| PRO Augusta National: Leading up to "The Masters," Augusta hosts final round of ANWA (Augusta National Women's Amateur.)

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Not a tournament that has ever been known for its diversity, so I suppose it's why this is big news this week. That and women systematically picketing this tourney for years. Yeah, Augusta you've come a long way since 1932. Now, if you'll just let Gary McCord back in the place.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Not a tournament that has ever been known for its diversity, so I suppose it's why this is big news this week.
To me it's big in a few ways. You don't see another tournament at Augusta to start. It's making the list of the now six main events at Augusta. The fact that it's amateur fits with the tradition of the club. The point it's ladies is symbolic although the fourth known female was confirmed lately.

And...it's a Saturday round at Augusta in the spring.

Golf.com has a poll out this morning "Is the Master's overrated." Perhaps you think Augusta is overrated? Hallowed ground in my eyes...a venue TV doesn't do justice.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Golf.com has a poll out this morning "Is the Master's overrated." Perhaps you think Augusta is overrated? Hallowed ground in my eyes...a venue TV doesn't do justice.

Compared to what? Its the first major but beyond that, it's never been my favorite to watch. Even a few years ago, it was almost impossible to watch more than a few hours of it on TV due to the idea they didn't want to oversaturate the product. Other majors, I could watch all day. Jim Nance for years would come on the telecast and start sounding as somber as if giving a funeral discourse for his best friend. Talk about taking a tourney too seriously.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
It is the greatest venue in all of sports. My family is from Augusta, so some think I am partial simply because of that, but I was raised to appreciate everything about Augusta National and I'm old enough now to have my own thoughts about the place. You'll never find a more respectable place on Earth. The members treat their patrons like members. Pro Shop is expensive, but they keep food costs low so anyone with a badge can afford the daily expenses. It's a calming place where you know you are safe, things are quiet, things are manicured beyond belief, the place is just amazing all around. If you haven't been afforded the opportunity to attend, then that is your disconnect. I'm not saying it compares to the golden streets of heaven, but you cannot truly respect the place unless you have been there. You would never think driving around the course that behind those fences is Augusta National. Once you're in, you would never think there's a Hooters a golf shot away. Ok, maybe two or three away. Augusta National has always been a place that promotes the youth movement in golf, and now they have taken the steps to promote women in golf. I am one that does not think they were in the wrong for being a boys only club, because there is nothing wrong with that since it's a private club. They are self financed and ask zero from anyone and don't need anyone else, point blank. They don't even need yours or my approval, because it's their club. Anyways, it's the simple notion of the club offering $100 cash, per weed, if anyone finds a weed on property. It's a tournament that has people that come from all over the world and that pay thousands and thousands to attend. Anyone that has been will speak glowingly of the place. It's the Old South from the point of view of manners, grace, and slow paced living where you're expected to have manners. I personally don't mind that atmosphere at all. Even club employees that aren't loaded rich speak so highly of the way they are treated and compensated that you rarely see someone there that hasn't been there for 30-50 years as an employee.

@TUSKtimes if your boy Tiger uses the week before the Masters to mentally and physically prep, you know it's the best tournament in the world. He does not do that for anything other than the Masters. He is quoted as saying it's the most prestigious and best tournament he knows. I also have zero issue with their throwback to the old days mentality, because in this day in age there is zero respect for anyone or anything and the thought of being at peace for a few hours a day for a weekend sounds absolutely lovely.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
@TUSKtimes if your boy Tiger uses the week before the Masters to mentally and physically prep, you know it's the best tournament in the world. He does not do that for anything other than the Masters. He is quoted as saying it's the most prestigious and best tournament he knows. I also have zero issue with their throwback to the old days mentality, because in this day in age there is zero respect for anyone or anything and the thought of being at peace for a few hours a day for a weekend sounds absolutely lovely.
Tiger just took off a week before the Players. I've pretty much known him to do this before most big events throughout his career. Usually, he will also take some time off afterward as well.

As I specifically stated in my other post, part of their "tradition like no other" has been to give viewers very little opportunity to watch the telecast, so for many years there was very little to see. The US Open is usually an all-day lollipop in comparison.

Sports has always reflected the values of the people playing and watching. The Masters, situated in the deep south has had plenty of good ole boy moments that has finally made the country club mentality rethink their options.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Tiger just took off a week before the Players. I've pretty much known him to do this before most big events throughout his career. Usually, he will also take some time off afterward as well.

