| BSB/SB đźĄŽ 2022 SEC Softball Tournament Championship ~ 1-seed Arkansas rolls to win SEC Softball Tournament

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
This team is extremely young but also extremely talented. The freshmen started hot and have faded badly as SEC play went on. The injury to Lexi has hurt us in the circle big time and obviously the timely hitting has come to a complete dead stop. But all that can change pretty quickly. We are hosting a regional and we always play better at home. Get a little momentum going and that timely hit and we could be back in OKC!
Until they're out, that's the only way to look at them.

They've not been winning with dynamics on offense all year. If you didn't know the team you'd look at the offensive stats and wouldn't think they'd be ranked.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Agree with some of the others. The good teams find ways to win anyways. Slumps also aren't a team wide issue normally. We have fallen a part. I can't speak specifically because I have only caught bits and pieces this season, but we are not a World Series caliber team. I want to dig more into our fielding errors and see when they happened. I feel we have an extraordinary amount of fielding errors and I have personally seen where they hurt us, so I'm thinking that kills otherwise great pitching performances when the bats go dormant.

True...the 2 fieldingerrors were awful...dropped pop...pitcher coudnt field a slow grounder....
it just happens... and when things don't go good....seems everything goes bad...

Cant get a clutch hit...pop up after pop up...yesterday...
But..did they make some great D plays too...
What a catch by the out fielder...andthrew 2 out coming home...

Alls not lost...

"Good pitching beats good hitting...and visa versa"

bamanc50

Sideline Club
True, but still aggravating. The 2 that transferred out are having better seasons than they ever had at BAMA.

Yep. Sides and Wallace having great year’s especially on offense. We could sure use their production. Someone mentioned earlier Bama needs more than a rah rah assistant but needs a real hitting coach. It’s past time for a change.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
Yep. Sides and Wallace having great year’s especially on offense. We could sure use their production. Someone mentioned earlier Bama needs more than a rah rah assistant but needs a real hitting coach. It’s past time for a change.
But they'd be talking about Murphy as much as Ally.

When you say it's past time, you're willing to give up Murph and where he consistently has these teams? Or, worse case scenario, one season where they don't make the WCWS?

Or is this about Ally? She's not going anywhere. She's as much of the foundation of the program as Murph considers himself. Great recruiter and has the support across the board from the team's.

bamanc50

Sideline Club
But they'd be talking about Murphy as much as Ally.

When you say it's past time, you're willing to give up Murph and where he consistently has these teams? Or, worse case scenario, one season where they don't make the WCWS?

Or is this about Ally? She's not going anywhere. She's as much of the foundation of the program as Murph considers himself. Great recruiter and has the support across the board from the team's.

I think most can agree getting hits, getting on base, and scoring has been the biggest problem for this team down the stretch. Just an observation but K B Sides played at Bama for 4 years and had 3 HR’s in 184 games. First year at Arkansas 12 HR’s in 52 games. That part of this team’s game certainly needs some help. IMO.

PurlJam

Bama Club
IMO….and that’s all this is.. my opinion. As I’ve stated before, if CNS won a NC in 2009 and that was it, us as fans would be screaming to shit can his ass today. Accountability should be the same across the board at Alabama. Murph is a good coach and has set a standard, I get that, the girls love him and I’ve seen it written where they would run through a brick wall for him but they’re not being asked to run through a brick wall, just win championships. One question, do you think CNS didn’t see where he needed to ramp up some offense to get to where he’s at today?...I think not. Maybe it’s just me, but I believe Alabama should excel above and beyond in every sport they compete in. :)

Last edited:

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
IMO….and that’s all this is.. my opinion. As I’ve stated before, if CNS won a NC in 2009 and that was it, us as fans would be screaming to shit can his ass today. Accountability should be the same across the board at Alabama. Murph is a good coach and has set a standard, I get that, the girls love him and I’ve seen it written where they would run through a brick wall for him but they’re not being asked to run through a brick wall, just win championships. One question, do you think CNS didn’t see where he needed to ramp up some offense to get to where he’s at today….I think not. Maybe it’s just me, but I believe Alabama should excel above and beyond in every sport they compete in. :)

You're not alone. At some point, making the World Series ain't enough. At a program like ours that has the funding and support, you have to win one every so often. It doesn't matter to me that a team will run through a brick wall for a coach, because losing programs have that bond. It's not unheard of to have that mentality at a lot of places. Not knocking him, but there is nothing worse than an employee that knows he has his job for however long he wants and not doing the things anymore to win. Not saying Murphy isn't just stating it's easy to get complacent and thinking being a Top 8 program and getting to the World Series is good enough. That's not the Alabama mentality I have come to see and expect.

