| NEWS 9-11 - Where Were You 19 Years Ago Today?

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Where were you at and how did you find out about the planes hitting the World Trade Center buildings?

1599830068805.png

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I had just finished teaching a class and had gone into the library to get some materials that I had left in there. I walked in and the librarian told me what was going on, we both just stood in front of the TV in silence. May the families of those who lost loved ones on this day find comfort.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
At home with a newborn. I was in disbelief. I took as much cash outta the bank, stocked up on some food, and filled up as many gas cans as I could in the event things got wonky.

On the local news they showed videos of people jumping out of the buildings to escape the fires.

#NeverForget

Reaction score
I was in Orange Beach at the Phoenix 6 (I believe) about to go play golf at Craft Farms. Daddy died on 8/23/2001. I am glad he didn't see 9/11. I am even more glad he doesn't see the country as it is today. We're like Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket...we're in a world of shit.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Getting ready to go to work. As much horror as it was to watch, I learned later that the husband of a former co-worker lost his life. He was a fireman. RIP Sal Callabro.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I was in the middle of switching classes in high school. I ran into my Economics class to see the tv the teacher had turned on. I did not understand exactly what had happened and the severity at first, and it honestly took me a number of hours to see the faces and responses of so many others to realize how bad it was. I guess somewhat being young I knew absolute zero about terrorism and Osama Bin Laden, who for years was a thorn in our side. Once I finally learned about it all I was angered even more than I was knowing a lot of Americans had lost their lives.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Moving our daughter in the house she just rented. She had at that time a amst 6 year old, 2 year old, and a 10 month old. She came and told me as I was move her stuff into the house.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
What a sick and angry feeling i had.... was at work.....TV on...every one hugging and crying...
And then...
The second plane flew into the towers....didnt know how widespread or dangerous things were....so locked down the office......and started working on defense plan...
A lotof employees wanted to go home..so .....
Released them...called everyone back from field....had federal law guys block drive to office...
Was awful....went up-to school where ms50+ Taught......made sure they were ok...and secure......city police were already there...

what an awful day... still angry....still pissed...as we should all be..

Rolltide24

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Sitting in the office and heard Bob and Sherry say it looked like a small plane had flown in too early of the towers. Thought sounded interesting so me and a couple of coworkers pulled this old TV out of a closet and hooked up the rabbit ears to find out what had happened. I drove over to the bank to make our deposit and was in line when I saw the second one hit on the bank lobby TV. Have some coworkers now that were in mid-town and saw the 2nd one hit. We can all probably say it was one of the top 2 or 3 saddest days of our life. I was also very angry, as you were 50. Unfathomable act.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I was in the middle of teaching a kindergarten PE class when one of the teachers came in and told me about the first plane striking the tower. I made my way up to the office to see the 2nd plane hit. My heart sank!!! I traveled to NYC back in 2017 and visited the Memorial. Very somber and moving. Still bothers me to this day.

Bama Club
Reaction score
I was in Huntsville on a business trip staying at the Hilton Airport had to rent a car and drive back to Atlanta since no flights were allowed.
That day was surreal. A friend and teammate on my football team was killed in the Pentagon. Very sad day never forget.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Living off Wire Rd in auburn. I hadn't turned on the TV yet that morning, which was rare. Heard my wife (girlfriend at the time) come in from class just after 9 which was hours earlier than she usually came home. Thought maybe she was sick or something. I asked her what was up and she said, "they canceled classes and sent us home because we were at war." I thought WTF have I missed? We turned on the TV and watched it until well after midnight. The lines for the gas stations up the street were crazy because rumors were spreading that the foreign oil supply was going to be cut off. By that afternoon, stations were out of gas.

One weird thing that reminds me of it all the time is the news crawler at the bottom of the cable news stations. That all started on 9/11 because news and info was coming in from everywhere and it was a way for them to give more updates. The crawlers still run today. I hardly ever notice or read them, but when they do catch my attention, it always makes me think back to 9/11/2001.

We visited the site in 2008. It was still pretty much a huge hole at the time. I'll never forget walking by NYFD Firehouse 10 though. It was literally in the shadows of the WTC. They lost 5 guys that morning.

MunchyOs

auburn h8r
Century Club
Reaction score
I was at work and they had sent me somewhere. I started seeing long lines at all service stations. Grocery store parking lots were filling up fast as well. Not unlike back in March, except people were going after food items instead of toilet paper and hand sanitizer. The fuse to the radio (in the work vehicle I was driving) had blown, so I didn't know what was happening or what to even think. When I got back, there were TVs on everywhere. It was absolutely surreal. This day has double meaning for me. 16 years later on September 11, 2017 my father died suddenly when an aneurysm ruptured. The eerie thing was, about an hour or so earlier, he had just been saying that he couldn't imagine what all those families who lost loved ones had gone through on 9/11. Little did he know, his family had a really bad day coming.

RollllTide!

HEY Get up your killing the grass!
Bama Club
Reaction score
Was at home drinking coffee My wife called me off the porch and we watched until the second plane hit. We knew it was SHTF day. Watched Fox News all day. Never will forget and none of us should.

PurlJam

Century Club
Reaction score
At work.... Miller Steam plant (Alabama Power) I was an Electrician/Instrumentation journeyman at the time, just came in to the E&I shop for break and the first tower had been hit and we were watching when the 2nd one got hit...never forget it.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
Like others I was at work. Buddy of mine called and told me I needed to find a tv. Drug an old video monitor tv out of the closet and ginned up some rabbit ears. Tuned in just about the time of the second plane. Most surreal day I can remember

bama alum

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
What a rare sight! A whole crowd where no one gave a :poop: about Repugnants or Dummycrats...People rallied around a president and the country. We haven't seen this in least twelve years.

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
At the beach with my wife and 2 year old son. Had just awakened and turned the
tv on just as the 2nd tower took a hit.

MunchyOs

auburn h8r
Century Club
Reaction score
It's something to think back to this day two decades ago. It was the early 21st century, but it was basically still the 90's. It was still the "olden days". It didn't really stop being the 90's until around 2005 or so. Technology was evolving but still had a LONG way to go. There was no social media, no Youtube, no news apps, no text alerts. Cell phones had no internet access yet. We still had to get to the closest radio or TV to see what was happening.

Top Bottom