| FTBL Alabama will retain Pete Golding as defensive coordinator.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I, like most, are fine with Golding staying. I, like most as well want to see more pressure from a pass rush and blitz package. Say what you want about young players and position, but there were plenty of times just sending a guy and putting some pressure would have been better than our guys ending up in no man's land or trailing their guy by three stepa. Let them come down Hill on a quarterback that likely freaks out and makes a bad decision. To me, that is simplifying for a Freshman. Hey, don't think, just go get the ball. Blame whomever you want, but I still didn't see much blitzing from anyone on our team and it could have helped instead of allowing so many third and long conversions.

Bamabww

Bench Warmer
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was Bo Davis who recommended Golding to Saban. Hopefully Golding has his off the field problems taken care of that were rumored at the end of the season. I hope that from a personal viewpoint not that it distracted him in any way but you never know what battles other people are dealing with.

@JoseyWalesTheOutlaw , you remember the line from "A Long December" by the Counting Crows that applies here?

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
If NS didn’t see a problem....then there wasn’t one.....period

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I was in the car almost all day today and had on the ole talk radio pretty much the whole time... stupidly left it there when Finebaum came on... and BOY, is he going all in on this "the dynasty is over and Saban is over" stuff. I know part of it is trolling Alabama fans because that's his bread and butter at times, but holy hell. He made the assertion that the downfall of Bear Bryant wasn't his age or health, but the "deterioration of his coaching staff" and the quality of his coaches. He directly correlated that with Saban and implied that Pete Golding is proof that Saban is in 1980s Bear territory. Good lord.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Finebaum has the listeners and knows how to get people stirred up..
The Bear .... late 70s and 80s....
2 NCs......and 80was 2 tough losses....ms state and nd...( I thought one of his best teams)
81 n 82 had some great talent and coaches,...dont see any correlation.....i was around......I remember.......
Successful seasons require a lot of things ...including breaks...we didnt get them in 2019.... nor in 80-82........ had pretty much same coaching staff as late 70s I think..
Have to check but..
Fine aum is an idiot......why people listen i dont know.

Reaction score
Coach Bryant's health was the biggest contributor to our slow drift to being just good but Brother Oliver leaving didn't help. It would not surprise me that Nick doesn't win another NC at Bama. Then again he just might regroup and get it done. If you're reading this Nick then uncross those arms on GameDay and kick some azz like it's 2008 all over again.

Colonel Meyers...……. My men are hard chargers, Major! Leutenant Ring and Gunny Highway took a handfull of young fire pissers, exercised some personal initiative and kicked ass!

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I think the whole Dynasty being over is typical media hoopla. Like a lot of other journalist, at some point they will be correct. It will be over. Saban will have had enough and will retire. Then, the ones that had been saying it, will look like Nostradumbass because they correctly called it. They will point to this on their shows: I said this after the Clemson demolition in the 2019 CFB game, yada yada yada.

I think we are definitely on the downhill side of CNS career at Alabama, exactly where we are in that tenure remains to be seen. I'm sure there might be some similarities between the end of Bear and where Saban is now, but this is totally different era's and the game is not the same. Couple that with the health differences.

Bear was 69 when he died, but looked like he was 80. All the liquor and Chesterfields had caught up to him. Saban is no where near that unhealthy. The real question is how much longer he wants to do this.

Reaction score
I see several more 11-2 years ahead with maybe one more playoff before Nick retires. Nick is surrounded by snakes in the SEC. You can bet they will use his age against him in recruiting and that will sway some recruits. I see three more years or 4 at max. The loss of Pruitt was huge but can't blame JP for taking HC gig. All the problems 10RC had after firing Butch seemed funny at the time but when they came (last resort) and took JP now I see that as not so funny but a real big problem for Bama. We'll see.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Tennessee has a long way to go....but they have restored their place as 3rd in SECe
Dont see any thing that will move them up or down....
Unlike west where AU, LSU, even AnM are or will be a threat.... to get on top with bama... and now msu n ole miss.....have restructured
SECw is going to be a dogfight...be glad we have nick

Top Bottom