| GOLF Brooks Koepka is the latest golfer to defect from the PGA Tour to the LIV Golf

Rolltide24

Century Club
I’m glad he’s taking a leap to the new league, or tour. Not much of a leap given the money, but he’s still going against the grain. I like the competition of a new player in town. Several guys have spoken publicly about their complaints with the PGA, I like a guy that puts his money where his mouth is. I wish some more big named guys would follow. My comments are agnostic to the Saudis and their treatment of enemies…

bama alum

Scholarship Club
Who's going to say no to $125mil to play golf overseas? He's doing what's best for his great grandchildren. Best of luck to him, to Graeme McDowell, Sergio (?), and...Phil (??? - I'm really ready to see Phil play again).

ElephantStomp

Bama Club
He had this same offer when he pledge his loyalty to the PGA.

I think he looked again at the competition on that new “tour” and compared it to the competition on the PGA and his loyalty left and easy winning took over

Rolltide24

Century Club
It’s a job, hard to fault him for pursuing more money for the same job. I didn’t realize he’d been guaranteed $125MM on the PGA tour. He’s won approximately $100MM in 15 years on tour counting FedEx money. Looks like he’s topping that just to join LIV.

I read these guys can still play in the 4 majors, which is where the most prestige and for the most part money are in the PGA schedule. If that is correct, I’d guess more guys will follow.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
It’s a job, hard to fault him for pursuing more money for the same job. I didn’t realize he’d been guaranteed $125MM on the PGA tour. He’s won approximately $100MM in 15 years on tour counting FedEx money. Looks like he’s topping that just to join LIV.

I read these guys can still play in the 4 majors, which is where the most prestige and for the most part money are in the PGA schedule. If that is correct, I’d guess more guys will follow.

I didn't know the PGA Tour guaranteed anyone money for anything.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Same here. I should have said “offered”. I was referencing Stomp’s comment that he’d been “offered the same when he pledge his loyalty to the PGA”

Yeah, I didn't get that either. Pretty sure that's against their stance here as well, pay for play. They want you to compete to win money, always been cutthroat from my understanding.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
I didn't know the PGA Tour guaranteed anyone money for anything.
I believe any appearance fee (few players would be able to demand such) would not be paid by the PGA but by sponsors of a tournament. Several of the most elite golfers were being paid appearance fees to play in some of those Middle East golf tournaments for years and years.

DJ has Paula (to contend with) but the 125 million seems like a no brainer.

Go on take the money and run

PurlJam

Bama Club
I believe any appearance fee (few players would be able to demand such) would not be paid by the PGA but by sponsors of a tournament. Several of the most elite golfers were being paid appearance fees to play in some of those Middle East golf tournaments for years and years.

DJ has Paula (to contend with) but the 125 million seems like a no brainer.

1654264027764.png...... yeah, must be tough. :p ;)

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
Kevin Na resigned from the PGA Tour so he could play in the LIV.

"I'm a journeyman." That's how I read his decision. He's in the same world as Ricky Fowler.

It's my view that a lot of people look at the PGA through the lens of who won the majors while the majority of the tour consists of these "journeymen." They know they aren't good enough to contend to play, and win, the major tournaments (including those tournaments that aren't major's, but huge tournaments in their own rights—like the RBC Heritage in Hilton Head.) But they know they're good enough to make the cut's consistently; good enough to bring home good paychecks each week.

That's Na.

What I find here that I've not seen many mention is this will have its effect on the majors. By resigning from the PGA Tour these players will no longer have OWGR points awarded each week. They'll get paid well but won't be factors in major tournaments—they'll have no way to qualify.

That said...does a player like Na go through US Open Qualifying like you and I could?

Top Bottom