Football BOL Preview of Louisville: What they'are saying

12gage

Verified Member
Alabama begins its 2018 season in Orlando in a matchup with the Louisville Cardinals.
This story is part of an 11-week long breakdown BamaOnLine is doing of every game on the Crimson Tide’s 2018 schedule (sorry, The Citadel). And we begin with the Cardinals.
Here’s a look at what Louisville’s coaches and players are saying out of spring practice.

Head coach Bobby Petrino

On quarterback Jawon Pass
“Jawon has tremendous respect from his teammates,” Petrino said, per GoCards.com. “He has enough self-confidence and belief in his himself to go out there and perform. … I want to see Jawon be a little more urgent. He’s a laid-back guy. He needs to walk to the huddle a little faster. He’s very intelligent and really knows the game. He needs to just relax and play.”

On the Cardinals’ running game...
“I’m not sure who will be the top rusher will be on the team next year, but I’m sure it will be a running back,” Petrino said with a laugh, per GoCards.com. “We have a lot of talent at the running back position, with Dae Williams, Colin Wilson, and Trey Smith has had a good spring.”

On facing Alabama...
“It’s a great challenge for us,” Petrino said, per The Courier-Journal. “Great opener for us. It gives us a lot to work for in the offseason, a lot to work for all summer long.”

Louisville QB Jawon Pass (Photo: Jamie Rhodes, USA TODAY Sports)

Co-Offensive coordinator Lonnie Galloway
On Louisville’s wide receivers...
“This is definitely a good group," Galloway said, per GoCards.com. “I’m looking for three or four guys that will step in and take control of the room. Competition is the best thing for every position. I need everyone to be pushed. … They’re all back. It’s the same group, besides Jatavious (Harris) and Tutu (Atwell), who came in early, that were out there on Saturday last season. I expect even more from them this season.”

Cornerbacks coach Grady Brown
On first-year defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder...
“We are all trying to learn this new defense,” Brown said, per GoCards.com. “I didn’t know a lot about this defense, but Brian is very detailed, and it has been good. It’s a very detailed system, and as long as we continue to put the work in, the scheme will put us in position to have success.”

Quarterback Jawon Pass
On his goals during the spring...
“I was trying to put the offense in the best play possible to be successful,” Pass said, per GoCards.com. “I have a long way to go. I'm doing pretty well, but I still have a lot of work to do. I'm just trying to be the best player that I can be and win games. ... I'm just trying to be consistent with my technique and footwork. I have work to making the right checks, putting us in the right play and recognizing the defense.”

On facing Alabama...
“To me, it’s an opportunity to show the world where we stand going against the best,” Pass said, per The Courier-Journal. “So, we look forward to it.”

Cornerback Rodjay Burns
On facing Alabama...
“We put our pads on like they put their pads on,” Burns said, per The Courier-Journal. “They’re not scary because they won the national championship. We’re gonna play ball.”

What they're saying about Alabama Football: Louisville Cardinals

Ho-hum....lamar Jackson there.... some excitement......conditioning will be hugh...
Wont be the best game of weekend.....but the one i go to/watch...haven’t decided

sk33tr

el jefe
HARRY'S
Cornerback Rodjay Burns
On facing Alabama...
“We put our pads on like they put their pads on,” Burns said, per The Courier-Journal. “They’re not scary because they won the national championship. We’re gonna play ball.”
they put their pads like every other team, as well. i never did understand that saying. it's like they're special because they put their pads on just like our guys? and every other guy on every other team?

and of course we're not scary. why would he even say it, if we were scary. there's no point in saying it even if it were true for the simple fact that you don't give the other team ANYTHING to use against you.

oh you're gonna play ball? i guess we'll be playing something else, then?

shit, this guy's got it all figured out. hell we might as well cancel the game because.....they put their pads on like our guys do and they're gonna play ball.

i get trying to psych yourself up for a game...even one that's still a few months away. and i get saying things that might seem like a good idea. but when you've heard it all before it just gets old. ya know? i wish these guys would just think a tiny bit more before they say the first thing that comes into their head.

Cornerback Rodjay Burns
On facing Alabama...
they put their pads like every other team, as well. i never did understand that saying. it's like they're special because they put their pads on just like our guys? and every other guy on every other team?

and of course we're not scary. why would he even say it, if we were scary. there's no point in saying it even if it were true for the simple fact that you don't give the other team ANYTHING to use against you.

oh you're gonna play ball? i guess we'll be playing something else, then?

shit, this guy's got it all figured out. hell we might as well cancel the game because.....they put their pads on like our guys do and they're gonna play ball.

i get trying to psych yourself up for a game...even one that's still a few months away. and i get saying things that might seem like a good idea. but when you've heard it all before it just gets old. ya know? i wish these guys would just think a tiny bit more before they say the first thing that comes into their head.
Maybe he was watching old clips of the player from Vandy before the Bama game...last year.....
May not want to watch game though....