FTBL Alabama wins 27th SEC Championship with 35-28 victory over Georgia. (Post game pressers, photos, and more)

Listen to his post game presser, it speaks volumes, loudly.

Two second half performances against Alabama, I can only imagine the pressure that Kirby is soon to be under from his constituents.

Let him sulk from Athens during the playoffs.

This is war.
Agree with this. I wish Coach Saban had not said he does not want to play Georgia again. I know he wanted to compliment Kriby's team but acknowledge also that bama played a poorly in the game.

Lets see what Smart does when he starts losing critical coaches like Tucker...

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
For the second year in a row, Saban was far more complimentary of the opponent than Smart. I really don't like this guy and he doesn't go out of his way to do much more than lobby for his team. They couldn't play any better and we just didn't look like ourselves for the 2nd year in a row coming down the stretch of our November games. In a rematch, they might find themselves in the same boat as LSU in 2011. On the short end of a fired up Crimson Tide.

bama alum

Verified Member
HARRY'S
Sober me watched Kirby's presser this morning. Dude sounded perturbed that his bad decision didn't work and he had to come up with a way to blame someone else. Notice he said they didn't snap it in time. If the whole thing relied on someone being uncovered then you have to have the ability to audible into some kind of punt. There was obviously no thought of not going for it even if everyone was covered.

Five things we learned: Alabama had Georgia's fake punt sniffed out | BamaInsider.com

ATLANTA — For a second straight season, Alabama used a second-half comeback to beat Georgia in Mercedes-Benz Stadium. No. 1 Alabama defeated No. 4 Georgia 35-28 Saturday to claim its 27th SEC title. Here are five things we learned from the game.

Alabama saw Georgia’s fake punt coming

Georgia’s fake punt late in the fourth quarter might have left the crowd inside of Mercedes-Benz Stadium stunned. However, Alabama players saw it from miles away.

With the score tied at 28 and 3:11 left on the clock, Georgia faced a fourth-and-11 from the 50-yard line. Lining up for a punt, the Bulldogs tried to be sneaky, trotting out backup quarterback Justin Fields as the upback. However, Alabama spotted Fields’ presence right away as linebackers Christian Miller and Anfernee Jennings stopped him for just a 2-yard gain after he took the direct snap.

"I wasn’t surprised. I mean they lined the quarterback up as the personal protector,” Miller said. “I mean correct me if I’m wrong, but he wasn’t on the field for the other punts. As soon as I saw No. 1 standing there we’re all pointing.”

CBS Sports

@CBSSports

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1069026309072805888

On 4th and 11, Georgia dialed up this fake.
Alabama was not fooled.

6:31 PM - Dec 1, 2018

314 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

After taking over at its own 48-yard line, Alabama capitalized on the good field position. On the ensuing drive, quarterback Jalen Hurts drove the Crimson Tide down the field before running in the eventual game-winning touchdown from 15 yards out with 1:04 remaining on the clock.

"I wanted to be aggressive," Georgia head coach Kirby Smart said. "Look, I wasn't coming here to play to tie, to play to keep it close. We came here to win the game. We wanted to win the game. These kids deserve to win the game, and we weren't able to do it."

While he doesn’t blame Smart for going for the fake, Miller said plays like those are something Alabama prepares for regularly. Saturday, that preparation played a huge role in the Crimson Tide coming away with the victory.

“We go over situations and stuff like that,” Miller said. “Especially in that area, you always want to be on high alert for fakes. It’s just a matter of having awareness that, ‘Hey No. 1 is behind the center. He might take a snap.’”

Tagovailoa should be fine

It was a day to forget for Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. The Heisman contender had the worst outing of his career, completing 10 of 25 passes for 164 yards and a touchdown and two interceptions. Making matters worse, the sophomore quarterback was forced out of the game when left tackle Jonah Williams stepped on his right ankle in the fourth quarter.

Tagovailoa spent several moments on the ground and had to be helped off by trainers. However, according to head coach Nick Saban, the injury shouldn’t keep his star quarterback out for an extended period of time.

“Tua actually sprained his ankle in the first half, actually came back and played,” Saban said. “The other injury, he got stepped on, his foot, which I don’t think is significant. So, we’re going to evaluate his ankle tomorrow, but I don’t think it’s going to be something that would keep him out. Maybe for a little while, but we probably won’t practice for a couple weeks anyway. But we’ll know more about that tomorrow.”

Jacobs rebounded from illness

Before earning offensive MVP honors, Josh Jacobs hardly mustered up the strength to down a bowl of soup. The Alabama running back suffered flu-like symptoms which made it hard for him to drink fluids much less eat a solid meal heading into Saturday’s game.

“My body was aching,” Jacobs said. “I had cold sweats and stuff.”

Jacobs said he started feeling sick on Tuesday and missed Thursday’s practice. He received two IVs Saturday, one before the game and one during halftime as his body started cramping due to lack of fluids. However, that didn’t stop him from piling up 86 yards and two touchdowns on eight carries against the Bulldogs.

