| FTBL Bill O'Brien Expected to be the Next OC

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
There is a rather large difference between 1st and 2nd team reps, especially under Saban compared to most college coaches.

Destiny's Child

It's Rolling Baby
Century Club
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Listen nothing against Young at all and I hope the best QB wins the job but I think Tyson is a legit threat to win the Job. I saw him up close in high school and he has a cannon. Prototypical NFL QB size, strong arm and smart. I mentioned this during the offseason and got roasted by a few on here that he was just on the team because he is Bear's grandson and that the only reason Bryce wouldnt win the job is because he had no spring .. but he will be starting by game 3. Tyson was a 4 star PP qb for a reason.

Bryce played at Mater Dei and was a stud in high school.. the most productive player on one of the best high school teams in the country. His upside is great but he has to overcome his size and we have to scheme to help him get open throwing lanes. He is maybe 5'10 and pretty thin. What scared me about his play this year was how many passes got batted down. He seemed very accurate and high school and an elusive runner so maybe you get him on the outside to let him throw it but that takes away half the field.

Anyway, O'brien is an awesome coach and we would be lucky to have him. He was the OC for the Patriots in their haydays. Took over, recruited well and won at Penn State after the Joe Pa debacle. Nobody wanted that job and no kids would go there.. he resurected that program. Having coached Deshaun Watson and Tom Brady he has the ability to adjust his scheme no matter whether its Tyson or Young.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Well I agreed with William Anderson, whom he had starting. I definitely think Allen could be there. I just happen to think we find a spot for Drew Sanders. Yes, I had heard he could play inside as well, but I always heard his speed and size were great for outside as well. Tough decisions, but just when we think we are losing so much, we can't even find room for the studs we have already in the stables!

Reaction score
I am hopeful that #4 will return at RB for 2021. He is a good player and could provide leadership for those young guns behind him. He has a good burst and he got better as the games rolled by. If the strength guys can get off twitter and increase his speed then he will be Aight. I hope the RB that chose Bama over OU will stick with us on NSD.

Tidestalker

Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Potentially... But let's say at worst he moves down to 15 with the injury issues... At best next year he maybe moves up to 5?!

He was at 11 ish I believe last time I checked. When we are talking about a 5-10 pick improvement at best, you just have to go. Because at worst, you could drop your ass a long way with another injury. It's one thing when you're hovering at the end of that 1st round and lower, but he's just not in that position!

bradenob

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Young is going to be good at QB. Needs reps. RBs will be excellent, even if B Rob goes. Why wouldn't Chris owens come back? Leaves Pierce Quick at left guard, all kinds of competition at LT (OR RT if Neal moves over) Ekeyor comes back at RG; Billingsley back at TE, and maybe Forristall?, Metchie, Bolden, X Williams and Bolden all back, PLUS the freshmen at WR.

Wiggins, Flood, Huff, Banks all APPEAR to be coming back.

This would mean an EXTREMELY stable offensive team, from the staff to the players - a good deal of experience.

So...... Saban finds a coach that understands what WE do, with TONS of talent returning..... why are people panicking?

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Do #2's get significantly more or less reps compared to other teams?

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
In Saban's era the most balanced I've noticed was Jalen as a backup to Tua. The most lopsided was Jalen in his first season after getting the starting nod. Bryce was getting about as much as Sims (my closest comparison.) It varies season to season, QB room to QB room.

O'Brien, while at Penn State, kept a pretty deep QB room. 60-70% split, depending on week, with the backup getting first team reps. Which was about like Tua/Jalen.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
The "evaluations" I've seen from some fans this season on Bryce are akin to the opinions we see after A-day.

It's not a "love thing" with Bryce, it's based on what I've learned.

Fans: Love what Sark has done with Mac and the offense.
Sark: Loves the way Bryce has progressed this season in his role.
Fans: Doubt Sark's opinion on Bryce.

Me: Totally confused because that doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom