| FTBL Alabama will retain Pete Golding as defensive coordinator.

sk33tr

el jefe
Bama Club
Reaction score
as long as positive (sacks, takeaways, tfl, pass b/ups) defensive numbers go up, i'm ok with it.

positive progression is what we all want every single season. and as long as that happens, i'll be happy.

jdpas29

Verified Member
Bama Club
Reaction score
D line and linebackers need help. I'm not sure he is the problem, but I hope to see it improve.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Regardless of anyone's position on the individuals themselves... You've got to admit it's a nice change to have both coordinators back and some consistency on the staff. Hopefully that will add value to the improvement you'd hope both coaches make after last year. As always, time will tell.

Reaction score
If true then Nick Saban is telling us the defensive line coaching was a bigger problem or he really couldn't hire the person he wanted.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I'll admit, I have not been a fan but I can accept the fact that he is getting another year. Hopefully, we will see improvement overall in the defense this coming season.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Saban has not been happy with the DL coach. That's why the DL coach has been replaced 3 years in a row.

Bo Davis - forced out due to compliance after 201
Karl Dunbar - 2 years then gone (2016-2017)
Kuligowski - 1 year then gone
Baker - 1 year then moved to off-field
Roach - looks like a great hire

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Davis, if he hadn't been fired, he would've left eventually.
Dunbar wasn't bad at all. I thought he wanted to go to NFL?
Baker was lazy on recruiting and wanted to go back to NFL.
Kuligowski didn't work hard teaching and develop the kids.

Roach was/ is the right hire.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I suspect the issue we had with run defense was mostly on DL... if DL can't do their job, it force LBs to do extra work or stretched out of their comfort zone, and that happened way too much. Roach will get them right.

Reaction score
Bama has a talent decline at ILB and we better get some help from these new hires. I believe #32 will be a big upgrade from 35 and 8 but even he struggled. I have zero confidence that 10,36,42, and 35 will become big time players at ILB for Bama.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
I have heard Dunbar was an abject disaster. Terrible at recruiting.

Baker is just moving off-field. He did well coaching DL when Miss. St had a loaded DL.

Kuligowski was awful.

The freshmen LB are affected by the DL in front of them. Especially in a 2 gap scheme. If the DL has been this badly coached, who knows how much it has affected the LBs.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Dunbar- Karl Dunbar Timeline Events he did decent job..... but then again he missed out on key targets including Langham that went to Florida I believe. I wouldn't say he was terrible, just didn't put extra efforts into recruiting kids. I believe That was when Saban lit into the staff after Feb Signing day where they missed on lot of kids.

Baker- He lost two commits, and several other targets.. he was pretty much 0 for something as of now. His heart was NFL... so He moved into Burn 's position and I wouldn't be shocked to see him moving on after 2020 season.

Kuligowski - This was a weird situation. Both Kool and Saban have known each other for over 15 years, So Saban had to know how he recruit, coaches and etc, and yet he was sent packing after one year? What was unique about departure of ex-Alabama DL coach How did he went from being very good coach and recruiter to bad coach and recruiter at Alabama?

That seems to be common theme with DL coaches, and I suspect that their style of coaching didn't fit Saban's style... How do you go from a place where you were very good at several things to Alabama where you were medicore ? Could be that they weren't used to high pressure situation at Alabama that they wouldn't experience elsewhere.

That's why I'm loving Roach hire because he knows what it is like to work for Saban and knows what it takes to excel at coaching, developing and recruiting kids. Be relentess and if he does great job and continue to grow, I wouldn't be shocked to see him the next up and coming DC coach in next 2 to 3 years.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
LOL. Yeah I still think DL was the issue. If you can't control the line, you put LB in suspect position. Lee wasn't ready to play, but neither was Kaho, Moody, Davis... So they had no choice. Lee will get a chance to sit and redshirt and actually learn from players.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I'm on my phone so it's going to be a little difficult to track this down in further detail.

May I caution consider the source?

With limited research capability ( translated- it's easier on my laptop) it appears to me Sidelines - Bama is the marketing arm for an apparel company.

While I'm not saying what's posted here isn't true I am saying ... Consider the source.

Reaction score
If by Feb 12 one Pete Golding is still at Bama as the DC then you know he is OK in the eye of Nick Saban. NSD is Feb 5 so that is why is say a week later is the timeline to be in or gone. JMO but Baker's move was asap to get Freddie to be able to recruit for these couple of weeks. I don't expect Baker to be around Titletown for the 2020 season.

Top Bottom