| FTBL Bama coaching changes for 2021

BAMAneck

Century Club
Reaction score
Heck , with all the turnover he probably needs him to stay maybe more than wants.

Secondand26

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Quick story. I take my daughter to fan day every year. She runs around & gets autographs & I point out “lesser known players who’s signature she may want for the future. I go around with her and never ask for any autographs - it seems strange to ask someone 25 -30 years younger for an autograph.
Last year (2019) she’s in line for Sal Sunseri & I notice NO ONE is in line for Pete Golding. Golding & I make eye contact & I start laughing. He motions me over & asks what’s funny? ( This is before McMillon & Moses go down with knee injuries) I tell him that no one knows who he is now, but in 4-5 weeks the majority of fans will want to “fire his ass!”. Golding & the D-line coach busted out laughing & the D-line coach says “he’s right!”
My point is this: Nick Saban knows a hell of a lot more about defense than myself (or anyone else on this board) .
Golding is there because Coach wants him there!
Roll Tide!!

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
really?..... i think he really likes Golding ( obviously)...and Golding is young and teachable....
....i dontthink anybody here has a personal agenda vs PG....its just we all are use to bama having the right player in position....not missing tackles....covering that receiver on 3 rd down across the middle.....ie betterD...
But...NS had a couple of pretty experienced D coordinations on staff....and PG probably got alot of Learning from them.....
The D definately improved ....as year went on...especially from Ole MS game..on
The Dgave up a bunch of points late in year....but a lot was because they were ahead by so much...

we shall see next year....

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
When have we seen this? Alabama has had one guy at linebacker who did well against tight ends; CJ Mosely. He had his issues with running backs though.

We've seen teams attack the Saban defense across the middle, on third down, consistently in his tenure here. If we go back to, say 2012, it was about that coverage with fans discussing whether they should have a safety (Vinnie at the time) at Star versus a defensive backs. Why? To cover those players in those areas.

How many times did I hear "3rd and Kirby?" Far, far too many to count.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Not sure I'm buying this. If we have always had issues with running back and tight ends, then why haven't we had more close games and/or losses? Why haven't those defenses given up substantially more yardage? Obviously there is a steady increase in these quick numbers I pulled. I think some of that is increased due to training, offensive playcalling, and just a raising of the bar athlete wise these days. I have to say that the rest falls on playcalling. Our talent has not dropped off. We used to have defensive linemen running with tight ends (Marcel Darius in the Tennessee game). The one thing I can see changing and the ups and downs in these numbers is who was calling the defense. We're averaging almost a hundred more yards a game now and we're saying that's due to tight ends and running backs?

2020 - 352 - Golding
2019 - 337 - Golding
2018 - 324 - Lupoi/Golding - not sure how you want to classify this one
2017 - 261 - Pruitt
2016 - 268 - Pruitt
2015 - 266 - Kirby
2014 - 337 - Kirby
2013 - 296 - Kirby
2012 - 253 - Kirby
2011 - 178 - Kirby
2010 - 298 - Kirby
2009 - 257 - Kirby
2008 - 264 - Kirby
2007 - 354 - Steele

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@BamaFan334 A 3-4 scheme like the one Saban uses is susceptible to tight ends and running backs in routes. All defenses are.

You're using this yards per game as a comparison but leaving out the type of offenses each of these guys coached against leaving the context out of the matter.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Well, I understand that. That's why I made the comment that I am willing to consider changes in the game and other variables. I just don't think it's as big of a difference as the numbers show. I've been wrong before and will be wrong again, so not saying my points are factual, but I just can't sit there and say we're getting drilled by tight ends and running backs more now than before. It's a welcomed sight for me when a running back gets the ball against us. I have zero concerns. My concerns are crossing routes and what appears to be a massive gap between our safeties and linebackers. 3rd and Long concerns me so much more than 3rd and Short, which goes back to my point about not being as worried about running backs.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
I do remember.....D standing tall most games... 3rd down wasnt like place kicking game.... ( sometimes punting)
But....lets give D Credit...the improvement was remarkable....
still not impressed...nick obviously is ok withit... what else matters?

again...throw out yards..points....
Just look at organization.... i think more on that then making plays...

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
The offensive schemes have definitely changed in the SEC. Another thing is our Offensive scheme has changed. It would be interesting to put beside the ypg stats the time of possession. I say that because if our offense is scoring quicker the other team may have more plays. So many variables at play.

@BamaFan334 you say our talent hasn't dropped off but I am not sure I agree. Just compare the LB's and some of the DL from some of the teams you mention above to our current players. Those guys were first rounders. Not many of those coming from the D these days. I think we may have missed on a few of the front seven.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Terrell Lewis dealt with injuries, but was great when he was in. Anfernee Jennings was a hard worker and came on as did Christian Miller. Jonathan Allen, Raekwon Davis, Da'Ron Payne, Reuben Foster, Rashaan Evans, D'Shawn Hand, all guys that are on NFL rosters and made their presence felt at one time or another. One could say that 2017 defense was the best we've had and the most talent. I definitely think the earlier teams dominated more, but with offensive changes and more disparity in rosters now, it's a different animal. Alabama was stock piling four and five stars and no one else knew what hit them. Now Ohio State, Clemson, and Georgia have started figuring it out, and look who are mostly in talks about the Playoff. From a recruiting rankings perspective we're recruiting more talent than ever and to be fair they are getting a little better at grading these guys. So while I definitely understand where you're coming from, the game has changed, but Is till feel the talent is there. I do feel as aren't getting the secondary play we did early in Saban's tenure though.

94 Grad

Century Club
Reaction score
You also have to take into consideration that in the last few years most of our games have been blow outs. I don't think we have been playing shut down Defense for the 2nd half of most games. More of a keep everything in front and let the clock run defense along with a lot of 2nd team play.

I had issues with our defense last year, but mostly due to the injuries and tFR playing LB. I really had no issues with our Defense this year sans the Ole Miss game... but I'm willing to give Kiffin some credit in putting together a great game plan and a QB/WR/TE/RB crew for Ole Miss that had their best game of the year in regards to making the catches... and Kiffin for calling the right running plays at the right time. However, overall it was a very good year for our Defense, IMO.

Reaction score
JMO but the recruiting at ILB wasn't good in 2017,2018,or 2019. We're still not sure about 2020 or this new group in this cycle. Some of that 2019 group better step forward this spring/fall.

I would love to see an update at the two safety spots with more coverage skills instead of the old downhill safety play. Nick answered the deal on Pete already unless there is a change in these next two weeks. It's the Jimmy and Joe's more than Pete.

Top Bottom