may get to you and say "ugh, just go in", ha ha.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I believe it was like that at the World Series. They had secret service at every single gate...

Sidenote, if anyone hasn't heard Pat McAfee's take on his World Series experience (completely separate from this) go listen to it on Youtube. It is hilarious.

bamachine

Master Debater
Century Club
Reaction score
McAfee is just a funny dude all around.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
I stand by my comment earlier, the POTUS / VPOTUS / etc should not be allowed to attend games and impact the fan experience.

I don't care how much they like sports, stay away with their political nonsense.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
I stand by my comment earlier, the POTUS / VPOTUS / etc should not be allowed to attend games and impact the fan experience.

I don't care how much they like sports, stay away with their political nonsense.
I have no issue with their attendance. Just make the effort to minimize the inconvenience on Joe Fan. If he gets there early, I'm sure Alabama can find a way to entertain him until game time.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score

It's not just a game. They kill traffic wherever they go. Obama appeared somewhere downtown Atlanta when he was in office just before the start of rush hour. Unbelievable. When any POTUS speaks at the UN, the whole east side seizes up.

eatidefan

Registered
Reaction score
This will be my 4th event at which a sitting president has attended. A first for my kids...
I expect lengthy delays at the security check point(s) and worse than usual traffic with major rolling closures as he motorcades in. We will be in our parking spot very early, take in some of the game day events and stop back by the car for a beverage and food before heading into the stadium. We will also have a pre determined meeting place outside the stadium in case the unthinkable should happen and we get separated.
Gonna be a great game!!!! Roll Tide everyone and be safe!!!!!!

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
If you've never been "close" to where the President goes, be aware that they will close traffic to everybody except his motorcade. He will be the only vehicle (besides support vehicles) on the road. I don't think Air Force 1 can land at the Tuscaloosa airport which means he will land in Birmingham. Will he drive or use Marine 1 to get to Tuscaloosa? Any way you look at it, it will be a mess.

Top Bottom