| NEWS Alabama begins its search for their new basketball coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
There's pro's and con's to each and every name and I've seen dozens of names thrown out there these past few weeks with each one having both.

"We should hire Kelvin Sampson! Look what he's doing with Houston!"

The same Sampson that ran afoul of the NCAA rules not once, but twice?

Folks. Y'all are on the clock. Who's your guy? What's his pro's? And, the con's?

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
There's pro's and con's to each and every name and I've seen dozens of names thrown out there these past few weeks with each one having both.

"We should hire Kelvin Sampson! Look what he's doing with Houston!"

The same Sampson that ran afoul of the NCAA rules not once, but twice?

Folks. Y'all are on the clock. Who's your guy? What's his pro's? And, the con's?

Pretty feeble attempt of your part. In that, you at least felt compelled to start this thread, why don't you get out the old slide rule and crunch the numbers for us? You make it sound like this is going to be some kind of subjective process.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Not sure why we got a double entree there.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Does Bama try to get a college or does Bama try to get a Pro coach?

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Let's be 100% honest here, people are not going to beat down the door to come coach Bama basketball because our athletic department will not make the commitment to be a big player in that sport. Our facility is poor and fans do not support the bad product on the floor (who can blame them). Its time Alabama decides if they want to make a move or just accept being a middle of the road program. Just my opinion.

Here are some guys that are mentioned in an article from earlier in the season. I am not saying any of these are the coach I would want hired but it does make for some interesting reading.

If I could get someone to come to Bama, I would probably go after Richard Pitino at Minnesota. He is young, has a firm foundation in basketball from his father and has done a good job at Minnesota.

Another name is Greg Marshall at Wichita St. His teams are solid in the fundamentals and usually makes a run in the dance.

Mick Cronin at Cincinnati he is my first choice.
Record: 296–146
Education: University of Cincinnati
Annual salary: 2.2 million USD

Last edited:

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Steve Prohm!?! Not the flashiest or most expensive hire, but the guy has done a pretty damn good job in Ames, Iowa!!!! 3 NCAA tourney appearances with no worse than a 6 seed. 3 seasons of 20+ wins, 2 Big 12 tourney titles, at $2 million per year.

Billy Donovan- in the next to last year of a $6 million per year gig with OKC. Thunder currently sit in 5th place and pretty much squarely in the playoffs. Are we going to really open up the checkbook to make him walk away?

What promises will it take to get someone like a Donovan? A completely new basketball only facility? Maybe? Maybe not! Maybe the renovation would be enough but would have to move to Phase 1 of the Crimson Standard instead of being a couple of years away.

I don't know who it will be. I just want more consistency from our basketball program!!!!

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Century Club
Reaction score
List from a poster on The Bama Rant....Donovan is out of the question …..

If I can make 8 recommendations.

1. Steve Forbes-ETSU
2. Thad Matta
3. Steve Prohm- Iowa State
4. Chris Beard- Texas Tech
5. Eric Musselman- Nevada
6. Nate Oats- Buffalo
7. Bobby Hurley- Arizona State
8. Billy Donovan

The Forbes guy was with Bruce at 10RC when the Grilling took place so he has a little NCAA stain on him but only due to Bruce

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Ha...ha..ha...
...i wont even say it....cause it aint gonna happen....
But in 4 years we gonna be right here saying same thing....
So...screw it...no f’ing opinion on this...already wrote Greg and told him mine...

planomateo

Ready to put Tejas in the rear view, hello Montana
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Need to ensure we don't get one of these guys caught up in the FBI's corruption case. The timing of this is less than desirable.

Century Club
Reaction score
I would not rule out Sampson the man can recruit and coach. There are few coaches out there that haven't broken a few rules. He made some phone calls outside recruiting period? Pearl is working for the barn and he is no saint the NCAA suspended him. And there is no way Donnavan is coming to T-Town.

Last edited:

MunchyOs

Verified Member
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Kelvin Sampson. Period. Let the past be the past. And even still, I'd rather roll the dice on someone who ran afoul of the NCAA than go with another no name. When Johnson was hired, nobody had any idea who he was. As for feeling bad for the man getting fired, no sympathy here. First, there is the buyout, but shit, let's skip that for a moment. The WORST thing that will happen is he will be on an NBA sideline next season as an assistant. I do believe the man will be just fine

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
I would not rule out Sampson the man can recruit and coach. There are few coaches out there that haven't broken a few rules. He made some phone calls outside recruiting period? Pearl is working for the barn and he is no saint the NCAA suspended him. And there is no way Donnavan is coming to T-Town.
Here's where the thought of Sampson doesn't sit well with me at all.

Yes, it was impermissible phone calls which isn't as big of a deal today as it was back in the '00's. But, it's the fact he was caught once at OU and sanctioned for those violations. He turned around and did the same thing at Indiana. Due to his actions he left two schools in trouble with the NCAA COI. Again, for the same thing.

If that isn't a blatant case of "I'm going to break the rules no matter the consequences" I don't know how to define his actions. And it's not like this was a couple of dozen phone calls. There were nearly 600 reported in one case.

Let's look around for a minute.

