| NEWS A College Football Playoff change is looming, and a 12-team model leads the way

mando

Sideline Club
I just read about the government having talked about the NIL! But it won't work till a big name movie star goes in front of those and tell them what is going on!
When I see a "celebrity or athlete" speak about politics or social stuff I shut if off. Tired of listening to it because they do not know anything worth me listening to. They are purely their as a propaganda machine.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Unless I've missed it there's one part of this story that's hasn't been addressed yet. If it's a 12 team model that's approved that means there will have to be "byes" awarded to teams. There's already notions that the top teams should be penalized scholarships for their success which leads me to think there will be objections to having the top seeds get a bye in week one of the playoffs.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
Unless I've missed it there's one part of this story that's hasn't been addressed yet. If it's a 12 team model that's approved that means there will have to be "byes" awarded to teams. There's already notions that the top teams should be penalized scholarships for their success which leads me to think there will be objections to having the top seeds get a bye in week one of the playoffs.
Yep 1>4 get 1st round bye to make this thing even work with 12.

seeds 5 thru 12 play 1st round game (that would be game 13 for some or 12 for others). 4 games

Round two has 1>4 seeds playing the winners of round 1 (game 14 for some 13 for others) 4 games

Round three has winners of round 2 playing (game 15 for some and 14 for others) 2 games

Round 4 Final (game 16 for some and 15 for others) 1 game

Amirite

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
Saw this on the rant......12 it is

Sources tell

@RossDellenger

and I: Expect news this afternoon from the College Football Playoff management committee. After a meeting today, a release is coming based on a recommendation for an expanded playoff.

quote:

Sources tell me &

@ByPatForde

that the CFP working group is recommending a 12-team playoff: 6 highest-ranked conference champs & 6 at-large. The 4 highest-ranked champs get a bye while other 8 play 1st-round games on campus. Long way from done, but this is the recommendation.

PurlJam

Bama Club
So last year the SEC would have had us an aTm guaranteed and probably Florida and Georgia as at large being ranked in the top 10. Yeah, that's gonna work out real nice for SEC haters ... ain't enough cheese in Wisconsin for all that whine when the SEC ends up with more than 2 teams in it.

TerryP

Ivory Club
So last year the SEC would have had us an aTm guaranteed and probably Florida and Georgia as at large being ranked in the top 10. Yeah, that's gonna work out real nice for SEC haters ... ain't enough cheese in Wisconsin for all that whine when the SEC ends up with more than 2 teams in it.
It'll average four. Look at the rankings in the last few years

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
I hope they go ahead and move to this plan asap. In most years (in the past) that SECCG wouldn't have made much of a difference other than one team got a SEC Champs rings in addition to going to the playoffs.

Nick's is going to need to buy a larger coffee table for his office.

rocknthefreeworld

Century Club
The middle 4 get to host the first round. The top 4 never host a game since they get a bye. I don't see how that goes over too well really. With the second round being January 1-2 I would think just use some December 20th type bowls for round one.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
I agree with Peter Burns. More SEC teams will find their way in with as many as 3-4 teams getting a bid. These automatic qualifiers will hurt and likely lead to even MORE blowouts in the early rounds than what we have seen in many semifinal matchups. Like @TerryP said, a BAMA versus Cincy matchup wouldn’t scream great matchup nor would it send tv ratings through the roof. Likely a ESPN 2 game at 7 or 8:30 in the regular season.

In a twelve game playoff, you play a cross-divisional regular season game against the eventual division winner, you could potentially play them three times - regular season, SECC game and playoffs. Bama-Florida this year could show that.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
I think with the extra games, injuries are going to be an issue for teams at times (look at how beat up Alabama was after the Ohio State game... lots of guys played through injuries)... but... as long as Saban is the head man, I'm just not worried about any of it. He will adapt like he always does and win the trophies. After Saban retires? I reserve the right to complain about how dumb it is.

TerryP

Ivory Club
The only part of this new playoff format BS that makes sense
IF they're going with the four highest ranked conference champions getting the bye week that would have meant Cincy would have received a bye last season. Since they've said the highest six ranked conference champions now we're also including Marshall and Coastal Carolina.

Three of the top six automatic bids are going to G5 teams?

This doesn't make sense to me.

At larges would be a bit of a crap shoot, right? Clemson, Texas A&M, Florida, BYU, Indiana, and Wisconsin?

This move for inclusion once again leaves out the PAC. Here it would also have left out the Big12. I'm not sure how the cards would fall but it looks to me like BAMA would have faced the winner of Marshall vs Wisconsin. (Do you think that Marshall vs Wisky game is going to get a lot of eyeballs? :rolleyes: )

Top Bottom