| NEWS A College Football Playoff change is looming, and a 12-team model leads the way

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Twelve is too many. Six to Eight at most. P5 champs ranked in the top 10 only, highest ranked G5, the rest are at-large. Notre Dame can join a conference or go practice Catholic Roulette on themselves, they aren't special and should fall behind the G5 at all times.

I am still more of a fan of playing the bowl then picking the 2-4 playoff teams.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
12 is a lot. But top 4 gets byes other 8 play replacing some bowl games

be lot more interesting than some crap bowls but........
12 is to many ....6 or 8 would be better
But definitely expand. 4 is just not enough with 5 major conferences and some independents ( ND or BYU)
Group of 5 ummmmmm
I guess but I question

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Is the intent of the playoff to include more teams or have the best teams play for a championship? The drop-off to number four is pretty apparent.

Number 4 seed has won its semifinal game twice in seven years.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Wiki page isn't bad... College Football Playoff - Wikipedia

Over the past seven years, eleven P5 champions have been excluded from the playoff. Of those eleven not selected, nine had two or more losses. No two-loss teams have ever been included in the playoff. Over the past seven years, a total of nine one-loss P5 teams have been excluded from the playoffs, and that includes three teams from this shortened year (No. 5 Texas A&M (8–1), No. 11 Indiana (6-1), and No. 17 USC (5-1)).

There is just no data that supports an expansion beyond going to, at most, six. I think it should stay the same.

RTR,

Tim

mando

Sideline Club
Wiki page isn't bad... College Football Playoff - Wikipedia

Over the past seven years, eleven P5 champions have been excluded from the playoff. Of those eleven not selected, nine had two or more losses. No two-loss teams have ever been included in the playoff. Over the past seven years, a total of nine one-loss P5 teams have been excluded from the playoffs, and that includes three teams from this shortened year (No. 5 Texas A&M (8–1), No. 11 Indiana (6-1), and No. 17 USC (5-1)).

There is just no data that supports an expansion beyond going to, at most, six. I think it should stay the same.

RTR,

Tim
Political and driven by the inclusive crowd (everyone gets a trophy). It will not get presented that way it will be all about giving deserving teams a place at the table.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Let's just make it a 64-team playoff (with two play-in games) and we'll make everybody happy.

Twelve teams allows teams who don't deserve to be in the playoffs to be in the playoffs. If the Pac12 sucks, they shouldn't get an automative bid. If the ACC sucks, they shouldn't get an automatic bid. If the Big12 sucks, they shouldn't get an automatic bid.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Twelve teams allows teams who don't deserve to be in the playoffs to be in the playoffs. If the Pac12 sucks, they shouldn't get an automative bid. If the ACC sucks, they shouldn't get an automatic bid. If the Big12 sucks, they shouldn't get an automatic bid.
I think the idea @rocknthefreeworld had on conference champs have to be ranked highly is a interesting parameter.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
I think the idea @rocknthefreeworld had on conference champs have to be ranked highly is a interesting parameter.

If you are really looking for the best, it only makes sense. In 2018 9-3 (at game time) Washington won the Pac12 by beating an also 9-3 Utah. They would have still been in because they were number 9 in both polls after the PAC12CG. Top 10 is a stretch really.

252BAMA

AKA: ALA2262
Bama Club
Four is two too many. But it is what it is and inevitably it is going to be more. And more is going to be a cluster phuck no matter how they do it. I would have thought they would go from 4 to 6 to 8, etc.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
For some schools, being in the top 15 is "highly ranked." Some conferences (like the SEC) may have multiple highly ranked teams including some that don't make it to the conference championship game. You know if they agree to 12 teams there will be calls to move to 16 teams.

252BAMA

AKA: ALA2262
Bama Club
I don't think there would be as much clamor for expansion if they had gone with a true Plus One initially. After the Bowls there is little to no question as to the best two teams. What we have now is technically a Plus One because the Bowls are included in the CFP before the NCG (the Plus One). Would be a LOT less bitching and moaning if the selection of TWO teams was AFTER the Bowls. Half of the bitchers and moaners get eliminated with the Bowls. And all of the pretenders.

Last edited:

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
I agree with Peter Burns. More SEC teams will find their way in with as many as 3-4 teams getting a bid. These automatic qualifiers will hurt and likely lead to even MORE blowouts in the early rounds than what we have seen in many semifinal matchups. Like @TerryP said, a BAMA versus Cincy matchup wouldn’t scream great matchup nor would it send tv ratings through the roof. Likely a ESPN 2 game at 7 or 8:30 in the regular season.