| PRO Augusta National: Leading up to "The Masters," Augusta hosts final round of ANWA (Augusta National Women's Amateur.)

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Clifford Roberts probably loved his mother too. But he was a racist and ran a racist tournament. You have now qualified my discussion to only include the last 20 years. I sense you aren't that confident about the previous 70.

As recently as 2014 women were protesting and picketing the Masters because of the exclusion of women as members in the Augusta Country Club. Even though the members of the old guard recently folded on that one it took about a hundred years longer than the women's suffrage movement. But, hey, progress is progress. Thus the term, "good ole boys club." If the shoe fits for about 90 years of your existence, and my goodness, the last 20 years, you might as well admit it and just wear it.
I'm comfortable talking about the history of anything in America, but was just making light of your comment of where they currently stand as well as where they once stood.

I've also made light of the fact that this is a private club. Doesn't matter if women picketed the gates or wanted in, it wasn't their decision. Why doesn't Alabama let girls play on their football team (because they aren't good enough to help the team win), why don't you let women go on your guy's weekend (because you don't want them to), why do we have separate bathrooms (???)? I mean, I can pull anything out of my ass and try to question it, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that it is a private club and they didn't want women. What can't you seem to understand about that? You want to link it to racism and womanizing, but there is no proof behind that other than they weren't admitting women, and what you and other jabbing mouths have had to say. I mean, there's just nothing else to say other than you thinking you know, when in fact you do not.

3 Reasons Why Augusta National Waited so Long to Admit Women

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
The Color Barrier at The Masters

As the first African American to play in the Masters, Lee Elder faced much criticism and hate. He was forced to rent two houses during the tournament so that he could move between them in an effort to protect himself from attacks by racists. In addition to that, when asked about Elder playing in the tournament, Augusta National co-founder Clifford Roberts was quoted as saying, "To make an exception would be practicing discrimination in reverse." Two years after Elder made his Masters debut, Roberts committed suicide by shooting himself on the banks of the par-3 course at Augusta.

The club has drawn criticism for its exclusionary membership policies: Augusta National barred African Americans until 1990 and women until 2012. The club, which long required all caddies to be black, barred black golfers from the Masters Tournament for 40 years until Lee Elder participated in the 1975 Tournament.

Augusta National Golf Club, located in Augusta, Georgia, is one of the most famous golf clubs .... (with the correct title, "Shoutin' in that Amen Corner" written by Andy Razaf), which was recorded ... The club also faced demands that the PGA Championship not be held there because of racist comments by the club's founder.
Augusta National Golf Club - Wikipedia
Essentially earn your way into our tournament, and you can play. Augusta National does not make exceptions. Simple as that. How many great white golfers never got an invite back after they did not earn their way back in? Rules are rules, and they do not bend them for anyone. Hard to handle with the way our laws in the country are broken and bent every day. Look no further than Chicago recently, but that's their rules. Call it what you want, but you're not moving the needle one bit for them because they know you're nothing more than exactly what they are trying to keep out.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I'm comfortable talking about the history of anything in America, but was just making light of your comment of where they currently stand as well as where they once stood.

I've also made light of the fact that this is a private club. Doesn't matter if women picketed the gates or wanted in, it wasn't their decision. Why doesn't Alabama let girls play on their football team (because they aren't good enough to help the team win), why don't you let women go on your guy's weekend (because you don't want them to), why do we have separate bathrooms (???)? I mean, I can pull anything out of my ass and try to question it, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that it is a private club and they didn't want women. What can't you seem to understand about that? You want to link it to racism and womanizing, but there is no proof behind that other than they weren't admitting women, and what you and other jabbing mouths have had to say. I mean, there's just nothing else to say other than you thinking you know, when in fact you do not.

3 Reasons Why Augusta National Waited so Long to Admit Women
That was pretty much the plan of attack through the civil rights movement. Private clubs, private schools, private communities. It's nice to see after all these years that the oldies but goodies linger on in the minds and souls of our liberated new generation of free thinkers. And people wonder how history keeps repeating itself.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
That was pretty much the plan of attack through the civil rights movement. Private clubs, private schools, private communities. It's nice to see after all these years that the oldies but goodies linger on in the minds and souls of our liberated new generation of free thinkers. And people wonder how history keeps repeating itself.
So you have issues with country clubs and private schools now? What about the ones with black and Asian members, as well as whites?

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
The comparison to the suffrage movement with membership at a golf club? Come on, man.
Adjectives, it's what I do.
Ironically making my point. Claiming adjectives "is what you do," when you've not, has as much basis as suggesting voting for public office is akin to membership at a private club.