At LSU we have the "Free Will Wade" group willfully ignoring how their team was built, whether or not it was within the rules matters little, and they've adopted the attitude "I don't care as long as he's winning."

At Auburn we've got the same attitude. A group proud of their wins in spite of the person (term used strictly in a scientific sense.) Cheater. Snitch. Liar. All three words describe him because all three are true; proven in fact.

Everyone has their choice, or wish, for a new coach. He's not one of mine.

As an analogy there are a few I don't play golf with any longer because they have habitually used their "toe iron" to get out of tough places. All because they'd rather have a piece of paper say 88 instead of 90. I don't care for that type of person. It's cheating. No if's, and's, or but's about that.

I don't care for either of those two coaches. They are both blatant cheaters. Repeatedly so. And, I don't want either to be a part of the University.

Century Club
Reaction score
Here's where the thought of Sampson doesn't sit well with me at all.

Yes, it was impermissible phone calls which isn't as big of a deal today as it was back in the '00's. But, it's the fact he was caught once at OU and sanctioned for those violations. He turned around and did the same thing at Indiana. Due to his actions he left two schools in trouble with the NCAA COI. Again, for the same thing.

If that isn't a blatant case of "I'm going to break the rules no matter the consequences" I don't know how to define his actions. And it's not like this was a couple of dozen phone calls. There were nearly 600 reported in one case.

Let's look around for a minute.

At LSU we have the "Free Will Wade" group willfully ignoring how their team was built, whether or not it was within the rules matters little, and they've adopted the attitude "I don't care as long as he's winning."

At Auburn we've got the same attitude. A group proud of their wins in spite of the person (term used strictly in a scientific sense.) Cheater. Snitch. Liar. All three words describe him because all three are true; proven in fact.

Everyone has their choice, or wish, for a new coach. He's not one of mine.

As an analogy there are a few I don't play golf with any longer because they have habitually used their "toe iron" to get out of tough places. All because they'd rather have a piece of paper say 88 instead of 90. I don't care for that type of person. It's cheating. No if's, and's, or but's about that.

I don't care for either of those two coaches. They are both blatant cheaters. Repeatedly so. And, I don't want either to be a part of the University.
Fair enough you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I respect it. Bama BB is at a crossroads hope Byrne makes a good decision.

Last edited:

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
When Johnson was hired, nobody had any idea who he was.
I'm sorry, but what? No one knew who he was?

Perhaps you meant no one saw his name coming as a prospective coach at Bama?

Reaction score
Let's be 100% honest here, people are not going to beat down the door to come coach Bama basketball because our athletic department will not make the commitment to be a big player in that sport. Our facility is poor and fans do not support the bad product on the floor (who can blame them). Its time Alabama decides if they want to make a move or just accept being a middle of the road program. Just my opinion.

Here are some guys that are mentioned in an article from earlier in the season. I am not saying any of these are the coach I would want hired but it does make for some interesting reading.

If I could get someone to come to Bama, I would probably go after Richard Pitino at Minnesota. He is young, has a firm foundation in basketball from his father and has done a good job at Minnesota.

Another name is Greg Marshall at Wichita St.
His teams are solid in the fundamentals and usually makes a run in the dance.

Mick Cronin at Cincinnati he is my first choice.
Record: 296–146
Education: University of Cincinnati
Annual salary: 2.2 million USD

Brice Drew at Baylor, look at what he has done in Waco.
Once upon a time, didn't Bama try to hire Marshall and he refused and laughed them off?

No Huddle

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Not sure who we could get but I like Ron Hunter from GA State. 8 season 3 NCAA appearances and a ton of wins.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Century Club
Reaction score

There are men who have changed Alabama basketball over the years, some with names that are barely remembered now.

There was Lindy Hood, Alabama’s first All-American so far back that he might have been shooting into a peach basket. There was Johnny Dee, the coach who beat Adolph Rupp. Then came C.M. Newton, who revitalized the program and brought in the first black players, putting Wendell Hudson on the elite list.

There was Wimp Sanderson winning SEC tournament championships and Antoine Pettway, carrying the Crimson Tide to the Elite Eight with competitive fire. There were other players who maintained tradition or, like Collin Sexton, added a chapter.

But Steven Whitley?

Whitley was one of the players who came to Norfolk state’s post-game press conference. Like many players at small schools that rarely get press coverage at all these days, he was refreshingly honest in his answers, uncoached in the art of coachspeak. He wasn’t arrogant, or taunting, although he might have had a bit of a tiny chip in his shoulder, not entirely inappropriate for a player from the often-ignored MEAC. So when asked about Alabama, his answer was direct — and telling.

“We saw (them) in warmups and thought that it was going to be sweet, the way they (were) lagging around and stuff,” Whitley said.

Skip.....You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!

Larry..Lollygaggers!

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Once upon a time, didn't Bama try to hire Marshall and he refused and laughed them off?
Before Johnson, though I'm one of the opinion "laughed them off" isn't an accurate way to describe how that transpired. Quite a few moving parts in that story including wife and children. And that's not even mentioning he's a bit of an odd duck. He turned down UCLA at one point as well, didn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom