| NEWS A College Football Playoff change is looming, and a 12-team model leads the way

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
In this century, what new power team emerged? If we go back 50 years and count it'll likely be on one hand.

Now they're giving more money to the power programs. What happens?
Kinda don’t understand....
"In this century?"
my thought was....decade to decade.... some will surface....like a Clemson...
Blue bloods ... that have been down will rise..( maybes).USCw..Texas...Michigan...FSU...types. Not necessarily "new" but haven’t been around the top in awhile...

so n the next decade....I wouldn’t expect...final 4s being osu, bama, clemson, Oklahoma.... might be...might not be... if its these same 4-6-8 teams....
I would be surprised...

TerryP

Ivory Club
so n the next decade....I wouldn’t expect...final 4s being osu, bama, clemson, Oklahoma.... might be...might not be... if its these same 4-6-8 teams....
I would be surprised...
Earlier you mentioned basketball going to the 64 format. We still see the same teams out of a 350 school field.

Now we're talking about football. Historically, we see the same teams. A few pop in, pop out, but it's still a blue blooded society.

NCAA: "Let's add more money to the coffers."
Blue Bloods: "We're already ahead of the game, thanks for giving us a bigger advantage."

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
They will for awhile. Then they wont...new power teams will emerge...new innovative HCs... others will retire. Move to nfl..

I understand what you're saying, and there will be some teams sprout up here and there, but for the most part there are two handfuls of teams that own a majority of the National Championships after over 150 years of playing ball. In this day and age, fundraising is the key to it all as on campus facilities and teams get the players and see the results (minus Texas :ROFLMAO: ).

Just a simple quick graph I found on Google. That's only to 2015, so add a few more for Alabama, two for Clemson, one for LSU. Yale, Princeton, Harvard, Penn, and Minnesota are pretty much irrelevant at this point considering when they won all of their titles. That really does leave you with a handful of serious contenders and a handful of potential.

1623682548555.png

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
I understand what you're saying, and there will be some teams sprout up here and there, but for the most part there are two handfuls of teams that own a majority of the National Championships after over 150 years of playing ball. In this day and age, fundraising is the key to it all as on campus facilities and teams get the players and see the results (minus Texas :ROFLMAO: ).

Just a simple quick graph I found on Google. That's only to 2015, so add a few more for Alabama, two for Clemson, one for LSU. Yale, Princeton, Harvard, Penn, and Minnesota are pretty much irrelevant at this point considering when they won all of their titles. That really does leave you with a handful of serious contenders and a handful of potential.

View attachment 17904
Got ya...awesome graph....I definitely dont disagree....
Could throw in a few...like you said....
AU n Tennessee had a run...lsu....Florida... for sec teams...

i do believe it will be a handful of those powerful conference teams...uppercrust...

But along will come a "dust cloud"team...outta no where..

For the most part.... but my point was...wont be sameo 4.... 6...8

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Earlier you mentioned basketball going to the 64 format. We still see the same teams out of a 350 school field.

Now we're talking about football. Historically, we see the same teams. A few pop in, pop out, but it's still a blue blooded society.

NCAA: "Let's add more money to the coffers."
Blue Bloods: "We're already ahead of the game, thanks for giving us a bigger advantage."
Got ya...blood blues will maintain a hold...

but...but...as in basketball....there will be a hot riser...even kinda the way Miami roses from the ashes and became a power powerin the 80s. Or a Tennessee in tne 90s ( although without the success of Miami...)...
Florida...

be a few new names here nthere...maybea texasAnM

mando

Sideline Club
Notice some missing things in that chart? Only one SEC school. That is how I see the SEC and always have. These Johnny come lately's like UF, LSU... are just that.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Notice some missing things in that chart? Only one SEC school. That is how I see the SEC and always have. These Johnny come lately's like UF, LSU... are just that.
And yet I'm betting there's more parity found in the SEC than there is found in the other P5 schools. Bama, LSU, UGA, and AU have won the SEC in the last decade. How many other conferences have four different schools as champs over the last decade? I guess the B1G is the closest with three?