As I specifically stated in my other post, part of their "tradition like no other" has been to give viewers very little opportunity to watch the telecast, so for many years there was very little to see. The US Open is usually an all-day lollipop in comparison.

Sports has always reflected the values of the people playing and watching. The Masters, situated in the deep south has had plenty of good ole boy moments that has finally made the country club mentality rethink their options.
That may be the case lately with Tiger due to injuries and other issues from his past, and simply getting older, but he has always taken the week off before the Masters in preparation when he was in the middle of his run. He's quoted as saying much, not me making up things.

As far as the telecast, try getting on a computer, your phone, or tablet and you will see so many different angles of the course you never knew were available. They offer a broadcast at "Live at Amen Corner", they follow multiple "Featured Groups" throughout all 18 holes, they have highlighted 16, 18, and I think maybe #12, 9, and a couple others? You get to watch the entire course, whatever you please, and you can watch any of it starting early in the AM before the tv broadcasts come on. DirecTV even offers a specialized Masters channel that allows you to tap into coverage during the day. I prefer the computer because I have to work two days of the tournament, so it's nice to just have it going in the background since I do not have a TV at my desk.

I don't consider them tipping to any pressures of the outside world. Who cares if they have good ole boy moments, it's not affecting you or anyone else personally. May hurt your feelings in somehow or someway, but that's on you, not them. Don't be soft or offended. They have made some changes throughout the years, but do not be misunderstood to think anyone other than their membership made those decisions. Augusta doesn't need you, me, or anyone else they don't want. They let in Mercedes Benz because they wanted to as a sponsor, not because they needed them for whatever reason. Sometimes not tweaking good things is the best idea. Kind of like our uniforms at Alabammy.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
As far as the telecast, try getting on a computer, your phone, or tablet and you will see so many different angles of the course you never knew were available. They offer a broadcast at "Live at Amen Corner", they follow multiple "Featured Groups" throughout all 18 holes, they have highlighted 16, 18, and I think maybe #12, 9, and a couple others? You get to watch the entire course, whatever you please, and you can watch any of it starting early in the AM before the tv broadcasts come on.

I wasn't complaining. The last couple of seasons they are broadcasting more of their tourney. These days I can pretty much watch any sporting event going on. I have a smart TV that is hooked up to the internet that opens up 1000s stations on Roku and my Firestick. I often watch Skysports version of the golf channel and NBC and CBS. They pay a lot more attention to the actual play on the course and seldom beat you to death with personal jibberish. You can pick up most tournaments in the morning on Thursday and Fridays. Big difference.

I don't consider them tipping to any pressures of the outside world. Who cares if they have good ole boy moments, it's not affecting you or anyone else personally. May hurt your feelings in somehow or someway, but that's on you, not them. Don't be soft or offended. They have made some changes throughout the years, but do not be misunderstood to think anyone other than their membership made those decisions. Augusta doesn't need you, me, or anyone else they don't want. They let in Mercedes Benz because they wanted to as a sponsor, not because they needed them for whatever reason. Sometimes not tweaking good things is the best idea. Kind of like our uniforms at Alabammy.
And now it gets personal. You were doing fine until you get in your head it's time to teach people a social lesson. Give it up for Lent. People have their own value system and agenda and most won't feel the need to compare notes with you. So you really like the Masters, good for you. I'll be watching too.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I wasn't complaining. The last couple of seasons they are broadcasting more of their tourney. These days I can pretty much watch any sporting event going on. I have a smart TV that is hooked up to the internet that opens up 1000s stations on Roku and my Firestick. I often watch Skysports version of the golf channel and NBC and CBS. They pay a lot more attention to the actual play on the course and seldom beat you to death with personal jibberish. You can pick up most tournaments in the morning on Thursday and Fridays. Big difference.

And now it gets personal. You were doing fine until you get in your head it's time to teach people a social lesson. Give it up for Lent. People have their own value system and agenda and most won't feel the need to compare notes with you. So you really like the Masters, good for you. I'll be watching too.

