| BSB/SB “A knuckleball is a curveball that doesn’t give a damn”

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I wasn't a great pitcher in school but had decent control so I could place my pitches. I did get to where I could throw a knuckle ball. Only problem it was hit or miss from game to game. One game I recall it was one of those hit games. I through that pitch almost every pitch. It is hard to hit when it is working. When it doesn't oh crap lookout.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Some greats lived by it....catchers really hated it..with that big mitt

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
I can't remember which pitcher it was, but when he came in for relief he brought the catcher a waffle iron mitt with him.

I caught, pitched or played shortstop from Babe Ruth through high school. Went to college to catch but couldn't hit college pitching. One of my HS pitchers had a knuckle curve that was dastardly. Like the last guy in the video, I would take deflections or direct strikes from him. He also had the best fastball on the team, too, up in the 80's, not bad for a small country school, but with Nuke LaLoosh control. Umps were so easy, you could pull pitches or just catch the insiders in the pocket and the outsiders in the webbing. After his warm-ups, more than one would crouch in and say, "if you take care of me, I'll take care of you." If you took one in the dirt with no one on, you knew you'd get the next few calls.

RTR,

Tim

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I thought the best at the time were the two brothers Phil and Joe Niekro. Not knuckleball, but close. Joe while at Houston he did and in view, showing how to toss a spitball. He may be the one that was also tossed for the most spit ball tosses.

Top Bottom