• Guest Holiday graphics can be disabled in your preferences. Happy Holidays!

| FTBL Bama Kickers

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
How is it reaching when it is explicitly written in the rule book?

That was clearly a simulated substitution on fourth down to confuse the defense on a punting down. The Wildcat formation, with a guy lined up behind center, is confusing?

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
So, if I understand you correctly, you're staring the rule right in the face and saying, "nope." Am I correct?

Is the rule written in a tense you don't understand? In this very thread it's described as a trick play in a sense. A deceptive move with substitutions. It's clearly written that's not allowed. But, in this case, the rule doesn't apply according to your belief.

Explain that one to me.

PurlJam

Century Club
Reaction score
Direct quote from article written by an Auburn beat writer.

"Malzahn's plan was simple: confuse Alabama and make the Tide keep the defense on the field. If that happens, motion Siposs into the backfield and let him punt it with the defense on the field. A punt with no returner would burn precious seconds off the clock and allow Auburn to pin the Tide deep in their own territory."

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
[
TP - There's a lot of grey area in that rule... Which is likely why you've never seen it applied.

As I've already pointed out to you, every trick play is deceptive. Including the wildcat which we ran earlier in the game.

In this case - if you really want to get down to it, didn't their QB punt it early in the game? So should that have been a penalty? Is he not allowed to have the threat of punting because he's not the punter?

And like I've said before - It really wasn't confusing. AUBURN HAD NO PLANS TO RUN A PLAY. That, to me, is why it wasn't confusing.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
He a backyard coach!

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
That's all fine and dandy. But TP you have to admit, have you EVER seen this rule used? Or your coaching buddy, has he EVER? I highly doubt it. I'd compare it to J-walking in real life... Happens all the time, people are never arrested.

The issue is that no matter how you slice it - We had 12 dudes on the field after the dust settled. Like no matter what, that's not allowed.

The flag was thrown with 8 seconds left and we had PLENTY of time to get down to 11. Watch the play - Nix was sitting in shotgun for a good 5 seconds before the penalty. It wasn't all that tricky aside from having the punter at WR... Which again, we put our QB at WR... Auburn has used their QB as a punter... ETC. All normal football stuff.

Saban got tricked into a silly penalty. I'll give you this - It was borderline illegal.... As by the rule, many trick plays are.... But it was fully avoidable. Easily avoidable in fact. It is what it is. Saban got bamboozled.

Last edited:

We All Bleed Crimson

Football's GREATEST Tradition !
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Refs gave them 3 by adding a non-moving 1 second back on the clock.
Two pick 6s fired the barn players big-time.
One missed kick at the end of the game is not the worst part of the loss.

It is true, however, that West Tech State university can find a kicker who can hit 40 to 45 yard kicks pretty consistently and we, the premier program of the 2010s, cannot.

For Bulovas' sake, I hope that he has a career day in the bowl game and the Tide plays with purpose. Let's finish strong! Roll Tide!!!

Rolltide24

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Is it that different than a Player lining up at QB and punting? Isn’t that just as confusing... Never seen that rule enforced. Did CNS even reference it?

Top Bottom