It wasn't personal at all, it was simply a comment that they have done absolutely zero to anyone, including you. You called them a good ole boy club with old southern values in a way to belittle and talk down about them, when in actuality they have never personally harmed you or anyone else for that matter. Have you ever seen Augusta National aggressively go after anyone? Or do anything aggressive for that matter other than change their course layout to handle the new aged golfer with distance. So how is that for you voicing your opinion on them but not liking it when someone puts it back in your face. You have very strong opinions about a lot of things, which is obvious with the way you interact on here. This appears to be another time you want to be offended and pop off about something you truly don't know, but have absolutely zero reason to be. Have you ever been to Augusta National? If not, you have no room to say anything because you have never experienced what it's really like. If me calling you soft for the way Augusta National has seemingly hurt your feelings, then toughen up. That's not being personal, just an observation is actions not against you can hurt your feelings.

And one day you'll have to explain to me in dummy terms how you use Roku and those services.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Compared to what? Its the first major but beyond that, it's never been my favorite to watch. Even a few years ago, it was almost impossible to watch more than a few hours of it on TV due to the idea they didn't want to oversaturate the product. Other majors, I could watch all day. Jim Nance for years would come on the telecast and start sounding as somber as if giving a funeral discourse for his best friend. Talk about taking a tourney too seriously.
Hrmm. Comparable: capable of or suitable for comparison. There really aren't any courses that are comparable.

I believe you've touched on why that's missed: the limited TV exposure for years. As example, lost in the coverage is how wide open the course is or how much undelation there is from tee to green on every hole.

Only recently, as in the last decade or so, have we been able to watch wire to wire coverage. I'm thinking that started back in the days when the USA network partnered with NBC on a few tournaments. CBS did as well with The Masters. We've always seen a lot of The Open, but that's largely been forced by time differences. 2015 was the first year the US Open had wire to wire TV coverage--FOX Sports had the inaugural event.

While The Masters still didn't get as much coverage, it's generally moved along with the times. I believe it was 2002 when we saw the entire 18 on Sunday. If I'm not mistaken, that's the same year they covered the front nine for the first time.

I'm thinking it falls down to how much time/value one puts in the sport. It's funny how people are awed by the Coliseum in Los Angles while others comment about its dilapidated condition. I don't know of any golfers who are in awe of Augusta and it's far from dilapidated, much less a course that's been outgrown by the game.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
Some of the best memories I have are from following The Masters. The limited coverage actually worked with me on the theory of absence making the heart grow fonder. Arnie, Jack, Gary, Watson,Freddie, Shark etc created so many memories on the course and then of course Tiger, Phil Vijay etc in recent years.. There are many golf courses in the US that I would love to play, Augusta is the only golf course in the US that I would let someone whip my ass willingly if I could play.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
It wasn't personal at all, it was simply a comment that they have done absolutely zero to anyone, including you. You called them a good ole boy club with old southern values in a way to belittle and talk down about them, when in actuality they have never personally harmed you or anyone else for that matter. Have you ever seen Augusta National aggressively go after anyone? Or do anything aggressive for that matter other than change their course layout to handle the new aged golfer with distance. So how is that for you voicing your opinion on them but not liking it when someone puts it back in your face. You have very strong opinions about a lot of things, which is obvious with the way you interact on here. This appears to be another time you want to be offended and pop off about something you truly don't know, but have absolutely zero reason to be. Have you ever been to Augusta National? If not, you have no room to say anything because you have never experienced what it's really like. If me calling you soft for the way Augusta National has seemingly hurt your feelings, then toughen up.

And one day you'll have to explain to me in dummy terms how you use Roku and those services.
More social commentary? It's good this thread came up so you could get this off your chest. However, it means little to me. I have zero interest in making a pilgrimage to Augusta to somehow reconcile what they historically stood and stand for. Pretty much common knowledge for anyone interested. What they stand for in my world is about 4 days of hitting a little white ball around a bunch of azaleas.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
More social commentary? It's good this thread came up so you could get this off your chest. However, it means little to me. I have zero interest in making a pilgrimage to Augusta to somehow reconcile what they historically stood and stand for. Pretty much common knowledge for anyone interested. What they stand for in my world is about 4 days of hitting a little white ball around a bunch of azaleas.
Bwahahahahaha, you're so full of yourself it's not even funny. You speak for what they stand for, yet the social makeup of their members is from different societies, races, genders and political beliefs, yet you claim to know what they have "historically stood and stand for"??????????? Question, do you sit in front of the mirror just to watch yourself talk on a daily basis? Enjoy the tournament.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Bwahahahahaha, you're so full of yourself it's not even funny. You speak for what they stand for, yet the social makeup of their members is from different societies, races, genders and political beliefs, yet you claim to know what they have "historically stood and stand for"??????????? Question, do you sit in front of the mirror just to watch yourself talk on a daily basis? Enjoy the tournament.

