| PRO 2020 NFL Combine Discussion and Results

Bama Club
Reaction score
The 2020 NFL combine on field workouts start 2/27 covered by the NFL Network.

2/27 - TE, QB, WR
2/28 - PK, ST, OL, RB
2/29 - DL, LB
3/1 - DB

Here is a preview of Tide players attending:

I'm looking forward to Ruggs attempting to break the Ross 40 yd. dash record 4.22.

B

Bama News

The 2020 NFL Scouting Combine officially begins today, and Alabama will be well-represented with 10 former players participating in the annual event in Indianapolis. Before the interviews, measurements and on-field drills begin, NFL draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah talked to reporters on a conference call and spoke highly of several Crimson Tide draft hopefuls.

Below is what Jeremiah said about six now-former Alabama players ahead of the Combine.

TUA TAGOVAILOA, QB
Q. What are your expectations for Tua's stock at the Combine?
"With Tua, it's just medical. And it's not -- his stock is not going to be impacted by what gets out in the media because what gets out in the media is going to get out for a reason. So I don't know that we're going to know where that's at. But I know that each individual team's doctors are going to get a chance to see him and find out what's going on there with the hip.
"And it's just different. A hip is different than an ankle and a knee. That's what obviously for good reasons concerns a lot of people. So you're going to get your doctors get a chance to see where he's at. He'll come to the recheck, get another look at him. I'm sure teams will want to bring him in and look at him even more there.

"So that information I'll be surprised. The only reason that information will get out is if a team wants to get it out, hoping that somehow he would end up dropping. So that's going to be interesting to see what happens with him on the medical front. I don't anticipate we'll get many answers there.

"But I do think that, provided long term health, there's no concerns, I think teams would be okay if they said he has to redshirt for a year. He can't play next year. I think if you're picking up there and you're Miami, the Chargers, the Panthers, I know Detroit has even considered it, I think if that would not impact your decision. If they said he wasn't going to play year one but he would return to full health, I think if you like Tua that would not bother you at all. So that's the question with him."

JERRY JEUDY, WR
Q. A lot of mock drafts have said Jerry Jeudy to the Raiders at 12 and others have said CeeDee Lamb. For John Gruden's offense, who do you think fits his style more? He likes his wide receivers to know all the positions, just their knowledge and IQ of the game, who do you think is a better fit?

"It's tough to answer that question because I have them touching each other on my sequence list. They're a little bit different styles, but I think both of them would fit beautifully in that system. I mean, Jerry Jeudy, just what do you value a little bit more.

"I think you can make a case for either guy. Jerry Jeudy, you're going to get a little bit more separation. You're going to get a little bit more route polish, which you could say that fits Gruden really well. I think he's going to play primarily inside. I think he's going to be a slot.

"But then when you look at CeeDee Lamb, I think you get a little bit more of an outside guy who can play inside, but I'd like to keep him outside. And then you're going to get a little more physicality and toughness run-after-catch with him. He's a little more of a contested catch player.

"If I'm looking at how does it fit with them, if you wanted a Z receiver and then maybe somebody that could come inside to the slot, gosh, I guess I would lean towards Jerry Jeudy on that one, for those two factors there. I think CeeDee Lamb, and I probably am going to play him outside, but he could do a little bit of everything as well."

HENRY RUGGS III, WR
Q. Appreciate this. You were just talking about the 40. I wanted to ask you about Henry Ruggs and just your evaluation of him overall and how much do you think, and impressive showing, record-breaking showing even. 4.2, 4.21, could do for his draft stock next couple of months?

"Everybody's talked about who will be the first receiver taken, is it going to be Jeudy or is it going to be CeeDee Lamb. I actually -- I firmly believe Henry Ruggs is in that discussion. I think it's a three-man race to be the first receiver.

"I think he's going to absolutely fly. Everybody knows it's coming. He's still going to do it. I think the second number will be a two. I don't know what the third number will be. But he's the closest thing to Tyreek Hill that I've seen, since Tyreek Hill entered the league. And just looked like he's been on a different speed than everybody else. This kid does the same thing. He's so sudden off the line of scrimmage. It's instant death for corners.

"He's just by them and it's over. You can use him on the jet sweep stuff. You can use him on kickoff return. I love watching him as a gunner on punt. Shows just how tough he is. And the thing that nobody talks about, the production for these Alabama kids, it's all somewhat limited because it's the best wide receiver corps I've ever seen in college football, because as good as these kids are with Ruggs and Jeudy, when you watch 17, Waddle, who wasn't draft eligible, that dude is a freak. He can fly. DeVonta Smith, a lot of us were surprised he didn't come out. He's a burner. Four legit first-round players at the receiver position.

