| MBB/WBB Alabama Men’s Basketball Earns Season Sweep of Auburn with 70-58 Win

mando

Sideline Club
The D enables them to overcome shooting slumps until they are able to go on a run to open up a lead. Free throw shooting has also been good. I have not checked the stats but it feels like the Barn owned them some on the boards. The great D caused the barners to have a ton of turnovers to overcome any difference on boards.

Feels like the team will go as far as the D will take them. This team has the ability to go on a run. Hope they do.

Last edited:

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Definitely a win keyed and locked up by defense

UA only had 7 turnovers vs 20 something for the goat udders. UA was also in double digits for steals

Good win. Keep chugging along. I am taking the stance that the longer the shooting stays below average (comparatively speaking) the better chance it comes back around for the tourney. 😜

mando

Sideline Club
The best part of the game (looking back of course) was when the Barners pulled to within 5 and then Bama threw a 10-0 run haymaker and the Barners folded like a cheap tent. Hopelessness and acceptance that they were being swept showed in their body language. It was a beautiful thing.

UA Press Release

Official News Releases
Ivory Club

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The No. 8/5 Alabama men’s basketball team used a big second half run to pull away from in-state rival Auburn, taking a 70-58 victory in the regular season home finale Tuesday night. The Crimson Tide complete a season series sweep of the Tigers for the first time since 2014-15 as it finished the season with a home record of 12-1.

With its victory, Alabama improved to 20-6 on the season and earned the 15th win in SEC play (15-2) which is tied for the second-most league wins in school history. Only the 1986-87 team that finished 16-2 in league play had more conference wins.

Guard Jaden Shackelford led the way with 23 points on 5-of-9 shooting from deep to collect his team-leading fourth 20-point game of the year. Guards Jahvon Quinerly and John Petty Jr. each had 11, while forward Herbert Jones added 10 points and led the team with nine rebounds, six assists and three steals in the victory.

Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments

“This was a good win for us. It’s great to finish the home conference season unbeaten. I thought our defense was great. Our defense has carried us for a month now. I cannot say enough about the job our guys are doing with the defense. We turned them over a lot with 23 turnovers. The only issue I saw was defensive rebounding because we gave up too many second chance points. Shack works so hard, so I am happy he started making shots. He was great tonight with 5-of-9 from three. Maybe we can get more of our shooters going. We needed the offense tonight from Shack. I thought Petty Jr. gave a great effort because he has been playing so hard lately. He got offensive player of the week not too long ago and he has really given effort and locked down on the defensive side. This means so much to our seniors. They have really bought in and we have something special. We are a better defensive team than I have ever coached. We are top five in defense in the country for two months. We have hung our hat on defense lately, but we are going to have to work on our shooting.”

Team Stats

• The Tide finished with a season-low seven turnovers while forcing a season-best 23 turnovers by Auburn that resulted in a 24-6 advantage in points off turnovers
  • Alabama ended league play a perfect 9-0 at home, which marked the first time it has finished unbeaten in Coleman Coliseum during SEC play since the 2012-13 season
  • UA remains unbeaten on Tuesday night, improving to 10-0 this season
  • The Tide’s 13 steals marked the second-most this season and helped UA to a 24-6 lead in points of turnovers
  • Alabama is now 18-0 when holding a halftime lead this season
  • It marks the first time since 2012-13 the Tide has recorded at least 20 wins during the regular season
  • The last time UA collected its 20th win in 26 games or less came in 2004-05 when it had a 20-4 record through 24 games

TerryP

Ivory Club
Optical illusion here.

EvhYJiwXMAIfFfQ

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Crimson Tide Club
Not going to try and outshine the tireless years and effort from seniors like Petty, Herbert, and Reese, but this has to work wonders for recruiting. Not known as a basketball school, go outside to find a coach, different philosophy, get a few top recruits to come in and buy in, and to win a regular season SEC Championship. Simply amazing. Just think of what it's going to be like with another year of the same system, another year of working with the same coaches, most of the same players, bringing in more top rated recruits. Should be fun to watch.

Congratulations to the Seniors and the rest of these guys that have come a long ways to earn this. What an accomplishment for these guys. Saw Reese tearing up as the game ended and made my eyes swell up a little, because I remember my last games ever at home. Luckily he has two more tournaments worth left! Roll Tide.

bamafan4ever

Scholarship Club
Not going to try and outshine the tireless years and effort from seniors like Petty, Herbert, and Reese, but this has to work wonders for recruiting. Not known as a basketball school, go outside to find a coach, different philosophy, get a few top recruits to come in and buy in, and to win a regular season SEC Championship. Simply amazing. Just think of what it's going to be like with another year of the same system, another year of working with the same coaches, most of the same players, bringing in more top rated recruits. Should be fun to watch.

Congratulations to the Seniors and the rest of these guys that have come a long ways to earn this. What an accomplishment for these guys. Saw Reese tearing up as the game ended and made my eyes swell up a little, because I remember my last games ever at home. Luckily he has two more tournaments worth left! Roll Tide.

I saw that too. I really appreciate this class. They stuck it out, didn't transfer and played their hearts out. Roll Tide to each and every one of them!

MunchyOs

auburn h8r
Century Club
How did the barn end up back in the postseason? I thought that they were on a one year self imposed ban. Last night, one of the commentators mentioned who he thought the barn would draw in the SEC tournament. So, did they rescind their self imposed ban or something?

TerryP

Ivory Club
How did the barn end up back in the postseason? I thought that they were on a one year self imposed ban. Last night, one of the commentators mentioned who he thought the barn would draw in the SEC tournament. So, did they rescind their self imposed ban or something?
They aren't. The bracket is already set for 13 teams.

Top Bottom