| NEWS A College Football Playoff change is looming, and a 12-team model leads the way

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
JMO but they will stick with 12 since all parties get covered in doing so. Those teams making the 12 will ALL need injury luck just in the playoffs to get that big ole trophy. Add in the problem with QB's not wanted to stick around and be the backup could jump up and bite even the best team in the playoffs. I like Bama's chances.

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
Dude, start anywhere in the country? He's done what to prove he's "better than decent?" Surely you're not making that judgement based on games against MSU, UofSC, Mizzou, et. al.

Uh yeah. Where couldn't he start right now maybe outside of Clemson? He played an entire year at USC to give you an idea of what he was capable of, not just the 3 teams you named.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
The more I look at this, the more I see fans getting screwed.

“The first-round games would take place on campus sometime during the two-week period following conference championship games. The quarterfinals would be played on Jan. 1 -- or Jan. 2 when New Year's Day falls on a Sunday -- and on an adjacent day.”

Fans will know after the conference championship games who’s in. So fans of all 12 teams will know where their first games will be played (even the top four teams will know they await the winner of the first four games unless the #1 team gets the lowest ranked winner of the first four games). So what’s the timeframe for fans to make their hotel and travel plans? We all know that travel expenses to bowl cities are jacked up. The closer to the game, the more the price goes up. Under the existing CFP four-team playoff, fans are “only” subjected to one short planning cycle. Now fans could be subject to three. That can get expensive.

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club

“The first-round games would take place on campus sometime during the two-week period following conference championship games. The quarterfinals would be played on Jan. 1 -- or Jan. 2 when New Year's Day falls on a Sunday -- and on an adjacent day.”

Fans will know after the conference championship games who’s in. So fans of all 12 teams will know where their first games will be played (even the top four teams will know they await the winner of the first four games unless the #1 team gets the lowest ranked winner of the first four games). So what’s the timeframe for fans to make their hotel and travel plans? We all know that travel expenses to bowl cities are jacked up. The closer to the game, the more the price goes up. Under the existing CFP four-team playoff, fans are “only” subjected to one short planning cycle. Now fans could be subject to three. That can get expensive.

Yes,air plane tickets will be too much. This is a horrible idea and money grab is all.

Is everyone forgetting these kids do in fact go to class? Traveling that much into Spring semester can't be good for retention.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Can you name one thing in this world where one can decrease the scarcity of a product and maintain its value? Money? They print more, the value drops.

Playoff spots. You create more, the value of the product drops.

It's literally that simple.
There is the demand factor in some respects. Build more houses, but not just fast enough. Illogical example, but bitcoin mining hasn't kept pace with investor folly. But, your point on the playoffs is valid.

RTR,

Tim

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
I agree with @OldPlayer . The fans will be faced with some hard decisions. Take in the conference championship or one of the playoff games. As @BamaFan334 said, airfare will go thru the roof, not to mention hotel rooms, most of which will gouge you for a 3 night minimum. As for @50+yeartidefan , the G5 team “might” win one in 10 of the first round games, but I seriously doubt they make it to the semifinals or even a final. Using the professional leagues as examples is like apples and oranges. Pro teams are just that, pros. They’re older and bodies are better conditioned for the longer grind while college guys not so much. We all know teams 1-4 ( Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, OU) will likely be the true contenders with 5-8 having a slim shot, while 9-12 are going to get abused when quarterfinals start. 9-12 literally have a snowballs chance in Hell! More is definitely not better!!

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
He decommitted from USC after they signed their 2016 class. He was a member of the 2018 class. Daniels, 2019. Daniels committed to USC after Corral had decommitted.

There were character issues with Corral to go along with Daniels' rise at Mater Dei. With St. Brown in the fold I honstely feel Corral knew what would happen. Didn't he decommit from Florida as well?

TerryP

Ivory Club
There were character issues with Corral to go along with Daniels' rise at Mater Dei. With St. Brown in the fold I honstely feel Corral knew what would happen. Didn't he decommit from Florida as well?
Yep.

I can't answer what the relationship between Monk and Daniels is be in the fall. Something about the match doesn't sit right.

There's a receiver issues I play into that as well.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club

Fans already have had 3 or 4 outside regular road games...
Kickoff classics...conference championship game....maybe make top 4 so thats 2 more games ( for bama last bunch of years)

so...if a fan with money wants to do some they can....period
One or two or more....and travel plans can be made quickly...do that all the time

Dont see an issue....its just what value one puts on going to see live football
Otherwise....TV it

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
As for @50+yeartidefan , the G5 team “might” win one in 10 of the first round games, but I seriously doubt they make it to the semifinals or even a final. Using the professional leagues as examples is like apples and oranges. Pro teams are just that, pros. They’re older and bodies are better conditioned for the longer grind while college guys not so much. We all know teams 1-4 ( Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, OU) will likely be the true contenders with 5-8 having a slim shot, while 9-12 are going to get abused when quarterfinals start. 9-12 literally have a snowballs chance in Hell! More is definitely not better!!
I never said...i agreed with putting a G5 team in....although we know its one of reasons to expand...occasionally one may deserve it...probably not regularily( that was a good Boise State team that beats Oklahoma though)

i only said such about professional leagues....because they are 100% business related...they expand for-money......period...these expanded playoff....is lookingmore like that...

yep...Some abuse will occur in quarter finals....as it has in NC game...so what..is that a reason not to have games...
There will also be upsets... that oblong shaped ball bounces funny sometimes...

but whatever... going to be afew more meaningFUL games....sit back...watch and enjoy...
to many searching for reasons to hate the idea of expansion.... as there was when wewent to BCS and then to 4 team format..( and when basketball expanded to64+)

Top Bottom