"Some of the production doesn't blow you away, but Ruggs only dropped one ball. A lot of times, when you get these speed guys, you get inconsistent hands. This kid's got great hands and he can fly. Now, he's not nearly as polished when you're talking about his teammate Jerry Jeudy as a route runner. I am willing to bet if you went and polled the 32 defensive coordinators in the NFL, gave them the video of the top three receivers, said which of these guys do you not want in your division, I would be willing to bet a lot of money that Henry Ruggs would get the most votes.

That's the guy you do not want to face. That's why I believe it's not over who will be the first receiver. It's not a two-man race; it's a three-man race."

XAVIER MCKINNEY, S
Q. The Cowboys have a need at safety and they'll likely lose cornerback Byron Jones to free agency, what sort of fit do you believe Xavier McKinney and C.J. Henderson would be in Dallas?

"I think McKinney is the best safety in the draft. I think you're going to like him more closer to the line of scrimmage. He can play high, but he's better when he can drop down and play in the box. And he's also, he's a great communicator.

"And I had some scouting influences on me when I started that had come from New England. And Coach Belichick would always preach to those guys, you cannot win with a dumb safety. You've got to have an intelligent and good communicative safety. And I think that's what McKinney is to the point where they had so many linebacker injuries at Alabama they kind of played him down there in that nickel backer role and let him call the fronts and communicate.

"That is a skill that he has there, and he is -- I think he's one of the safest players in the draft. I think he'll be an unbelievably great fit in Dallas."

JEDRICK WILLS, OT
Q. Looking at the Browns at No. 10 and obvious need for offensive tackle. I know you mentioned a few of the guys and talked about them, but can you give your overview for the offensive tackle landscape as it relates to the Browns, and who might be the best fit for that outside zone scheme that Kevin Stefanski is bringing?

"I think when you look at Jedrick Wills from Alabama, he can really move and he's really good working up to the second level. Showed some of his athleticism there. A natural knee bender. Good in pass protection. He doesn't really get beat when you study Alabama. I think he's the second-best tackle in the draft. I think he could plug right in.

"He played on the right side -- you've got a left-handed quarterback in Tua, protecting his blindside. I think he could play on either side. I think he'd be a wonderful fit there in that scheme."

TREVON DIGGS, CB
Q. You brought up the Eagles needing a wide receiver earlier in the first round. But they also need help at cornerback. Who are a couple of guys that you would peg on maybe day two to kind of address the cornerback need or the safety needs that they have?

"Another name I would just throw in the mix would be Diggs. We'll see what happens with Diggs from Alabama who has got some Aqib Talib-type skills. But the question is just pure deep speed. But real fluid. Obviously Stefon's brother there, the wide receiver with the Vikings. Former wide receiver, kickoff returner. Really skilled athlete. The question is just how is his deep speed and he's just okay as a tackler."

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Boy, I hope for Ruggs' sake he atleast hits 4.3. The media has simply built this up like crazy and the way it all works he could fall if he doesn't. I have faith he can do it, I just hope he does do it.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Which has me thinking about some friendly wagers ;)

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
The media will turn that into his stock is dropping stories if unmet or if he outperforms expectations they will turn that his stock is rising story. Best of luck young man go make you some money.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
If they would have copied and pasted in table format is have listed a few that were entertaining.

Need to figure out something on the book....

bama alum

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Sorry...Debbie Downer post

TREVON DIGGS, CB
Q. You brought up the Eagles needing a wide receiver earlier in the first round. But they also need help at cornerback. Who are a couple of guys that you would peg on maybe day two to kind of address the cornerback need or the safety needs that they have?

"Another name I would just throw in the mix would be Diggs. We'll see what happens with Diggs from Alabama who has got some Aqib Talib-type skills. But the question is just pure deep speed. But real fluid. Obviously Stefon's brother there, the wide receiver with the Vikings. Former wide receiver, kickoff returner. Really skilled athlete. The question is just how is his deep speed and he's just okay as a tackler."

The latter has to be a reference to at least the last (or next to last?) TD LSWho? scored.

Bama Club
Reaction score
A lot of bad things can happen on the basketball court. I would not be playing this close to the draft.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
He played Intramural ball at Alabama. That's where I thought this video was from, because I saw it on Instagram forever ago, but maybe it was from high school. I know I saw a dunk video Mack Wilson posted a couple years back with all of them playing at the recreation center on campus.

Top Bottom