NEWS A few potential candidates for Alabama offensive coordinator

G

Google News!

The news of Mike Locksley taking Maryland’s head coaching job has been expected for a few days, so Alabama likely had a head start searching for a new offensive coordinator.

A few names immediately come to mind as the Crimson Tide looks to fill this position for a third straight season.

Dan Enos

Alabama’s quarterback coach is already in place and has a strong relationship with both Tua Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts. He’s been an offensive coordinator at four different schools, most recently at Arkansas from 2015-17. It would be a natural fit as Nick Saban hired from within when Locksley was promoted from receivers’ coach to OC after last season. He led the Razorbacks to the No. 29 total offense in 2015 averaging 465.5 yards per game.

Josh Gattis

Another current assistant, Gattis is an up-and-comer in the business who is among Alabama’s best recruiters. The 34-year old is the Tide receivers coach leading arguably the best unit this program’s ever had. Gattis, the No. 17 recruiter nationally in 247Sports, brought in some of Alabama’s top commits for the 2019 class. Five-star Antonio Alfano of New Jersey wasn’t considering the Tide until Gattis left Penn State for Tuscaloosa. Keeping Gattis on staff will help that recruiting base solid.

Hugh Freeze

The former Ole Miss coach’s name is circulating with a number of jobs though it’s unclear if the SEC will approve a hiring. Alabama was interested in Freeze for an off-the-field job last offseason. He is now the offensive coordinator of Arizona’s AAF franchise where Phil Savage is the general manager.

Larry Fedora

Recently fired as head coach at North Carolina, Fedora is known for his creative offenses. He was OC at Florida and Oklahoma State before turning around the Southern Miss program as head coach from 2008-11 before heading to North Carolina. The spread offense was a big part of his rise in the coaching world. Fedora reportedly turned down the Alabama offensive coordinator job in 2007, according to The Oklahoman.

Mike Samford

Like Fedora, Samford was fired at Western Kentucky after two seasons in Bowling Green. The 36-year old was Notre Dame’s offensive coordinator from 2015-16 after a season at Boise State. Samford also spent three seasons as an offensive assistant at Stanford from 2011-13.

A few potential candidates for Alabama offensive coordinator

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
I have strong feelings toward Enos in this one. The QBs love him and they have been better for being coached by this guy. He was great at adapting his offense to the Allens at Arkansas and he can spread you out and he can organize out of the pro set. It's hard to believe he came to Alabama as a QB coach and not be sitting on ready for the next step up.

Bamabww

Bench Warmer
HARRY'S
We've read where both QBs spoke highly of Enos and Saban as well. Since he turned down the offer from the Viles, maybe he has already been told to be patient.

I find it interesting that AU and UT both are supposedly after Freeze, yet he has not been announced anywhere. Reports out of UT on Friday was that they wanted to have an OC in place in the next 24-48 hours. It's Wednesday and they have not made any said anything.

Whether it’s Freeze or Enos, think the offense will not miss a beat. I think Enos deserves a shot, but I’m pretty sure Saban respects Freeze and what he was able to do at Ole Miss , hence the reason for wanting him as an analyst this year.

These assistants need to sign a contract stating they won’t leave until after the playoffs. I’m sick of out coaches getting poached and it’s basically a given that we’re going to the CFP every year.

Whether it’s Freeze or Enos, think the offense will not miss a beat. I think Enos deserves a shot, but I’m pretty sure Saban respects Freeze and what he was able to do at Ole Miss , hence the reason for wanting him as an analyst this year.
I would hate to see us hire Sleeze. Way to soon to have him representing us on the field and recruiting to our school.

I haven't really researched it, but how good was Butch Jones as a coordinator or QB coach? He may have been goofy but certainly wasn't caught cheating and lying and carousing.

I would hate to see us hire Sleeze. Way to soon to have him representing us on the field and recruiting to our school.
By whose definition? He's past his suspension dates and those only applied if he was hired as a head coach within the first year of the sanctions handed down.

Rivals will scoff and point fingers but they already are saying "Bama and Saban are cheating."

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
I think the logical choice is Enos. He has the experience in play calling and he has a good relationship in the QB room. I think the drawback to Gattis is the lack of play calling experience. Bring Freeze in and have him coach a position like TEs next fall.

sk33tr

el jefe
HARRY'S
These assistants need to sign a contract stating they won’t leave until after the playoffs. I’m sick of out coaches getting poached and it’s basically a given that we’re going to the CFP every year.
you know, i agree with this. yes, you want your assistants to move up if they're talented enough to do so. but i'd like it if they stayed at the current job until it's done (and by "it", i mean the season). hell, Kirby stayed until after the national championship game before he left; even though he'd already accepted the UGA job. so i wouldn't mind a line/paragraph in their contracts stating if they accept a head coaching (or other) position at another school, they have to wait until after the season. i know schools that are looking to hire a head coach are wanting them in place as soon as possible. but if you go to a school who is in the midst of the playoffs, then they need to understand who they're getting. also, there's a reason they're wanting them....they're a good coach.

By whose definition? He's past his suspension dates and those only applied if he was hired as a head coach within the first year of the sanctions handed down.

Rivals will scoff and point fingers but they already are saying "Bama and Saban are cheating."
yep. every time i hear/read someone say this...i always ask where there proof is. and if they can show me definitive proof that Coach Saban and/or Alabama is cheating then i'll give them all the credit in the world. otherwise, they're just whining 'cause they're not winning.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
I understand your frustration. But, I have to offer a different side of that view here.

How many coaches do you see getting "plucked" from other SEC staffs and hired into head coaching positions? So far, one, right? Tucker to Colorado? You don't see people 'raiding' the LSU staff, or the Florida staff. It's a unique place and one I'm proud of—even with the transitions it creates.

How many coaches did you see being "plucked" from Bama's staff when Shula was here?

Getting Freeze would be enormous. He's got an elite mind for spread offense, and they will need to replace much of the innovation leaving with Locksley.

Enos is great, he just has different strengths. He and Freeze, with Gattis, would be unstoppable.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
JMO

Promote Enos. I think it is the only way he will be retained is if he gets the OC position.

I personally do not want Freeze, especially if it costs Enos.

Locksley has done an an amazing job this year and deserves tons of credit. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't understand football IMO

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
HARRY'S
I don't care who he hired! As Long it not
I understand your frustration. But, I have to offer a different side of that view here.

How many coaches do you see getting "plucked" from other SEC staffs and hired into head coaching positions? So far, one, right? Tucker to Colorado? You don't see people 'raiding' the LSU staff, or the Florida staff. It's a unique place and one I'm proud of—even with the transitions it creates.

How many coaches did you see being "plucked" from Bama's staff when Shula was here?
But this too, has Saban stamp on it too!

Top Bottom