Hey, at least all those protestors had an Elvis impersonator amongst them. 🤡

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
So you have issues with country clubs and private schools now? What about the ones with black and Asian members, as well as whites?

No. Just young people that has seen nothing first hand for themselves and obviously can't be bothered with details.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Ironically making my point. Claiming adjectives "is what you do," when you've not, has as much basis as suggesting voting for public office is akin to membership at a private club.

Hey, at least all those protestors had an Elvis impersonator amongst them. 🤡

Do you have any stats to back that up? :devilish:

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
No. Just young people that has seen nothing first hand for themselves and obviously can't be bothered with details.
So now you have something against someone's age? Ahh, how funny that someone so open to everything yet has so many problems with people who cannot help when they were born. You do understand there are things out there called books that folks can read and understand a lot about what happened in the past, right? Considering you have personally never experienced anything regarding Augusta National, you sure do have a lot to say about it. So tolerant, I love it.

BAMANEWSBOT

Ivory Club
Reaction score
https://www.masters.com/en_US/news/articles/2019-04-06/2019-04-06_a_new_vantage_point_at_augusta_national.html

A New Vantage Point at Augusta National
By Ward Clayton /
Saturday, April 06, 2019

The world’s top women amateur golfers will encounter new horizons Saturday at the Augusta National Golf Club. Large galleries and international television coverage that is unusual for their level of golf at this point in their careers will be a factor. But the biggest challenge may be getting over the aura, history and greens on the Augusta National course and the first Augusta National Women’s Amateur.

“I know the course well, but you don’t see the greens on TV,” said leader Jennifer Kupcho, whose Wake Forest team had the luxury of playing at Augusta National prior to this event. “I think that's the toughest part of the course. So I think I know the course, but not the greens.”

For most golfers who would dream of the opportunity to play Augusta National – male or female – the course displayed today is the one they would face. The setup is approximately 3,160-3,205–6,365 yards in total length from the Augusta National Women’s Amateur championship tees, according to www.anwagolf.com and the official scorecard, or the spot where most non-Masters Tournament play takes place. The longest hole is the par-5 second hole, measuring 515 yards, and the shortest are the second-nine par 3s, Nos. 12 and 16, scheduled to each play 145 yards. Only two par 4s will play 400 yards or more, the 400-yard fifth and 11th holes.

On average, most LPGA events are set up to play between 6,500 and 6,700 yards. The most demanding test the women professionals face is the U.S. Women’s Open, which is scheduled to play 6,750 yards at the Country Club of Charleston (S.C.) May 30-June 2.

Length shouldn’t be a factor today for the leaders. Maria Fassi, in second place, is the Augusta National Women’s Amateur leader in driving distance through two rounds that were played Wednesday and Thursday at nearby Champions Retreat. She hit all four par 5s in two shots during Friday’s practice round.

The strategy on the par 5s, particularly on the second nine, will be evident. Both of those par 5s have greens that are guarded by water hazards with strategic layup positions depending upon the hole locations. Good drives will require a decision on going for the green in two with a middle iron or fairway metal for most players.

“The biggest challenge I saw was wedge shots on the par 5s, Nos. 13 and 15, if you’re forced to lay up,” said Dylan Kim, a senior at Arkansas who missed the cut to get to Augusta National but played a practice round at the Club on Friday. “You either have a hazard to play over or a lie that isn’t flat.”

She hit driver-5-iron to lay up on No. 13, playing at 455 yards, and faced “a really tough pitch with the hole set tight up against the creek.” Today’s hole location is middle right, close to the guarding creek. On No. 15, a driver and 3-wood got Kim into the right greenside bunker on the 475-yard par 5. Layups short of the pond that guards the front of the 15th green will find downhill lies into a shallow green. The usual strategy on No. 15 is to lay up as far left as possible in order to find a flatter lie. Today’s hole location is middle back.

Adding to the closing stretch for drama today will be the par-3 16th hole with its traditional back-left hole location, a placement which has resulted in five holes-in-one in the last three years during the final round of the Masters.

And then there’s the aspect of being an historic occasion.

“They have nothing really to compare it with,” said World Golf Hall of Fame Member Annika Sorenstam, one of four women who hit the first shots on Saturday morning. “If you think about it, it’s the first competitive women’s event here, so they’re setting the bar.”

“Some of the players, they do like (a gallery),” said Lorena Ochoa, another of the First Tee Ceremony participants. “They concentrate better. They’re excited to be able to play in front of a crowd. … We will be there to walk a little bit around the players and see them.”

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
A lot on the PGA would kill for this number.

Top Bottom