| FTBL Bill O'Brien Expected to be the Next OC

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Sounds like O'Brien is pretty much official at this point. I'd imagine he will have input on the OL coach hire, just as Sark did. Pretty much all other staff members will get offers at places too, but I don't expect there to be too much turnover. Saban will have to replenish the analyst department as well. I think my dude @rammerjammer called it a couple weeks ago, but Kevin Sumlin will have a spot if he wants it. Possible that Derek Dooley may grab one as well.

Reaction score

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
It would be cool if someone could pull up all of the “Young will take it away from Mac by the 3rd game” posts and compare it to the ones bemoaning Young’s lack of divinely bestowed gifts of football ability. Seem to forget that his playing time coincided with a lot of PT for other less experienced players also.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
You can keep making comments about this until you're blue in the face, but if you can't see the holes in our defense you are blind. Spare me the Ohio State game as we just beat them into a corner with our offense and they just didn't have what it took to keep up. Not even bringing into the equation what was spent beating Clemson. Notre Dame didn't have a chance either. In my eyes, if a coach makes a comment stating his defense is too difficult to learn that he has to simplify it, and we still have the same problems, it lets me know he's not a good enough coach to get our guys right. We have the best college football players in the country, proven by our success and all of those National Championship trophies. Our offense bailed us out this year, and that is a fact. I just think we may be in for a rude awakening if Golding continues this same path and how green we will be on offense. Our boys played well and I'll eat some crow on my defensive comments, but I still believe Golding is not the answer and that we just have great athletes that have overcome the poor coordinator.

Reaction score
Nick Saban will answer the question about the defense within 6-8 days. Bama has average players at ILBer and safety. The only thing that helps is for the DL to the QB before there is time for these receivers to drag the ILBers and safety's across the field. Bama did that just enough to get off the field.

3rd down and 9 is not big deal anymore in todays college football.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Bitching about Golding will do no good.

Remember 2012......"Is this what you want football to be?" That was the question CNS proposed.

We have a really good defense. Next year I expect the D will be what makes us a championship contender, simply because of the amount of talent/experience we have. Will they be as good as the defense we saw back in 2012? Probably not, but this is a different era of football and the days of 28-14 games are a distant memory.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I'm negative about Golding, not our players. We have talent. Defensive calls is just not to my liking and we are susceptible to tight ends and third and longs. It's not bitching to bring up valid concerns that are statistically proven to be problems. Saban unleashed on Golding plenty this year to show he wasn't always "happy" as you put it. He did the same to Kiffin as he does most coaches, but way more to Golding from what I noticed.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
IMO you are projecting your feelings onto what you perceive to be CNS feelings. I know on at least 3 different occasions he has said realistically he expects defense to make a few stops per game. That is what this defense did. There is some kind of mythology going on that seems to want us to believe that past UA defenses made every stop. The 2016 championship defense is still thanking the lord that Clemson ran out of time and didn’t recover that onside kick. And let’s not forget the 17 defense that couldn’t hold Clemson out of the end zone after a superhero effort by Hurts to put UA up. That defense had 11 guys who are playing in the NFL right now. I believe unless Pete leaves of his on free will he will still be doing the same job next year. If I am wrong I will come back and own this

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
The 2016 game was the one that made me have to adjust my thinking some (I still do not like it and fight it all the way!!!!). That was probably the best D Saban had and they allowed 40+ points and were on the field for 100 plays. Of course our offense did not help with several 3 and outs. Reality is that football is a team and needs all phases to complement each other.

Did I see someone earlier in this thread say Golding is interviewing with Ogre? If he is truly doing that I think you already know Saban has made his decision about replacing him.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I'm not projecting anything. Has any coach EVER dragged their assistant coach through the mud in a post game interview during the season? I have never said we should have a defense that gives up 3 points per game. I have simply said we have the athletes where we should not be having 3rs and long problems and get gashed over the middle like we do. Much like Ohio State not gearing to shut down DeVonta, I can't figure out why more teams didn't attack us like Ole Miss and Florida. We were very susceptible, and our offense saved us.

Golding will probably keep his job, but that doesn't mean he's not getting on a hot seat due to performance. I'm not holding Matt Corral and Kyle Trask in the same light as Deshaun Watson. He is a level above those guys and a difference maker. In the end it doesn't matter what I think. Saban will make his decision, we will pull for our boys, and we will celebrate and cry together. Until then, I'm enjoying this Natty and Roll Tide.

Rolltide24

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Will Charlie Strong be back or is he fielding other offers? Miss Terry was in an interview talking about CNS running practices from home when he had COVID. She talked about how he was watching on screens at home and yelling at Charlie to get them to run this drill again or do that again, etc. I feel like he played a larger role than perceived.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I have been as tough on our D as anyone this year and agree we need to get better. We have actually improved greatly this year. In the NC Bama held the #7 offensive team that has been averaging 519 ypg (262 passing and 257 running) and scoring 41 ppg to 341 yards (194 passing and running 147) and 24 points. That is a really good game big picture. Now our offense holding the ball for 37 minutes had a lot to do with that also.

One last thing to point out, Bama played the #7 tOSU, #3 OM and #9 UF offenses this year. 2 out of 3 were certainly hard for us to handle but we were not the only one. I know that our standard is higher than others but at least this gives me some perspective.

Top Bottom