| OT Are you into sports nostalgia? A thread on "Our Lives" gives me an idea...post some of your nostalgic pictures from sports: real or in the movies

bamachine

Master Debater
Century Club
Reaction score
i was 9 at that time (would be 10 later that year)...but i can still remember the feeling when we beat the soviets. it was like the unbelievable...the unimaginable...had happened. no one gave us a chance; even most in this country. but the coach and those boys had to know what they were about to do.

and if you haven't seen the movie made about it, Miracle, you definitely should.
I was the same age but did not really realize how big it was, back then. I watched the Olympics but I only halfway paid attention to the Winter games. I was all about the Summer games back then. That was the one year where I paid more attention to the Winter games, since we had boycotted the Summer games. Because of that, I just saw that game as big because it was against the enemy, not because of the difference between amateurs versus pros.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
1972 Olympic Basketball Team....cheated out of the Gold Medal.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
"The Rumble in the Jungle."

I grew up in the golden age of the heavyweight division of boxing and no one was bigger or more iconic than Muhammad Ali. Going into that fight he was a huge underdog and Howard Cosell was publically fearing for his life. Still, just 32 years old he broke out the old Ali smarts and ability to adapt to any style. The Sonny Liston and Frazier wars deserve honorable mention in my life but the biggest upset against the absolute beast in the autumn of his career and the golden age was the biggest sports event in my life. His sports illustrated athlete of the year is still the only picture that ever hung on my wall growing up.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
"The Rumble in the Jungle."

The Sonny Liston and Frazier wars deserve honorable mention

Was on honeymoon in hot springs AR with ms50+ on first ali-frasier fight.... wasn't televised so tv came on and gave descriptions after each round....
always was big Ali fan. Great athlete

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
45C7063A-5497-40A3-93B4-BD65D91789DC.png
The darkest of dark days....and after the lawsuits...a collapse of the Saturday Evening Post.....for the lieing scum bags they are/were....

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
@50+yeartidefan, that's a good question. It was before I was born and while I can't remember which book I know I found out about it reading a book about Coach Bryant.

I wonder what that suit would be in today's dollars? 90 million or so I'm guessing. I remember his suit was raised from 5 to 10MM.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
@50+yeartidefan, that's a good question. It was before I was born and while I can't remember which book I know I found out about it reading a book about Coach Bryant.

I wonder what that suit would be in today's dollars? 90 million or so I'm guessing. I remember his suit was raised from 5 to 10MM.
I have the original SAturday evening post magazine. Early 60s somewhere. I remember BEAR coming on TV to dispute article but it was long time ago.
My dad was fighting mad about the article. Lol
I remember that. Butts got a million i think. Bear was awarded more

Top Bottom