Are you are drugs? If you have a point that somehow would interest me, say it? So far you're telling me nothing that would change my opinion of Augusta or golf country clubs in general. Other than you telling me I'm soft or it's their business. Not all that comprehensive and motivating to offer a rebuttal.

The history of sports in general read like the civil rights movement in this country. The racism, bias, elitism, and outright hatred coming from organized sports and particularly golf is well documented if you want to google. I'll watch the Masters anyway, what can I say?

"Golfers Will Be White, and Caddies Will Be Black"

DATE: 1975
Golf administrator and co-founder of the Augusta National Golf Club, Clifford Roberts was well-known for his racism and famous for the quote, "As long as I'm alive, golfers will be white, and caddies will be black."

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Are you are drugs? If you have a point that somehow would interest me, say it? So far you're telling me nothing that would change my opinion of Augusta or golf country clubs in general. Other than you telling me I'm soft or it's their business. Not all that comprehensive and motivating to offer a rebuttal.

The history of sports in general read like the civil rights movement in this country. The racism, bias, elitism, and outright hatred coming from organized sports and particularly golf is well documented if you want to google. I'll watch the Masters anyway, what can I say?

DATE: 1975
Golf administrator and co-founder of the Augusta National Golf Club, Clifford Roberts was well-known for his racism and famous for the quote, "As long as I'm alive, golfers will be white, and caddies will be black."

Ok, so what does that have to do with the organization today and the comments you are making about their strides in the last twenty years? Anyone can find a skeleton in anyone's closet due to the history of this country. Everything to do with America deals with slavery and people in positions just like the one you quoted above. You're a fan of a school still perceived as a Southern racist school. After all, Alabama just integrated its football team about this time in history as well. And I'll put it this way, the caddies that were there then are the same ones that are there now. Further more to people like you that just can't get over themselves or add any extra knowledge is that they respected Clifford Roberts and take up for him even till this day. He took care of them, watched after them, gave them jobs, and respected them. But hey, leave it to a guy that has never been, doesn't care to go, and has zero inside information on the topic to be the one that acts like he knows it all. Go read a book and fully understand the full picture.

A little bit of an edit, no one on this site has ever made you change your mind even when providing facts, statistics, or any other proof. That outta tell you something right there. My point in this whole thing was not to make you change your mind, but make you understand you know absolutely zero about what you're trying to pin on someone. Once again, quit being soft and enjoy the tournament.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Ok, so what does that have to do with the organization today and the comments you are making about their strides in the last twenty years? Anyone can find a skeleton in anyone's closet due to the history of this country. Everything to do with America deals with slavery and people in positions just like the one you quoted above. You're a fan of a school still perceived as a Southern racist school. After all, Alabama just integrated its football team about this time in history as well. And I'll put it this way, the caddies that were there then are the same ones that are there now. Further more to people like you that just can't get over themselves or add any extra knowledge is that they respected Clifford Roberts and take up for him even till this day. He took care of them, watched after them, gave them jobs, and respected them. But hey, leave it to a guy that has never been, doesn't care to go, and has zero inside information on the topic to be the one that acts like he knows it all. Go read a book and fully understand the full picture.

Clifford Roberts probably loved his mother too. But he was a racist and ran a racist tournament. You have now qualified my discussion to only include the last 20 years. I sense you aren't that confident about the previous 70.

As recently as 2014 women were protesting and picketing the Masters because of the exclusion of women as members in the Augusta Country Club. Even though the members of the old guard recently folded on that one it took about a hundred years longer than the women's suffrage movement. But, hey, progress is progress. Thus the term, "good ole boys club." If the shoe fits for about 90 years of your existence, and my goodness, the last 20 years, you might as well admit it and just wear it.

12gage

Century Club
Reaction score
The racism, bias, elitism, and outright hatred coming from organized sports and particularly golf is well documented if you want to google
Interesting comment here because that's not documented, anywhere. It's been attributed to him without anyone saying "I heard him say that."