Bulovas confident kicking woes will improve

To most it might have seemed like a trivial point in Alabama’s comeback. However, it was a pressure-packed moment all the same. Following Hurts’ touchdown pass to Jerry Jeudy with 5:19 remaining in the fourth quarter, kicker Joseph Bulovas stepped up to tie the game for the Crimson Tide.

“As a kicker, you can’t really look at pressure, and you kind of train yourself not to feel it,” Bulovas said. “It’s really just see it, hit it. And that’s how I was about my business. Obviously, yes, there was a lot of pressure involved. But at the end of the day, it’s an extra point and you have to get it through.”

Bulovas did just that, knocking his kick through the uprights. In fact, the redshirt freshman nailed all five of his attempts on the night. Unfortunately for Alabama, that hasn’t always been the norm this season. The Crimson Tide has missed a whopping eight extra points this season, including five from Bulovas.

“There’s no excuse. Our operation needs to get better,” Bulovas said. “It needs to get more consistent with extra points, field goals — long or short.

“That’s something we’ve been working on. Throughout the year we’ve tried different holders. But we feel confident in what we’re doing, and that’s all that really matters now.”

Bulovas’ five extra points give him 68 on the season, moving him into second place on Alabama’s single-season PAT list. Jeremy Shelley holds the record with 69 conversions in 2012.

Big day for Alabama seniors

Alabama’s victory Saturday helped its seniors set a milestone. With the win, this year’s senior class moved to 54-3, setting an NCAA record for most wins by a single class. The previous record was held by last year’s Alabama class, which finished with a 53-5 record. The Crimson Tide will have at least and possibly two games to expand on the record as it enters the College Football Playoff.

Senior running back Damien Harris finished with 52 yards on nine carries. Senior defensive end Isaiah Buggs recorded four tackles, while redshirt senior linebacker Christian Miller tallied three tackles and a quarterback hurry. Senior punter Mike Bernier averaged 40.2 yards per punt on five punts.
1 Tony_Tsoukalas, Today at 12:54 AM

Henderson: Three Observations after Alabama's 35-28 win over Georgia | BamaInsider.com

1. Alabama showed resiliency in tonight's performance against Georgia

I spoke with several players following tonight's game and they all agreed that the second half fight of this team proved to be enough to beat Georgia for the second time this calendar year. Damien Harris spoke about the importance of keeping the right psychological disposition when your back is against the wall, Deionte Thompson said that the fight in this team is unmatched, and freshman Jaylen Waddle said Nick Saban told them to just calm down at the half.

We've never seen Alabama have this much difficulty moving the football since the last time they played Georgia. Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa who has been putting up Heisman type numbers all season long was 10 of 25 on the night for just 164-yards and through three quarters, Alabama was 0-6 on 3rd down conversions. This team which trailed 28-14 with 12:39 in the 3rd quarter had two choices: One being to quit the second option was to dig down and to play championship football, they obviously as a team chose the second option.

2. Kirby Smart is a defensive mastermind

Think back to the last time these two teams played. What did Smart do? He put together a game plan to shut down at the time starting quarterback Jalen Hurts. Hurts' dual-threat style did nothing in round one and tonight, in what I'm dubbing round two, Smart had created a game plan to shut down Tagovailoa.

Yes, the dropped passes, holding onto the football for too long, and mental errors contributed to Georgia leading this game heading into the fourth quarter, but you have to credit Smart for nearly being the first former assistant of Saban to take down the GOAT in college football. Saban knew what he was losing when he lost Smart and know this: Georgia is not going anywhere and this will not be the last time these two teams have us on the edge of our seats for 60 minutes or more...

3. You could not write a better story for Jalen Hurts

I spoke
with Jalen Hurts' father Averion after the game and he said it was pretty amazing to see how all of this has really come full circle. Being this is the place that Jalen lost his starting role for Alabama and to see him lead the team to a victory when the game was on the line was just a testament to Jalen and the character that he has. He said Jalen has never complained and that he's handled everything thrown at him better than most grown men would have. He also said they understand it's now Tua's team and hopes for Tagovailoa to get healthy for the playoffs, but he also said he's never been prouder of his son Jalen tonight.

Post Game Notes

NOTES GAME CAPTAINS: Alabama’s captains against Georgia today were tight end Hale Hentges, linebacker Anfernee Jennings, and offensive lineman Ross Pierschbacher.

JACOBS EARNS SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME MVP HONORS: Junior running back Josh Jacobs rushed for a game-high 83 yards and two touchdowns to earn SEC Championship Game MVP honors. Jacobs averaged 10.4 yards per carry on eight rushing attempts to pace the Tide ground game. He is just the sixth UA back to rush for multiple touchdowns in an SEC Championship Game.

TIDE SENIORS POST NCAA-RECORD 54TH WIN: Alabama’s win over Georgia was the 54th for members of Alabama’s senior class. The group has now posted a record of 54-3 (.947) to surpass Alabama’s 2017 senior class (53-5, .914) for the most wins by a senior class in NCAA history.

