Recruiting Bama going after grad transfer QB?

TerryP

I do my own stunts but never intentionally.
ADMINISTRATION
No, someone mentioned that the only people talking about it were just fans. CC noted that former players were also talking about it on talk radio, not that they were the decision makers. Plano wished they wouldn't talk about it, and I said it's hard to keep folks from speculating about next year's starters. No one said that getting air time made it a fact.

RTR,

Tim
Thank you, Tim. This thread had left me shaking my head a bit ...

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Last I checked, none of them are in a position to make that decision. Has something changed?
Last I checked 4 of them played for Saban and 2 played the QB position and would know the mindset. Has that changed?
Context matters.

No, someone mentioned that the only people talking about it were just fans. CC noted that former players were also talking about it on talk radio, not that they were the decision makers. Plano wished they wouldn't talk about it, and I said it's hard to keep folks from speculating about next year's starters. No one said that getting air time made it a fact.

RTR,

Tim

RTR,

Tim
No, what I said was that only the fans have said that Tua is now the starter. EVERYONE is talking about who should be, but the decision has not been made. Fans are spreading the rumor that Hurts is changing positions or transferring. Media is making an assumption that Tua is now the starter. Saban makes the decision, not former players in the media, not fans, not former players. Nothing changes until Saban allows it to change.

TerryP

I do my own stunts but never intentionally.
ADMINISTRATION
2 years left to play 1. He can still red shirt a year. I get it now
Which I would assume would be the optimum situation for him.
I just don't see a 'shirt happening. In fact, everything I've read about him goes against the notion of him 'shirting as a grad transfer. There's been stories about him wanting to get into coaching in the future and just as we've mentioned how a stint on Saban's staff as a GA does wonders for a resume the same can be said for a year under his tutelage as a player.

I just don't see a 'shirt happening. In fact, everything I've read about him goes against the notion of him 'shirting as a grad transfer. There's been stories about him wanting to get into coaching in the future and just as we've mentioned how a stint on Saban's staff as a GA does wonders for a resume the same can be said for a year under his tutelage as a player.
You're speaking from the players perspective, and clearly he's a very competitive kid.

I'm thinking of Saban's perspective.

If Hurts stays, how many downs would this kid play next year?

Would the staff really burn a year of eligibility if he's not playing?

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
If coaching is really what he's after at this point, wouldn't learning as a player under Saban for two years be better than one? Especially since he's not just in graduate school to keep playing, it seems like he's actually working towards another degree. Two years he gets to continue to learn and also be there if something happens with the other guys (hurt, transfer, etc.). And I'm sure that GA will be there waiting for him.

utstnx

TIDE FOR LIFE
"He's not coming to backup," Wright said. "I'm telling you this kid is the most competitive person on the planet. He's going to do whatever it takes to win that spot. He'll stay up there 19 hours a day studying film if that what it takes."

Maybe Saban wants to light a fire under the QBs? Sounds like bringing this kid in will make everyone step up. Also sounds like if either of our QBs goes down this kid is smart and doesn't make mistakes. Article says he threw 5 interceptions but only 2 were his fault ...other 3 were off receivers hands and bounced into D hands. That's the type of QB Saban loves. Article compares him to AJ. Plus if one of our QBs changes position or leaves we will need a QB. I like having the option all the way around even if he rides the bench all year. We still win having a capable smart back up QB.