Two different accounts:

Golf administrator and co-founder of the Augusta National Golf Club, Clifford Roberts was well-known for his racism and famous for the quote, "As long as I'm alive, golfers will be white, and caddies will be black." Roberts must have been turning in his grave seeing Tiger Woods dominate Augusta the way he did earlier in his career. Better yet, he, and every other deceased golfer, must really be turning in their grave whenever they see Charles Barkley take a golf swing.

And another:

While Roberts was very nice and accommodating to Elder when he showed up for the 1975 Masters, many folks, especially fellow African-American golfer Charlie Sifford still believed (and Sifford still believes today) that Roberts had made a quote that has been widely attributed to him over the years, that “As long as I’m alive, golfers will be white, and caddies will be black.”

Now, again, let me note that I’m not saying that Roberts was not racist. Heck, the odds are that he likely was racist (although to what degree I think is up for debate).

However, what I AM saying is that Roberts was very cognizant of what Augusta’s position on race looked like to the American public, and as such, he was VERY careful with how he spoke about race in public.

When you add in the fact that I’ve never seen anyone actually have a definitive source for WHEN Roberts said the quote (it is always either ” I heard he said it” or most commonly it is just attributed to Roberts without ANY reference, like it is obvious that he said it) or WHO he said it to, I just don’t think we can properly claim that he said the quote.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
As recently as 2014 women were protesting and picketing the Masters because of the exclusion of women as members in the Augusta Country Club. Even though the members of the old guard recently folded on that one it took about a hundred years longer than the women's suffrage movement. But, hey, progress is progress. Thus the term, "good ole boys club." If the shoe fits for about 90 years of your existence, and my goodness, the last 20 years, you might as well admit it and just wear it.
The comparison to the suffrage movement with membership at a golf club? Come on, man.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Interesting comment here because that's not documented, anywhere. It's been attributed to him without anyone saying "I heard him say that."

Two different accounts:

Golf administrator and co-founder of the Augusta National Golf Club, Clifford Roberts was well-known for his racism and famous for the quote, "As long as I'm alive, golfers will be white, and caddies will be black." Roberts must have been turning in his grave seeing Tiger Woods dominate Augusta the way he did earlier in his career. Better yet, he, and every other deceased golfer, must really be turning in their grave whenever they see Charles Barkley take a golf swing.

And another:

While Roberts was very nice and accommodating to Elder when he showed up for the 1975 Masters, many folks, especially fellow African-American golfer Charlie Sifford still believed (and Sifford still believes today) that Roberts had made a quote that has been widely attributed to him over the years, that “As long as I’m alive, golfers will be white, and caddies will be black.”

Now, again, let me note that I’m not saying that Roberts was not racist. Heck, the odds are that he likely was racist (although to what degree I think is up for debate).

However, what I AM saying is that Roberts was very cognizant of what Augusta’s position on race looked like to the American public, and as such, he was VERY careful with how he spoke about race in public.

When you add in the fact that I’ve never seen anyone actually have a definitive source for WHEN Roberts said the quote (it is always either ” I heard he said it” or most commonly it is just attributed to Roberts without ANY reference, like it is obvious that he said it) or WHO he said it to, I just don’t think we can properly claim that he said the quote.

The Color Barrier at The Masters

As the first African American to play in the Masters, Lee Elder faced much criticism and hate. He was forced to rent two houses during the tournament so that he could move between them in an effort to protect himself from attacks by racists. In addition to that, when asked about Elder playing in the tournament, Augusta National co-founder Clifford Roberts was quoted as saying, "To make an exception would be practicing discrimination in reverse." Two years after Elder made his Masters debut, Roberts committed suicide by shooting himself on the banks of the par-3 course at Augusta.

The club has drawn criticism for its exclusionary membership policies: Augusta National barred African Americans until 1990 and women until 2012. The club, which long required all caddies to be black, barred black golfers from the Masters Tournament for 40 years until Lee Elder participated in the 1975 Tournament.

Augusta National Golf Club, located in Augusta, Georgia, is one of the most famous golf clubs .... (with the correct title, "Shoutin' in that Amen Corner" written by Andy Razaf), which was recorded ... The club also faced demands that the PGA Championship not be held there because of racist comments by the club's founder.
Augusta National Golf Club - Wikipedia

Top Bottom