Fourth-ranked Alabama Softball took Friday's series opener over No. 21 Georgia, 4-1.
ATHENS, Ga. – Fourth-ranked Alabama Softball took Friday's series opener over No. 21 Georgia, 4-1.
Alabama (37-7, 13-6 SEC) had an early opportunity against Georgia (29-15, 7-12 SEC), loading the bases in the top of the first but the Bulldogs got out of the jam. In the top of the third with two on and one out, Kaylee Tow smashed a home run to right center to make it a 3-0 game. After back-to-back walks, an RBI single from Maddie Morgan made it 4-0 and forced the early pitching change for Georgia. The Crimson Tide loaded the bases again but failed to add any more runs in the inning. In the bottom of the fifth, the Bulldogs led off the half-inning with back-to-back doubles to get on the board but that was the final run that crossed the plate for either team.
Tow led Alabama's offense with a 3-for-4 day including a home run, double and single. It marked her team-leading 14th multi-hit game of the season and her sixth three-hit game. In the circle, Montana Fouts (16-3) went the distance for her 14th complete-game victory of the season, striking out nine with one earned run allowed on three hits and one walk.
- Alabama improves to 47-20 all-time vs. Georgia, including the last six straight, and 18-11 in Athens
- The Tide is now 7-3 on the road in SEC play this season
- Alabama is 5-2 this year in SEC series openers
- Kaylee Tow earned her team-leading 14th multi-hit game of season, including a season-high three hits for the sixth time
- Bailey Hemphill's two walks improves her career total to 215, closing in on Arkansas' Devon Wallace who sits at second in SEC history with 235
- With a 0-for-4 day, KB Sides' reached base streak ended at 20 games, the longest of her career and the longest for any Tide player since Hemphill reached in 41 straight games in 2019
- T3 | Kaylee Tow blasted a three-run home run to right center (3-0, 1 Out)
- T3 | Maddie Morgan dropped an RBI single into left to score Savannah Woodard from second (4-0, 1 Out)
- B5 | Georgia started the inning with back-to-back doubles to get on the board (4-1, 0 Out)
UP NEXT - ALABAMA AT GEORGIA (ATHENS, GA.)
- Saturday, May 1 – 12 p.m. CT (ESPN2)
- Sunday, May 2 – 1 p.m. CT