• Guest Holiday graphics can be disabled in your preferences. Happy Holidays!

| FTBL Bama Kickers

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Cheap seats? His job is to perform on maybe two or three plays a game. The offense and defense are responsible for 50-100 plays a game each depending on the game. I'm not saying it was the kickers fault we lost, I honestly feel the refs caused more trouble, but when your job is to perform once, twice, maybe three times a game and you fail on what is considered routine distance and difficulty, you are causing problems for the team. So let's see, a defense that has 75 times a game to mess up compared to a kicker that only has two opportunities a game, who should have more leeway? We also aren't talking about him missing 50-55 yarders. Missing extra points and anything under 40 yards of MULTIPLE occasions is not acceptable for a guy on scholarship for a Top 5 team.

BAMAneck

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Saban’s time at BAMA reminds me of Bowden’s as far as the talent on the field and the kicker finding ways to cost you a chance to win or send it to overtime .

Not saying the kicker cost us cause I saw the 14 point swing on the intercepted pass to Najee going in for the touchdown the going the 100 . And the other pick 6 as well .

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
If you eliminate the two pick sixes, the 13 penalties and assorted missed assignments, then yes, the kicker is at fault.

bamachine

Master Debater
Century Club
Reaction score
The missed FG was just one of many things that led to the loss. 16 penalties, two pick sixes, only one of which is on Mac, the other is on Sark trying to get cute. That last penalty is kinda slimy but legal. Gus sent out the punt team except kept the starting QB in there. Moved the punter wide, lined Bix up in the shotgun. They did not sub a second time but it was enough to fool Bama into making a mental error. There is plenty of blame to go around. The crazies need to stop trying to put it in one guy and also need to quit going apeshit when they actually lose a game. No team is ever going to be perfect, year after year.

Sgt. Lincoln Osiris

Lead farmer
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Yup. Saban said post game that the punter WAS subbed in- as a RECEIVER.

So I'm guessing when assistants up in the box saw the punter on the field, they immediately said "they're punting" and we sent out the punting unit.

They key here is THEY Subbed, so we should've been able to as well.

bamachine

Master Debater
Century Club
Reaction score
They did allow Bama to substitute. Then Bama noticed they left Nix out there and he lined up in shotgun. Bama tried to get their defense back out there but Waddle did not get off the field in time. Bama got confused by everything. The crazy part is that Gus was probably just trying to keep Waddle off the field but that is the player that, due to the confusion, cost us the penalty.

FlaBama2

Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is Gus DID send out the punter - Bama substituted the return team in, then the punter lined up at wide receiver with the QB behind the center. Then Bama tried to sub the return team off, but the refs failed to allow it and they couldn't get the returner off.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
The defense gave up 34. Two scoring drives started in Bama territory.

Kicking is binary. If it's good, you've done your job. If not, chicken little. The stat of "Alabama has missed more field goals in the nation under Nick Saban" is a red herring. I believe the number noted on the broadcast was 101 missed. When you've played more games than any other team during Saban's time at Bama, you have more chances to make them, and miss them. When your defense and offense both work to get the team in scoring position, you attempt more FG. Bama has been in the top 15 in FG attempts per game in seven of Saban's years. FG completion percentages under Saban have been average, ranging from 63 percent (good for 97th best in 2011 - a national championship year) to 87 percent in 2009 (another NC year). The stratification of FG completion rates are pretty tight, well over half of the teams are in the 60-70's each year, but Bama's average yearly rank under Saban has been 66th. By any unemotional measure, that's average.

Last edited:

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
But they did send punter out...put him in receivers slot...to confuse bama,...it did ...bama tried to get regular D back in...but couldn’t get #17 back off field....as per NS
So...you gotta give it to Gus....outsmarted Nick

Last edited:

Rolltide24

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
I wish Saban hadn’t have complained that it was an unfair penalty. Was it unfair? Did Gus do anything illegal or did he just trick us like he’s good at doing? He prepares for those type situations. If you think he doesn’t I’ll sell you a bridge. And his preparation worked. It was a good move. Any different than our insides kick against Clemson in that first matchup to win the title? Slight of hand, and it worked. Got us confused. All fair from what I can tell.

Top Bottom