| LIFE Best handgun for my wife

alabamajack

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I've spoken with several people including military, policemen and just avid hunters but getting a wide variety of suggestions so I thought I'd ask here as well. For personal protection and for someone with no firearm experience; what would be a good pistol to get for my wife?

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Have several close friends who are in various levels of law enforcement. Nearly every time this topic has come up, they've said small revolver. Easy to load, no jams, etc. Most important thing is, make sure they are comfortable with it and shoot it often (gun courses and self-defense courses are recommended).

sk33tr

el jefe
Bama Club
Reaction score
Take her to the gun store and let her hold several different brands and types. Let her pick the one that best fits her hand. Then, take her to the range and let her shoot a few. If she's never shot a gun before, have her start with .22. It's a good caliber to get people started as it shows them the recoil, but not in a less-violent way than most everything else. After that, if she's willing, have her shoot a 9mm.

Some people may tell you that .22 is terrible for home/personal defense. But the fact remains that ANY gun is better than the one you DON'T have.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
A revolver would be my suggestion. Find a dealer with an indoor range that she can demo.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@alabamajack I posted this link here about nine months ago, maybe longer. At that point I only had the rounds for a 9mm and a .223. They now make them to fit a few revolvers. It may seem cheap. We've given it to two different ladies who purchased their first handgun.

For a "toy," it's a lot of fun as well.

PurlJam

Century Club
Reaction score
1600785014002.pngMy wife's .22.... bought her some rat shot in case she "accidentally" shoots somebody....namely me. :p

Since61

Registered
Reaction score
Ruger 357s do shoot well and its weight absorbs a lot of recoil. Since she picked it out it is HERS and will be more prone to practice with it.

Top Bottom