| MBB/WBB Alabama Men’s Basketball Ends Season in Sweet 16 with Overtime Loss to UCLA, 88-78

Rolltide24

Century Club
I thought Michigan would be vulnerable to a team that pushes a very fast tempo and shoots a lot of 3’s. Like Bama. They are a big team that likes to run the half court offense. They shot 11 3’s in each of the last 2 games. Feels a little more old school ball. But it works for them. I still liked our chances if we played them. If we would have a decent night from 3 land and actually make some free throws, we could knock them out.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
I thought Michigan would be vulnerable to a team that pushes a very fast tempo and shoots a lot of 3’s. Like Bama. They are a big team that likes to run the half court offense. They shot 11 3’s in each of the last 2 games. Feels a little more old school ball. But it works for them. I still liked our chances if we played them. If we would have a decent night from 3 land and actually make some free throws, we could knock them out.
@mando

the things championship teams do:
Control your boards
Be efficient at the charity stripe
Limit turnovers
Play D

you are lucky to win if you aren't efficient in all of these 4 areas

bama allowed to many offensive rebounds and shot poorly from charity stripe
2 of 4 aint good

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
@mando

the things championship teams do:
Control your boards
Be efficient at the charity stripe
Limit turnovers
Play D

you are lucky to win if you aren't efficient in all of these 4 areas

bama allowed to many offensive rebounds and shot poorly from charity stripe
2 of 4 aint good

I am glad Bama made the Sweet 16 but I am also sad they let a GREAT opportunity for the Elite 8 get away from them. Great teams don't shoot free throws like Bama does (year long problem and not one night).

1617199776879.png

mando

Sideline Club
I am glad Bama made the Sweet 16 but I am also sad they let a GREAT opportunity for the Elite 8 get away from them. Great teams don't shoot free throws like Bama does (year long problem and not one night).

View attachment 17264
Agree with your points but I would clarify the FT shooting. I think most games they did a good job but they had the occasional hiccup at the FT line. If they simply hit their average (71.9%) they win the ucla game. They would have basically gone 18-25 so 7 more points. Heck they could have simply gone 50% and won the game.

Davestwin

Sideline Club
Missing the free throws definitely hurt Bama but they also only hit 25% of their treys. Combined it’s really amazing they made it to OT. They definitely did not lose to a better team though ... and to me that hurts worse. This so reminded me of years past when Bama would consistently make the Sweet Sixteen but could go no further.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
Missing the free throws definitely hurt Bama but they also only hit 25% of their treys. Combined it’s really amazing they made it to OT. They definitely did not lose to a better team though ... and to me that hurts worse. This so reminded me of years past when Bama would consistently make the Sweet Sixteen but could go no further.

History pretty much tells us the Sweet Sixteen is Bama's ceiling. Really good teams but not Great. I will accept really good. Hell Nate might be able to breakout of that 16 thing. We'll see.

Bama Club
Sometimes the best team doesn't win there is no doubt in my mind in this case. Missing FT's, Jones getting two fouls in the first minute. After watching Mich/UCLA I believe we would have made the Final Four had we beat UCLA. That's a big deal.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Bama Club
Not that anyone was holding their breath waiting but I believe enough time has passed for me to offer my .02 without getting too emotional

This one hurt me like an Alabama basketball game hasn’t hurt me in a long time but at the same time I am as excited about the program as I have been since CWS was stalking the hardwood

The comeback run to start the 2nd half had me thinking magic was in the air and that pass by Q and freaking 30 footer from Reese at the end of regulation thoroughly convinced me that all flaws aside I was witnessing destiny. Welp I just didn’t realize destiny was wear light blue with yellow numbers

UCLA was better. I really wanted to see UA play Mich. I like Juwan Howard and what he has done but I wanted to see the Tide in a battle with his team. I think UA was capable of beating any team in the field of 64 this year. Unfortunately they couldn’t put it together to beat a hot (extremely hot in today’s hindsight) UCLA team

It was a damn fine season that way more than exceeded my personal expectations and both happily and somewhat sadly I began to hope for even more as I watched them play but hell as bad as the loss hurt it feels damn good to be a fan of this program and it’s future under CNO’s leadership

Many thanks to the guys who stayed when they could have gone and a special place in my heart and mind for Herbert Jones who worked his ass off to become an extremely important and inspirational member of an exclusive club

Roll Tide folks. I’m already counting the days till we get to see CNO Year 3

mando

Sideline Club
Not that anyone was holding their breath waiting but I believe enough time has passed for me to offer my .02 without getting too emotional

This one hurt me like an Alabama basketball game hasn’t hurt me in a long time but at the same time I am as excited about the program as I have been since CWS was stalking the hardwood

The comeback run to start the 2nd half had me thinking magic was in the air and that pass by Q and freaking 30 footer from Reese at the end of regulation thoroughly convinced me that all flaws aside I was witnessing destiny. Welp I just didn’t realize destiny was wear light blue with yellow numbers

UCLA was better. I really wanted to see UA play Mich. I like Juwan Howard and what he has done but I wanted to see the Tide in a battle with his team. I think UA was capable of beating any team in the field of 64 this year. Unfortunately they couldn’t put it together to beat a hot (extremely hot in today’s hindsight) UCLA team

It was a damn fine season that way more than exceeded my personal expectations and both happily and somewhat sadly I began to hope for even more as I watched them play but hell as bad as the loss hurt it feels damn good to be a fan of this program and it’s future under CNO’s leadership

Many thanks to the guys who stayed when they could have gone and a special place in my heart and mind for Herbert Jones who worked his ass off to become an extremely important and inspirational member of an exclusive club

Roll Tide folks. I’m already counting the days till we get to see CNO Year 3
Well said @Elderfalsedemigod. I will always have much higher expectations for Bama football but it was sickening to see how far the basketball program had gotten. Growing up in the 70's and college in the 80's I had seen great players and really good basketball at Bama. There was no reason it shouldn't be at that level consistently.

This team frustrated me at times with their inconsistencies but one thing was for certain, they were going to give effort and show toughness. That is the foundation that gives me great optimism for the future especially with the talent Oats is bringing to Bama.

Roll Tide!!!! Bama a Championship school - works for me....

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
You can't shoot 44% from the charity stripe and expect a W. A lot like turning it over 3-4 times in the Red Zone in football. Great season none the less. The culture has changed and Oats has A LOT of talent on this roster and A LOT more coming. UCLA in my opinion was under seeded. Definitely better than an 11 seed, maybe as high as a 5 or 6. They executed their plan better than BAMA and got the W. It still would've been nice to have beaten UCLA and I think we would've boatraced Michigan to get to the FINAL FOUR. The Zags would likely run us out of the gym though. They are just so damn efficient!! They remind me of our football team. Head and shoulders above everyone else!!

Top Bottom