| PRO AAF: Trent Richardson scores winning TD as the Iron win 12-9 over Salt Lake

Reaction score
The Saturday night games had more viewers than the NBA...….

By comparison, Sports TV Ratings also tweeted that the NBA on ABC averaged 2.524 million viewers in the same time slot. It's not worth getting up in arms about the exact numbers, or which one did better, because there are a few variables at play here. Chiefly, the AAF is novel while the NBA is in the middle of its lengthy regular season.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Reaction score
The Saturday night games had more viewers than the NBA...….

By comparison, Sports TV Ratings also tweeted that the NBA on ABC averaged 2.524 million viewers in the same time slot. It's not worth getting up in arms about the exact numbers, or which one did better, because there are a few variables at play here. Chiefly, the AAF is novel while the NBA is in the middle of its lengthy regular season.

That's cool I wonder if CBSports has half the subscriptions of ESPN, much less an ABC station?

In any case I actually enjoyed it and I'm not sure I turned it on with any expectations.

As for the Memphis Cajuns, it seriously looks like the bayou boys got shut out again.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
HARRY'S
Reaction score
What I like the most was the way the flags were handed. Also getting to listen to them talk about it!

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Reaction score
I was impressed overall. Orlando walked all over Atlanta and I felt a little sorry for Simms.

The Birmingham game was very good IMO. I really enjoyed seeing TR get to play again. I hope he can maybe parlay this into one more chance in the league but if not then I still love watching him. X Dickson looked decent also.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Reaction score
I'm thinking this new league is the forerunner for NFL change anyway. I really liked the 35-second clock and the lack of commercials was a pleasant change of pace. As soon as folks figure out that kickoffs aren't missed that much maybe the NFL takes another look and the rest will be football history. I even like the 2 point conversion. Not a bad look overall for week one.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Reaction score
TR is going to have to do a lot more than 2.5 YPC with a fumble even with the 2 TD and 2 pt conversion. Hope he can build on this though.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking this new league is the forerunner for NFL change anyway. I really liked the 35-second clock and the lack of commercials was a pleasant change of pace. As soon as folks figure out that kickoffs aren't missed that much maybe the NFL takes another look and the rest will be football history. I even like the 2 point conversion. Not a bad look overall for week one.
The no commercials is the one that will probably never happen. Kickoffs may be going soon everywhere as they really serve little purpose now. The 2 pt conversion and clock are definitely good changes. Honestly, you could cut a good 20 minutes off games with the removal of kickoffs and just limiting commercial time to a certain amount per quarter. Limited commercials would be good for the networks as they could then use the scarcity to charge more.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Reaction score
TR is going to have to do a lot more than 2.5 YPC with a fumble even with the 2 TD and 2 pt conversion. Hope he can build on this though.
Both running backs were getting hit in the backfield for most of the game and Perez was running for his life a lot. Hard for TR or anyone else to "do better" than what he did. He gained 40 of his 58 yards in the fourth quarter alone. When the offensive line actually started opening holes, TR wore out that defense. He seemed to be finding and hitting holes (when there were some) a lot better than he had previously.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Reaction score
Both running backs were getting hit in the backfield for most of the game and Perez was running for his life a lot. Hard for TR or anyone else to "do better" than what he did. He gained 40 of his 58 yards in the fourth quarter alone. When the offensive line actually started opening holes, TR wore out that defense. He seemed to be finding and hitting holes (when there were some) a lot better than he had previously.
Not going to disagree. Offensive lines were generally complete shit for most teams, which is bad with the rush limitations the defense faces. But he still showed bad vision at times (there is one image of him going directly into a pile of guys instead of hitting the hole that was wide open that is telling).

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Reaction score
The ugly: Calling an unsportsmanlike penalty for Trent spiking the ball in the endzone.
The Alliance of American Football has made data analysis a top priority, and part of that is putting chips in every football to track the speed and trajectory of balls that are thrown and kicked. Unfortunately, that means no giving footballs to fans as souvenirs.

Trent Richardson found that out the hard way on Sunday.

That wouldn’t be a penalty in the NFL, but as explained by FootballZebras.com, the AAF wants to hold onto all its footballs for budgetary reasons. Apparently those chips are too expensive for a startup league to afford giving them to fans.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Reaction score
Defenses usually project better than offenses in the first games. The league looks like they want to spread it out and play more fun and gun. To do that you must have a good QB. I think we have ours.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
Reaction score
The Alliance of American Football has made data analysis a top priority, and part of that is putting chips in every football to track the speed and trajectory of balls that are thrown and kicked. Unfortunately, that means no giving footballs to fans as souvenirs.
If you're on Twitter, I noticed that Pro Football Focus now has a section of their staff dedicated to following the AAF. I believe it was @PFF_AAF but don't hold me to that.

Reaction score
Trent is best when he doesn't attempt to shake and bake AT ALL.. just hit the dayum hole and get what he can. The problem was the defense was in the Iron backfield thus Trent had to try and shake the 1st guy and then he is done due to lack of quickness. He is what he is and he is not going to get any better. His vision is ordinary and his quickness is not elite but he can run you over in a second. Most all the yards he made were him carrying folks with him. The Iron replaced the QB on the goal and had a spread type play and #33 walked into the endzone.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Reaction score
Trent is best when he doesn't attempt to shake and bake AT ALL.. just hit the dayum hole and get what he can. The problem was the defense was in the Iron backfield thus Trent had to try and shake the 1st guy and then he is done due to lack of quickness. He is what he is and he is not going to get any better. His vision is ordinary and his quickness is not elite but he can run you over in a second. Most all the yards he made were him carrying folks with him. The Iron replaced the QB on the goal and had a spread type play and #33 walked into the endzone.
Trent's quickness was actually pretty solid last week. I mean he's never been Derrick Henry levels of fast but there was one particular play, which they did an overhead shot of that was great. He took a pitch and IMMEDIATELY a linebacker was in his face but he made a beautiful sudden cut and made the guy grasp at air and then he quickly ran through the hole (what little hole there was) and picked up a couple. To me that said he's at least gotten back to where he once was in terms of quickness and has improved his field vision.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
Reaction score
Odd image...kicking with the toe?

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Reaction score
I've never really read Trent well enough to understand what is going on with his style since he left Bama. I thought 2 of his best plays for the night were the passes he caught. One on one or in short yardage situations he looked like the young bull I remember so well. If B'ham can eliminate all the penetration by the defense it looks like both of our running backs can run downhill. Anyway, I'm looking forward to round two this weekend.

Top Bottom