| FTBL Bill O'Brien Expected to be the Next OC

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
In the SEC this season there was only one more team who had the talent to attack Bama like UF and UM did, A&M. But, that was what they had before the season kicked off and before they had several wide receivers opt out. Simply put, to answer your thoughts here, Bama didn't face a team that could attack them like the two previously mentioned.

What's strangely coincidental, and ironic to a degree, is we're talking about Saban's sixth title at Bama and six years ago a lot of the talk was about "3rd and Kirby."

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
For some fans it is; we're in that group. For other fans they are still living in that era; see the B1G and ACC conference games this season and look at the totals. Far, far below what we've seen these past three/four seasons.

On another note...be fun to talk about what O'Brien brings to the locker room. However, I suspect we'll see about the same reactions we saw when Sark was hired.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
As long as we keep the RB in the passing game we should be fine. I never noticed until recently how much that opened up every damn thing. Even when Mac went downfield the RB was usually open for 5-10.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Georgia has more talent than all of those teams, but they aren't smart enough to use it. Still blows my mind why they didn't involve 6'7 Darnell Washington more. He is more than capable of gaining attention downfield and getting Pickens and Burton open. That's about as deep as I get into it, because their lack of ability as coaches at Georgia only helps us in the end, so whatever they want to keep doing.

As far as the 3rd and Kirby comment, I understand that Alabama was used to killing folks on defense. It was the stalwart of being in the SEC, you had to have it. There was going to be some growing pains with offenses changing and us recruiting and changing strength and conditioning to adhere to these new RPO and spread type offenses. It was new to a lot of old school people, so I understand their frustration, but also understand the growing pains involved with anything new being introduced to these young ball players that have spent so much of their lives learning a different scheme. Texas A&M showed us what was possible coming into Bryant-Denny with a capable quarterback and stunned us. We have had time, especially with our evolving offense to practice against, to change or schemes and prepare. We talked about how we've changed the bodies of our guys (take a look at Reuben Foster's transition). We've discussed this as well that I just don't feel we put enough pressure on good quarterbacks and they have all day to pick us a part. It's not fair to the linebackers and defensive backs in this tit for tat current environment to have to stay with athletic receivers and running backs for eight to ten seconds. It's an impossible task.

As soon as we put in Rashaan Evans and Da'Shawn Hand in due to their speed, Watson was forced to make different decisions and it is what helped us win that game. Fast forward to the next meeting and we allowed Watson to pick us a part yet again. Moving forward to Kelly Bryant, we haunted him all night with pressure and he couldn't do anything. Finally, moving forward to our last meeting when we got very little pressure on Lawrence and he picked us a part along with his amazing receivers. The pressure we did bring, caused him to be very erratic and off. He was bailed out, but you could see a clear difference in pressuring him and not pressuring him. I only say all of this to express that this defensive staff does not make the decision to pressure near as much as I feel is necessary when your team is starting a young defensive backfield and linebackers that are having trouble keeping up with backs and tight ends. Hearing about Moses' knee only confuses me more as to why we wouldn't pressure to take even the possibility of a big play off his shoulders. 3rd and Long (3rd and 8 or longer in my eyes) should be converted on a very small percentage with the defenses we field. Sorry for the long post, but just expressing where my basis comes from and why I think we should be doing a few things different.

Below is a link for 3rd down defense. Not even in the Top 50. Mind you a lot of these teams aren't playing SEC competition or as many games as us, but some of these teams are playing decent competition, but we don't rank here.

If I'm reading this correctly, we gave up more 3rd down conversions per game this year than last year!

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
@BamaFan334 you state that we need to get more pressure as if Golding isn't even trying. What does that look like to you? Best case DL gets pressure but they have to beat the guy in front of them. That btw is not a scheme issue but a player talent/recruiting and development issue. When they can't then what? Blitz of course. Golding did that some. Did you want him to do more? The QB pressures and the sacks increased over the last 4-5 games. Really we did not see another OM performance but there was one game with UF that we did step back. Off course UF offense was very good.

We all agree you need to pressure the QB, No one doubts that. Now it is a matter of how you do it with the players you have. I think Blitzes had to be limed due to the inexperience we had in the middle. If we blitzed to much we would have given up more explosive plays. Malik Moore getting hurt did not help either. The inexperience of these guys showed up big time in the first part of the year but they got better. These guys will be much improved next year.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Guess Texas has flushed Ohio State coaches in hopes of Alabama coaches. We've seen this play out for years...

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Blitzing is what I was referring to. Or anything to remotely get a good quarterback mobile and out of his game sitting there and picking us a part. We definitely started playing better down the stretch for sure. You say we have to be careful due to some youth, but blitzing that youth proved beneficial from what I recall. Jobe and Moore blitzing was awesome. Lightening coming in there and made a lot of disruptive plays. So that was fun to watch and good for our defense. I just think we needed to help our backers more with pressure, or different calls to play to our strengths. Early in the year our defensive line was getting zero pressure. They picked it up big time at the end of the year and it made a lot of difference.

Florida was good (which I laugh because before that game everyone was looking past them and saying it was gonna be blowout city, now everyone somehow respects their offense as really good after they pushed us to the limit, but then continues to say they suck), and we were a Metchie hit away from possibly losing. I still don't think Ole Miss or Florida should have played us as close as they did. I let the Ole Miss game slide because of the horrible offseason faced by teams. Offense and coaches like Kiffin benefit in situations like that. To say their athletes are better than ours and use that excuse doesn't sit well with me. We just kept getting gashed over and over again with the same routes. They scored the third most points this season against us, with South Carolina allowing 58, Vanderbilt letting them score 52 and LSU letting them score the same 48. Auburn, Arkansas, Kentucky, Indiana, Florida, and Mississippi State held them to less.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
If you blitz and do not get there the results can be an explosive play. That puts a ton of pressure on young DB/Safeties. It helps the secondary if the offense does not pick it up but they have good players also. Ideal by far is the DL gets pressure on the QB w/o blitzes. Blitzing you just have to do it timely and disguise it. These OC also spread people and move people around to get mismatches. Just look at what Sark did with Devonta. I am pretty sure there is no one on the defensive coaching staff for Ohio State that thought putting a LB on Devonta was a good idea. No LB in CFB would win that matchup.

This is why I cringed every time I saw a RB split out and our LB having to go out there and cover them. If you have a RB/QB combo that can execute that is a huge advantage for the offense.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
I was eluding to him not having the same opportunities, so staying in a on-field job vs an analyst is a better move long term.

I'd be stoked to have him as an onfield coach. Huge upside, considering he's got recruiting ties where we have gaps now...not to mention, being a 2 times P5 HC has benefits.

Rolling Tide

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Hmmm... I don't know about this one but I guess we will see.

AFF

Century Club
Reaction score
Flood and Sark are buddies and he came in with Sark - so following him to Tx not a surprise. Banks apparently has family in Tx so that - along with a $1M salary also not a big surprise.

Would be interesting if Golding went with Sark as rumors are suggesting. If that happens - and if 10RC fires JP then who knows? Maybe JP could return to Bama as DC to help rebuild his credibility.

What if all these current rumors pan out?

OC - O'Brien replaces Sarkisian
OL - Stoutland replaces Flood
TE/ST - Sumlin replaces Banks (rumors)
DC - Jeremy Pruitt replaces Golding (total speculation)

I'm not sure any of these would be a downgrade - except maybe losing Sark who is white-hot right now as a play caller.

Caveat - I have absolutely zero inside sources.

It really sounds like O'Brien and Stout could be almost done deals.

How would y'all feel about the prospect of Sumlin? Or Pruitt as DC?

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Pruitt should definitely be a no until we know for sure about the Tennessee issues. No need to bring attention from the NCAA or wind up having to let him go before he can coach a game (or worse in season).

Top Bottom