| MBB/WBB Basketball Breaks SEC Three-Point Record in 105-75 Victory at LSU

PurlJam

Century Club
Reaction score
I must apologize. I went to bed at the half with that feeling LSU would come back in the 2nd half and pull out a close win, no way we stay that hot shooting the ball. I was wrong. May have to use some bleach in the shower and wash those past seasons feelings away. :D

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Ok now Oats has a different challenge, how do you keep this team hungry, improving and NOT reading their press clippings? You would think after years of mediocrity that would not be an issue but when you have not shown a culture of winning it could be. I think they have the right mix if young guys and older guys to hopefully keep them focused. If one of the young guys slips the older guys can help motivate them. If one of the older guy slips one of the young pups would be more than happy to take their minutes.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I have enjoyed watching the Tide play a faster tempo (having athletes helps), shooting the 3 ball and playing much better overall this year. Hopefully, what CNO is building will continue to grow and mature in a yearly NCAA tournament team. There is no reason that Bama cannot have a very competitive basketball team year in and year out.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
@TerryP my takeaway from the shot selection (which many have discussed) is Bama is either shooting 3's or layups. No mid-range game. Not sure if it will matter but if the D extends it creates driving lanes. Will probably require a shot blocker underneath the board to defend both. If Bama finds a mid range game also then they can't be defended. Very much like the Bama Football teams offense this year.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
I'll check out the shot charts after most games, and it's hilarious that most look very similar to this. May see a couple of shots from the foul line a game, but everything else is either in the circle or a 3 point attempt. It's gotten to the point that when a player doesn't shoot it from one of those 2 areas, I look to see Oats' reaction, especially if its a miss. haha

94 Grad

Century Club
Reaction score
I think the stats prove out that if you are an average 3 pt shooting team, it's better to Toss up those instead of 2s. I think the "score" comes out about the same. I'd have to find the site that worked all the stats, but it's pretty compelling if I recall correctly. I think it was something like a 50% 3 point shooter would require a 80% 2 point conversion rate to be equal. 40% 3s = 60% 2s. If you hit 60% 3s you'd have to hit over 100% 2s. Not that I'd expect a team to be able to be consistent 40-50% from 3 for sure... but the numbers are interesting since the national average is around 37/38% for 3s if recall with a FG% for the best teams just over 50% and most teams under 50%...

Last edited:

Brandon Van de Graaff

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Yeah it's all analytics driven and likely where the college game is headed. Sort of like the CFB offensive transformations over the last decade. Oats has said numerus times, he wants quality 3 point shots and shots at the goal. We actually miss more gimmies at the basket than we should, but with the way UA is beating people since SEC play started, it's hard to complain about it. Recruiting was already going well, but with the style they play, and the success they are having with it this year, they are about to get the attention of a lot more kids...

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
LSU was lazy with their 3-point attempts, rarely worked the ball to make the D adjust to get more open looks. Very few attempts from the wing, and nothing from the lines. Their 3-game was out of desperation. Loved watching Wade squirm for forty minutes.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
Overall the mid range jumper is going extinct. If you can hit from 14 feet the same fundamentals apply moving back a little and you get 1/3 more value. Layups should always be more high percentage than the 13 footer and you have the possibility of added value with a foul and a plus 1.

I am sure purists and Naismith will dispute this but as was said above it is pure analytics.

BamaFisher

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Reaction score
Did they ever say what causes Wade to get the technical last night?

Brandon Van de Graaff

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Not sure they ever said, but he acts like a bitch, so that's probably the reason. Immediately following their previous game (a win over South Carolina), he was berating the officials on the way off the court. It did look like Petty was giving him (or at least their bench) a bit of medicine too after some 3's on that end.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
My thoughts are it may be required IF someone down the road has a great perimeter D and has a big man around the goal to control the 3 point and layup game more difficult. Not sure who that would be but if we do run into someone we may need a mid range offense.

Top Bottom