| NEWS A College Football Playoff change is looming, and a 12-team model leads the way

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Not one of these three teams would have won against the final four last season. Cincy, a worthy opponent, because they played a UGA team (without a decent QB) closely in the bowl game?

how can you say that....?

Thats why games are played.... because of the games...the players...the intangibles...

now...if you said ..."very little chance" i would buy that...

major upsets all the time...

Rememeber that ball is funny shaped and takes funny bounces all the time...

TerryP

Ivory Club
Nope. Meaningless bowl game
A pile of shit is still a pile of shit no matter its name. A game between two teams that is meaningless in the post season bowl games is still meaningless if it's now under a playoff name.

The heirarchy will remain the same, the product that is the playoffs is being watered down (and that's being kind)
how can you say that....?
History. Of the games I've mentioned in this thread the vast majority of them give the favored team a 90% chance of winning. I know how the lines are set and using that knowledge its pretty easy.
now...if you said ..."very little chance" i would buy that...

major upsets all the time...
90% chance. Ok, very, very little chance and when a team is winning 1 of 10? That's certainly not all the time. Far from it, in fact.

However, now we can look at what these teams fielded last season. And again I'm right back at no chance.

BTW, when a team is only favored by seven they hold a 75% chance of winning and of these hypothetical games last season would have fallen right in line with history.

TerryP

Ivory Club
If this goes through, do you think this forces Notre Dame to join a conference?
I have to wonder how they'll react when ranked in the top four and playing their first game on the road against a lower ranked team. I think I heard their AD mention a run to the title from that spot would be 16 games for them. It's no different than say Bama running the table except the break/rest time falls differently (which I see making a big difference.)

Now, their current contract with NBS runs through 2025. The window for a change is there.

*They also have an agreement/contract if they do join a conference it has to be the ACC through the middle of the '2030's.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
@TerryP So we agree. "Very little chance". I buy that....
But a chance there is! Upsets all the time in all sports....
Otherwise...just play it out on paper...

"Pile of shit"....lol. "Meanless no matter its name". Bet you had a fit when bball expanded to 64...
playofffs are attractive....are meaningFUL... bowl games .....except for hard core football junkies...or fans having a team involved are meaningLESS

Notre dame will do what they want...andwill command the others to give them what they want....i dont like it....but it wil happen

contracts.....made to be RE-negotiated.... happens all the time....especially if it benefits all parties...been there..seen iron clad ones go up like smoke...
they usually only have standing if the parties don’t agree

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Phillip Marshall:

“The same handful of programs has dominated the past decade of college football. Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State have been regulars in the four-team College Football Playoff, with the likes of Auburn, Notre Dame, Georgia, Florida State and LSU making appearances, too.“

Anyone care to guess what's wrong here? :ROFLMAO:
Whats wrong? Maybe i am mis reading this but....( he added AU...which hasn’t?.)
he is just saying past decade...
Back in 90s teams would havebeen Tennessee...PennState...miami....ohio state...USCw....fsu....etc
Many different names than today...
.in the 2030s....the names most likely will be different

TerryP

Ivory Club
Whats wrong? Maybe i am mis reading this but....( he added AU...which hasn’t?.)
he is just saying past decade...
Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State have been regulars in the four-team College Football Playoff, with the likes of Auburn, Notre Dame, Georgia, Florida State and LSU making appearances, too.“

He is saying Auburn has been in the CFP. They haven't. There are teams missing that have made it as well.

rocknthefreeworld

Century Club
He is saying Auburn has been in the CFP. They haven't. There are teams missing that have made it as well.
Oregon, Michigan State, Washington made the playoffs once each and Oregon made it to the Championship game (losing to Ohio State).

Oklahoma is easily the worst to make it to the playoffs so far. Four times they made it and came out 0-4 for their trouble. Notre Dame is second with 2 appearances and 0-2 in them.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Crimson Tide Club
Not one of these three teams would have won against the final four last season. Cincy, a worthy opponent, because they played a UGA team (without a decent QB) closely in the bowl game?

Alabama vs Cincy would have been a 25+ point spread. Liberty (over 38) and Coastal (25+) are even worse.

JT Daniels is better than "decent". He started at USC as a 17 year old freshman that reclassified a year earlier. He was a five star even with reclassification and wasn't terrible being thrown in the fire. Now I'm not saying he'll live up to the lofty preseason expectations, but he could start anywhere in the country.

TerryP

Ivory Club
JT Daniels is better than "decent". He started at USC as a 17 year old freshman that reclassified a year earlier. He was a five star even with reclassification and wasn't terrible being thrown in the fire. Now I'm not saying he'll live up to the lofty preseason expectations, but he could start anywhere in the country.
Dude, start anywhere in the country? He's done what to prove he's "better than decent?" Surely you're not making that judgement based on games against MSU, UofSC, Mizzou, et. al.

TerryP

Ivory Club
@TerryP So we agree. "Very little chance". I buy that....
But a chance there is! Upsets all the time in all sports....
Otherwise...just play it out on paper...

"Pile of shit"....lol. "Meanless no matter its name". Bet you had a fit when bball expanded to 64...
playofffs are attractive....are meaningFUL... bowl games .....except for hard core football junkies...or fans having a team involved are meaningLESS

Notre dame will do what they want...andwill command the others to give them what they want....i dont like it....but it wil happen

contracts.....made to be RE-negotiated.... happens all the time....especially if it benefits all parties...been there..seen iron clad ones go up like smoke...
they usually only have standing if the parties don’t agree
Can you name one thing in this world where one can decrease the scarcity of a product and maintain its value? Money? They print more, the value drops.

Playoff spots. You create more, the value of the product drops.

It's literally that simple.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Can you name one thing in this world where one can decrease the scarcity of a product and maintain its value? Money? They print more, the value drops.

Playoff spots. You create more, the value of the product drops.

It's literally that simple.
I guess. A lot is how you define value and what are contributing aspects that increase or decrease that value

if you look at major leagues Nba. Nfl. Mlb
They obviously think increasing participation in post season is good. All have expanded. And what they put value on ($$$$$$ ... top priority obviously) Whether you or i think it's good is a different story because we value competition!!!!
but again. March madness is pretty exciting.
i think an expansion of more than 4 would be good for CF. I dont like 12. But i dont like bowl games either. I was hopefully for 2-4 to be added. Also could make more and better ooc games for teams in regular season. A team like bama in 2013 should have a shot. Osu in 2017. AnM in 2020
I certainly dont like " automatic qualifiers "

my take

TerryP

Ivory Club
This will only increase viewer value if a Cinderella happens. And it will happen at some point down the road, although it might be 20 years.
As in a G5?

The transfer portal is going to kill their product.

We're already seeing how this is killing high school kids opportunities. Louisville is reported to be offering 10-12 of their initials to high school kids. That's 15+ scholarships lost to kids. Where do they go?

G5, who will be continually raided by P5.
Now enter JUCO who will be continually raided by G5.
Now do DII.
Now do DIII.

Don't get me wrong. This is GREAT for the "have's."

Not so much for those they are trying to help.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
This will only increase viewer value if a Cinderella happens. And it will happen at some point down the road, although it might be 20 years.
Oh cinderella will happen. Make no doubt about it....
May not win the NC. But win a game...( puts them in final 4)or 2....( puts themin NC game)
Will have a hot shot QB....a few breaks....

yeah...some will dream of bigger n better things and join the portal...
All that will even out over time...the "paying"of players will hinder a lot of smaller programs....

Still wouldn’t surprise me if 12 was thrown out as a bargaining chip...negoiate down to 8

Top Bottom