ALABAMA REACHES 13 WINS FOR THE SIXTH TIME IN SCHOOL HISTORY: With its 35-28 win over Georgia, Alabama moves to 13-0 in 2018, marking the sixth time in school history the Tide has reached the 13-win plateau. Alabama finished 13-0 in 1992, 14-0 in 2009, 13-1 in 2012, 14-1 in 2015 and 2016 and is currently 13-0 this season. The six seasons with at least 13 wins are the most by any school in Football Bowl Subdivision history.

DEFENSIVE NOTESCAREER HIGH IN TACKLES FOR SAIVION SMITH: Junior Saivion Smith established a new career high in tackles with a team-leading 11 total stops against Georgia. His previous high was six, achieved four times, most recently against Auburn on Nov. 24. The total is also the second-most by an Alabama defender in the SEC Championship Game (12 - Chris Donnelly vs. Florida, 1993).

QUINNEN WILLIAMS NOW TIED FOR NINTH ON UA SINGLE-SEASON TACKLES FOR LOSS LIST: With two tackles for loss against Georgia, Quinnen Williams now has 18 TFLs on the season, which ties the redshirt sophomore for ninth in the school single-season list with Trevis Smith (1997) and Mark Anderson (2005)

OFFENSIVE NOTESJACOBS’ TWO FIRST-HALF RUSHING TOUCHDOWNS TIES FOR SECOND MOST IN UA SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME HISTORY:Junior Josh Jacobs’ two first-half rushing touchdowns are one shy of the Alabama record for rushing scores in an SEC Championship Game. Mark Ingram rushed for three touchdowns against Florida in 2009. Jacobs’ two rushing scores ties him with Bo Scarbrough (2016), Derrick Henry (2014) Eddie Lacy (2012) and Derrick Lassic (1992) for second behind Ingram. The two scores gives Jacobs three touchdowns on the ground in two SEC Championship Game appearances, which also ranks No. 2 in Tide championship game history behind Ingram (4, 2008-09)

JACOBS RECORDS SECOND-LONGEST ALABAMA RUSH IN SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME HISTORY: Josh Jacobs’ second-quarter, 59-yard run to set up the Tide’s second touchdown is the second-longest run for an Alabama player in SEC Championship Game history, trailing Freddie Milons’ 77-yard scoring scamper against Florida in 1999.

HURTS CLOSING IN ON 5,000/2,000 MILESTONE: With 28 yards on the ground in the fourth quarter against Georgia, Jalen Hurts upped his career rushing total to 1,976 yards, putting him just 24 yards away from becoming the first quarterback in Alabama history to rush for 2,000 yards and pass for 5,000 yards in his career. Hurts has thrown for 5,616 yards in 40 games at the Capstone. He is one of seven 5,000-yard passers in school history.

HURTS’ CAREER TOUCHDOWN RESPONSIBILITY: Jalen Hurts’ rushing and passing touchdowns against Georgia gives the junior 71 combined career touchdowns, just nine behind UA career leader AJ McCarron (80 in 53 games, 2010-13). Hurts has thrown 48 touchdown passes and rushed for 23 scores in 40 career games.

HURTS AND TAGOVAILOA TIED IN SECOND ON UA CAREER TOUCHDOWN PASSES LIST: Tua Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts each threw their 48th career scoring toss against Georgia to share second place on the UA career touchdown passes list. The duo was tied with John Parker Wilson (2005-08) at 47 entering the SEC Championship Game. AJ McCarron (2010-13) is the Alabama career leader with 77 touchdown passes.

JEUDY SECOND ON UA SINGLE-SEASON TOUCHDOWN RECEPTIONS LIST: Jerry Jeudy’s 10-yard, game-tying touchdown reception from Jalen Hurts in the fourth quarter today was the sophomore’s 12th scoring catch of the season, good for second on the Alabama single-season touchdown receptions list behind school record holder Amari Cooper, who caught 16 in 2014.

JEUDY MOVES INTO THIRD PLACE ON THE TIDE SEASON RECEIVING YARDS CHART: Jerry Jeudy’s 24 receiving yards on three catches against Georgia gives him 1,103 yards receiving this season, just 30 yards behind second-place Julio Jones (1,133 yards in 2010). Amari Cooper is the school record-holder with 1,727 yards in 2014.

FIRST HALF SCORING: Through 13 games this season, Alabama is outscoring its opponents, 388-103 (29.4-7.9), in the first half. That total includes a 199-45 (15.3-3.5) first quarter advantage and a 189-58 (14.5-4.5) difference in the second quarter.

SPECIAL TEAMS NOTESBULOVAS NOW SECOND ON UA SINGLE-SEASON PAT LIST: Redshirt freshman Joseph Bulovas’ five PATs against Georgia gives the Mandeville, La., native 68 for the season, moving him into second place on the UA single-season PAT list. Jeremy Shelley is Alabama’s season leader with 69 conversions in 2012.

Top Bottom