Rsedge72

Sideline Club
Murph is a great coach. He shouldn’t go anywhere, but on the assistant front he needs some help. The game is changing, 6-7 years ago having a dominant pitcher would get you there (WCWS). Now you’ve got to score runs on a somewhat consistent basis. Personally if I where Murph, I’d go to the board and see if I could have some money to go talk to J.T. Gasso!!!!! I know that’s kind of a pipe dream, but hey “go for best”.
That being said, softball/baseball can be streaky and if you have talent, it get going all of a sudden ie bamas ladies

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
Last year bamas bats got going late in the season and they made a run. They just kind of fizzled out against fsu.
Hot FSU team at that time. I remember a lot making a comparison to the run they made a few years ago.

The bats gave us hope for a few innings in game two against FSU. That game goes to show how important Hemphill was last season. Five runs in game two, I think she had three RBI's.

S

SEC Sports

The 1-seed Arkansas Razorbacks claimed the first SEC Softball Tournament championship in program history with a 4-0 shutout win over the 7-seed Missouri Tigers on Saturday in Gainesville, Florida.

Chenise Delce, named the SEC Pitcher of the Year only one day earlier, needed just 68 pitches to spin the two-hit shutout. She did not walk a single batter and struck out five while lowering her season's ERA to 0.64.

The Hogs got on the board first when Danielle Gibson hit a single to bring home KB Sides for a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning.

The bats stayed hot for Arkansas in the second as Kacie Hoffmann tripled down the right-field line, followed by an Audrie LaValley RBI single. Marlene Friedman then singled home Hoffmann to score the second run.

With continued strong pitching from Delce and solid defense from the Razorbacks behind her, Missouri was only able to accumulate a pair of singles by leadoff hitter Jenna Laird. One of those came in the very first at-bat of the game.

Arkansas added two runs in the fifth inning to add to its lead. Sides walked to open the inning. Then Hannah McEwen singled and Sides came around to score on a Missouri throwing error, making it 3-0 Hogs. The final run of the inning and the game came after they loaded the bases and Gibson scored on a wild pitch.

Arkansas totaled 11 hits in all as Missouri used three pitchers. Four Razorbacks had two hits apiece, including McEwen, Taylor Ellsworth, Hoffman and LaValley.

Arkansas, ranked No. 5 in the country, improved its overall record to 45-9 while Missouri, ranked No. 22, fell to 36-20.

Up Next:

Both teams will find out their 2022 NCAA Softball Tournament fates in the NCAA Selection at 7pm ET on Sunday.

Bammerboy321

Bama Club
Murphy isn't going anywhere anytime soon, unless he decides it's time to hang it up. And unfortunately, he isn't very adaptable when it comes to how he approaches the game. It doesn't take a scholar to make an educated guess that teams that take the small-ball approach are more than likely not going to win a title. Courtney Deifel is in her fifth year at Arkansas, and you see the trajectory of that program based on their approach at bat.

But in Murphy's defense, he gets Alabama to compete at a high level. He's a victim of his own success. People are used to the standard he created, and we as fans instinctively want more. But it is frustrating to see such an obvious flaw in his coaching style prevent his talented squads from competing against Oklahoma for a national title.

bamanc50

Sideline Club
Murphy isn't going anywhere anytime soon, unless he decides it's time to hang it up. And unfortunately, he isn't very adaptable when it comes to how he approaches the game. It doesn't take a scholar to make an educated guess that teams that take the small-ball approach are more than likely not going to win a title. Courtney Deifel is in her fifth year at Arkansas, and you see the trajectory of that program based on their approach at bat.

But in Murphy's defense, he gets Alabama to compete at a high level. He's a victim of his own success. People are used to the standard he created, and we as fans instinctively want more. But it is frustrating to see such an obvious flaw in his coaching style prevent his talented squads from competing against Oklahoma for a national title.

It will be interesting to see the transfer portal in a couple of weeks.

Tidexc1

Sideline Club
Registered
Murph is loved and adored in the softball world and obviously pulls some of the best players in the country. He has in my opinion mismanaged the freshman a little this season and made some personnel decisions that ended up hurting us.

Once the freshman, who started out really hot, started to struggle with the SEC grind he benched them. Then they would play very sporadically and it is hard to get into a rhythm that way. Take for example Kendra Falby with Florida. Started as leadoff and was hot out the gate. She faded in SEC play like most freshman do but instead of taking her out he just moved her down the lineup. Takes some pressure off her but still consistent with her. She worked through her struggles and was doing great towards the end of SEC play.

Personnel wise, Skylar leaving hurt extremely bad and that was a case of them butting heads over playing catcher 2 years ago. Skylar is a very strong personality to say the least and Skylar does what she wants. That is fine if what she wants is what the coach thinks is best for the team. With KB she just didn't let Murph know in time that she was planning on coming back or else she would be in crimson this year too.

Having said all that, Murph does need to get some hitting guru over there and work with the girls way more often. Ally is fantastic at what she does and she shouldn't go anywhere. All teams hire outside people to come in and work with the girls. I am sure we have the funds to do more and to get the right people in place. Hoping for a great regional and then host a Supers the following week!

Top Bottom