| MBB/WBB Bracketology 2020-21 season.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Weird season defined: Michigan at a one seed when Alabama, at a #2 seed, has won more games than the Wolverines have played. (Three teams ranked above Bama have played fewer games than the Tide has won.)

NET: WKU, UK, and MSU all dropping.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
While I like the early release of the bracket I have to admit a lot of it doesn't make sense to me. Timing, as one example, leaves me shaking my head a bit.

Why release rankings on a Saturday morning when these rankings will change when the day, and weekend, conclude? Like the NET, I have to remind myself it's just a daily snapshot.

I don't recall how much shuffling (region to region) there was last season after their first rankings were released. With everything in Indy I still haven't learned how they are going to handle assigning teams to "regions."

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
There has and will continue to be after we get through this March. In normal situations the NCAA committee will still looking at location for round one and round two and consider the team as well as travel times.

While we didn't see the tourney last season at what were we looking? Zags and San Diego State in the LA regional and Baylor and Florida State in Houston along with seeing Duke, UVA, and teams like Dayton headed to NYC.

Everyone of those teams mentioned are in their own region as well as the top seed teams within those regionals.

This season differs in that the committee can, literally, go right down their list and seed teams. The only changes we'll likely see will be from games that involve inter-conference teams (IE: Bama playing a 15/16 seed who hails from the SEC.)

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
It was mentioned this morning that a team who has zero or one loss in conference play has been on the #1 line for 26 years in a row ~ Lunardi on SECNow.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
@TerryP I saw that and think this is with regards to regular season play. Was that your understanding? They could drop another game in conference tourney and it would not effect this if that is the case.

If Bama gets healthy and gets their shots locked back in I could see that. I know I have been one that is pumping the brakes and will continue if they are up and down. Fortunately the D has shown up game after game which I think is what carried them. Yesterday Jones looked better physically than he has in 2-3 weeks. Hope he and all the other injured players get back healthy.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
That's not how I took the statement. There's not a lot on deck this morning so I'll see if I can catch it again. When I watch SEC Now I expect to misunderstand a few things from Fishback.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@mando he was talking about Alabama and specifically mentioned "major conferences" and records. In other words, 0 - 1 loss in conference play.

SoCalPatrick

Sideline Club
Reaction score

Alabama can clinch at least a share of the SEC regular season title with two more wins. They can clinch outright with 3 more wins. They can also clinch outright with two more wins and a loss by Arkansas and LSU.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
After yesterday's win Bama has moved back to #9 in the NET rankings.

More importantly, WKU has moved to #75 which makes Bama's loss to WKU a Q2 loss versus a Q3 loss. That leaves the Tide at 6-0 in Q3, 1-0 in Q4.

Along with that Kentucky has moved to #76. They are at Vandy, at Tennessee, and then host A&M in their next three games. If the 'Cats go 2-1 (loss to UT) they should move up to Q2 giving the Tide a 6-2 record in Q2.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I've always assumed the "magic number" formula was the same no matter the sport. 🤷‍♂️ I've really only looked at it closely with Bama's diamond sports and occasionally football.

Total games team A has played = X
(+) 1
(-) total wins of team A
(-)total losses of team B (team trailing team A.)

G + 1 - W - L = magic number.

Alabama and LSU:
13+1= 14.
14-12=2
2-4 = -2 (LSU two games back.)

Alabama and Arkansas:
13+1= 14
14-12= 2
2-4 -= -2 (Arkansas two games back.)

Top Bottom