| NEWS 9-11 - Where Were You 19 Years Ago Today?

bamachine

Master Debater
Century Club
Reaction score
I heard about the first plane, in my work van, on the way to do some IT work at a church/school. Was on site when the second plane hit and we immediately knew it was not an accident. As a non religious person, I actually took some comfort from my surroundings that day.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I'd been at work for a few hours, someone told me about the first one, walked into the break room to see the second hit. A really sinking feeling, and then just a growing anger. We were in the old IBM Tower in Midtown Atlanta at the time, and until they got the aircraft down there was a fear that other prominent buildings were at risk.

Krimson

Registered
Reaction score
Aboard USS Normandy, we were doing a general quarters drill when the Captain came across the 1MC and told us to turn the tv on. Naval base was chaos soon after.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
As a teacher, I don’t give grades. I’m more or less a babysitter for the teachers!😂 We still go thru all of the fundamentals, just no grades. I run a big fundraiser each year and have been a coordinator for the American Heart Association’s Jump Rope for Heart/Kid’s Heart Challenge for 22 years.

Bamabww

Bench Warmer
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Awaiting delivery of a washer and dryer. When the delivery guys arrived, they joined me in the living room and we watched CNN for an hour.

ElephantStomp

Verified Member
Bama Club
Reaction score
I was drilling a water well for a new house that was going to be built. Guy I was helping that day went into town to get parts and came back and said a small plane hit the WTC. I honest to god didn’t know exactly what happened until I got home at just after 5 that evening and turned my tv on.

Like many others that day changed the trajectory of my life. My career plan was to be in finance, I went school for economics, had accepted an offer from McKinsey and was set to start that next Monday. I decided I was going to join the military (was disqualified because of reconstructive surgery on my ankle), so I went back to college and became a firefighter/Paramedic for Dallas then became a cop 10 years later.

Destiny's Child

It's Rolling Baby
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
I was at my desk in Atlanta looking over cover options for our new issue and had just finished an argument with my editor about a piece I wanted to mention in the bi line. Had Fox News up on my screen where it was the top story but I hadn’t even noticed. The rest of my staff were staring at their screens staring blindly and hugging when I finally looked and realized something was very wrong.
We sent everyone home and shut the office for work.. some stayed and watched at the office and some went home to their families. We where an international media company so we had people from England, South Africa, Wales, India, Mexico and Ireland in that office. Many of them had become citizens, some of them in VISAs but all of them were upset and angered by what they saw.
I remembered that in that moment everyone, no matter what country they came from, what political party they supported or what arguments or differences that we had with each other, Came together and supported our country, our troops and showed incredible compassion and love for others.

While I was sad for the loss afterwards I was greatly encouraged by how we reacted. I pray we don’t have to experience that type of loss again in order to get back there

footballer

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I was at work, in the shop on that day, and heard about it on the radio, not very long after the first tower was struck. It was first believed to be just an accident, until the second plane hit. It was hard to believe and harder to watch when I saw it on tv later that day. I hate to say what I think happened that day, especially after learning about the third building, WTC7, the 47 story building collapse that for all intent and purpose, looked like a controlled demolition. The official explanation of why WTC7 collapsed is very lame sounding to me.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
I re-watched the National Geographic documentary on 9/11 on Friday. Heat resistant coatings were separated from the I-beams in the WTC when impacted by a 63-ton object moving at over 500mph. 2,000 degree fire will degrade the strength. Since the second impact was lower, more weight to create the fall. The towers were perfectly straight and of tremendous mass, not like me dropping a tree. It's physics, and any idea that there were folks in that building setting charges during the mayhem and while first responders were heading up is scandalous.

Rolltide24

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
I agree 11. He’s talking about WTC 7 I think. It wasn’t hit by planes but did get some damage from I think the North Tower falling. Had a bunch of generators in 5th floor for Solomon Brothers that caught fire. Fire spread throughout the building and the fire fighters were pulled out as they couldn’t contain and the risk was so high. It fell due to a couple of main beams/columns getting too hot and collapsing. Started caving around the 9-13th floors or something like that. This is from my memory which could be wrong. There were a lot of conspiracy theories about it being burned due to some things housed there. I never really got it. No one was injured or hurt in that building since it fell many hours after the trade centers fell and had been evacuated. Again, going on old memory but I do remember a bunch of conspiracy theories on WTC 7.

Top Bottom