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
And yet I'm betting there's more parity found in the SEC than there is found in the other P5 schools. Bama, LSU, UGA, and AU have won the SEC in the last decade. How many other conferences have four different schools as champs over the last decade? I guess the B1G is the closest with three?
ACC is the only P5 with less than four (three). Five for PAC12 and, if you count co-champions before they installed their championship game, five for the Big 12. Big 10, four.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club

View attachment 17904
Business Insider is the worst "news" website on the internet.

mando

Sideline Club
My key phrase was Johnny come lately's. No sustained long term success. Same goes with SEC basketball there is UK and the rest of us. Not saying the last couple of decades have not seen more competitiveness in the SEC but blue bloods are decades in the making.

Oh and the last 2 decades with some of the other programs stepping things up just highlights even more how impressive Bama is and has been under Saban.

Roll Tide Gentleman!!!!

SoCalPatrick

Sideline Club
Kinda don’t understand....
"In this century?"
my thought was....decade to decade.... some will surface....like a Clemson...
How quickly forgotten is the Clemson team Bama defeated in 2008 was a top ten team when the two met. They had seasons in the '90's where they were ranked #1. The same with the 1980's. They didn't just show up, they are a traditional football power school. A "have" in the world of the "have's and have not's."

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
How quickly forgotten is the Clemson team Bama defeated in 2008 was a top ten team when the two met. They had seasons in the '90's where they were ranked #1. The same with the 1980's. They didn't just show up, they are a traditional football power school. A "have" in the world of the "have's and have not's."

The term "Clemsoning" also followed them for years for a reason. Clemson and Georgia very similar until lately with Clemson taking it next level.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Uh yeah. Where couldn't he start right now maybe outside of Clemson? He played an entire year at USC to give you an idea of what he was capable of, not just the 3 teams you named.
Hold up here. His year at USC (2018) featured about as many touchdowns as it did interceptions on a five win Trojan team. He played one game in '19, four last season for UGA against weak competition.

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
Hold up here. His year at USC (2018) featured about as many touchdowns as it did interceptions on a five win Trojan team. He played one game in '19, four last season for UGA against weak competition.

He was also a 17 year old Freshman that reclassified late and thrown into the fire at USC with very few weapons. While he should have been playing at Mater Dei, he was playing at USC and was serviceable considering. My entire point is that he has better standing than Bo Nix, Emory Jones, Myles Brennan, and countless others across the country. I forgot about Spencer Rattler, so probably Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ole Miss, possibly USC where he could not start. I like Slovis. Once again, my entire point after all of this is that he could start at 99% of other schools in America right now and is better than "not decent".

I don't really understand the weak competition comment, because Mac Jones and every other great quarterback out there plays that same competition and does well. He didn't falter against that competition, he simply played what was put in front of him by Georgia's administration.

Look, I'm not saying he's the best guy out there, just stating he's a decent quarterback. When compared to what the rest of the SEC is putting out there this Fall, there is an argument he is one, if not the best returning quarterback. Corral makes a great statement for that #1 spot as he fits in at Ole Miss well and one could consider a system quarterback, but Daniels ain't far behind. I don't agree with the Heisman chatter, but that's just chatter. Daniels still needs to show he can shine for a full season, there's no denying that, but you really can't hold against him a torn ACL that has taken away half his career, and a serviceable performance under the circumstances.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club

yep. Ur right i had not remembered any part of clemson being a constant national power...

looking at record....i see them Auburnish...highs n lows. ...
Occasionally a very good team....even a natty in 80...

lots of 7-8 win sessons...

i dont call clemson a traditional national power

dabo has done a hellva a job

31BB20C2-6B92-4332-917E-7DF6E69F0FD6.png

Top Bottom